Close

Page 89 of 98 FirstFirst ... 8485868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1468
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 22
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. happyfreddy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    freddy
    When looking to those perfect wipers IŽll think most of Your fans here have of course the question:
    will they also be "motor-driven" ?
    If yes we only can wish You a good hand to realize the mechanics

Thanks for showing again Your very good job Roger
    QUOTE QUOTE #1322

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Ah! happyfreddy, no one dared to ask! As you may imagine, they will just be movable by hand; they are not even connected which means when one is moved, the other one does not.
    Thank you for your message, I appreciate it.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1323

3. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    He he I would he he Could be done with a wire and a tube, motor under the dash, or somewhere.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1324

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Sure, it could be done. With the tools I have at my disposal, no way; the space is also very limited (huge car, no space...). And the interest to have that feature is minimal...

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1325

5. markus68's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Markus
    Roger, you are a sir.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1326

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Be careful Markus: I could believe you!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1327

7. markus68's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Markus
    Believe it.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1328

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Who said that a Mark II is an easy car? As I'm preparing another batch of parts to be chromed, I wanted to include the vent window frames. Wait a minute: they are not ready! A small detail is missing: an art gutter on top of it. I'm surprised that nobody from the Mark II community asks about that missing detail...

By looking how to do that, I saw that it has to be very precise: it must not rub at the drip rail above it while opening the door and the vent window must not touch it either. At first I wanted to skip it but it's a part rather unique so I did try. Now, which thickness? 0.1 or 0.2mm?

As the clearance has to be tight, I opted for 0.1mm (0.004"). I could even silver solder the flange, allowing a little bit more heat when soft soldering the assembly to the main frame.

The following pictures are showing that gutter. Fortunately, the chrome on those parts is very thin!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1329

9. markus68's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Markus
    Great detail.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1330

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    After doing the same for the other vent window frame, I assembled those 2 parts to the chrome tree Continental Mark II . This morning, I went to the plating company with the tree Continental Mark II and the grille which will be nickel plated Continental Mark II . The boss promised me that the parts will be ready in one week.

Back side:

The grille:

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1331

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Since the third batch of parts to be chromed is at the outside company, I don't know with what I could continue. I still have the ceiling to do before the roof is soldered to the body, but it's too cold outside to deal with polyester. Inside, I have war with my better half! Therefore, I'm hunting for the small details which have to be done anyway! The gas cap is one of those details.

While I was at the details, I colored the tail lenses with transparent paint (Tamiya X-27). When I was doing those lenses, I had a problem with what looking like a crack where the plastic was sharply bent. With the paint, that crack is no more apparent...It was maybe an optical illusion, who knows...

On the real car the back-up lenses are not clear on the entire surface. The rear portion has a different inner surface, hiding the construction of the rear lamp. I tried to reproduce it with white paint; maybe media blast would be more effective but I don't want to go with that experience.

Continental Mark II
    Last edited by Roger Zimmermann; 01-29-17 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    QUOTE QUOTE #1332

12. Urshimato's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Frank
    Roger, that photo of the taillight assembly / petrol cap is beautiful.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1333

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks a lot Urshimato!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1334

14. markus68's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Markus
    Very impressive construction.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1335

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Thanks Markus!

The last batch of plated Continental Mark II parts left me with some disappointment; I had a mixed feeling when I brought the new batch to be plated Continental Mark II . This morning, I went to the plating company as the parts were ready. What a good surprise! The grille, now nickel plated Continental Mark II is excellent as well as the other chromed parts. For once I'm enthusiastic how the parts are looking. Most probably, this time the copper/chrome was a tad thicker than previously; if I'm right that coat is about 0.01mm (0.0004"). Now, I will put aside the accessories I'm doing for the engine and begin to assemble the bumpers and other parts. That's the very nice part of that hobby!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1336