Close

Page 87 of 98 FirstFirst ... 8283848586878889909192 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1468
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 22
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Today, I finished the inner moldings for the back window. The rear shelf is not yet ready, I'm awaiting a screen which is used for the cars with A/C. When I'm looking at the second picture, I'm now convinced that before I'm sanding Continental Mark II the body, I will have to make the windshield and back window as well as the rear outside molding at the belt as I may have to correct the body's shape.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1292

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Today, I got a call from the plater that the second batch is ready. I went to the company and he showed me parts which are not well done because the contact was marginal. Many parts were attached to the main tree Continental Mark II by screws and this may be the problem. Unfortunately, the grille is not good either, the face is still yellowish.

The parts which are not good will be attached to a new tree Continental Mark II and dechromed. I will probably have to polish them again.

When many dissimilar parts are assembled on the same tree Continental Mark II , this can unfortunately happen. I will have to be more careful with the kind of parts I will do as a third batch.

The tree Continental Mark II must be more rigid too: both moldings at the left upper corner are bent; I'm not sure if I can straighten them without cracking the chrome.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1293

3. Haddewade's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mark
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    hmmmmmm that's a bummer to here, i hope everything is to fix and no parts will be damaged. Fingers crossed.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1294

4. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Okay bad connections don't chrome well, is a soldering good enough connection to chrome ?, I have many parts to chrome some day, but I see many just hang the parts on hooks when chroming
    QUOTE QUOTE #1295

5. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Too bad. At least you can salvage them
    QUOTE QUOTE #1296

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    This batch is frustrating. Fortunately, I could correct both bent moldings without bad consequences. My method to attach the parts at the tree Continental Mark II using the studs has a major inconvenient: I cannot unscrew the nuts easily, especially the ones with 0.6 mm thread. This applies especially to the teeth from the grille: if I'm using to much force to loose the nuts, the studs will break and I can redo those parts. I will let them dechrome and attach the teeth in a different manner to the next tree Continental Mark II .
    To Egon: if you have a quantity of small parts, you can bet that 20% will be lost. Therefore, attach them as I do. Parts which just hang are probably heavy enough to offer a good contact. Usually, a soft solder joint is good enough but this time I have parts attached with solder which are not well chromed and others attach with nuts/screws wich are excellent. The man at the plating company told me that they had to limit the current; if too much current is applied, some parts may burn. I assume that this time the mix large parts/small parts was not good. However, if I'm looking at previous batches from the Avanti and Toronado, I had a similar mix. Could be that the operator did just miss this batch.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1297

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Most of the morning was spent to "adjust" the rear window switch. At the end, it was fine: not too much pressure on the switch to have a running motor. Then, I had the silly idea to put the arm rest on the quarter panel: it was not good as the bell crank was touching the wiring. To avoid movements from the wires at the switch, I put some time ago a good daub of Araldite, a two components glue. The only solution I saw was to have the wiring vertically. This implied to remove that glue (it does not get hard like glass but anyway hard to remove) and resolder the wires in a new orientation. And test again the switch...Most probably, I will have to do the same the other side.

The picture is sowing the new wiring and how I'm testing the chromed switch function.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1298

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    There is again some progress at the switches front: I could finish the switches from the RH door. They were tested the same like the previous picture; both switches are OK. As you can see, the wires are color coded; it will be a great help during the final assembly.
    Unfortunately, I cannot do the same for the LH door: the escutcheon is one of the few parts which were not well chromed.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1299

9. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    That looks great!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1300

10. markus68's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Markus
    Yes.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1301

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    A little chrome is giving a completely different look to a part!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1302

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Now that all the good plated Continental Mark II parts are away from the tree Continental Mark II and assembled like the inside mirror or the part on the previous picture, I'm coming back with the rear shelf. I got recently a wire mesh from England with 40 spaces per inch. It's not exactly the identical part found on Mark II with A/C, but I found not better. I'm showing a picture from a real car and my interpretation.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1303

13. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Continental Mark II
    Roger, there are some photo etched pieces available you might be interested in. This first photo shows 1mm square but the holes are actually .8mm. I realize photo etch can be too flat for most things it is used for but for your back shelf the hole alignment seems a good match. I cannot determine the size you need from your photoContinental Mark II-img_8778-jpgContinental Mark II-img_8779-jpg the chart shows sizes available. The center column is diamond pattern, not what you need. I bought this one piece a long time ago. Not sure if they are still sold but you are welcome to use it if the size works for you. Not sure why photos appear upside down.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1304

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks for that idea, Paul! The pitch is .55 mm; the one you have is indeed too large. The best one would be the center column with a pitch of 0.5 mm but, as you wrote, not the shape I'm needed. Sure, that photo etched piece is better suited than the wire mesh I'm using right now. I will do some searches in that direction; maybe I will find something from another supplier.
    Again, thanks for the input!
    Edit: apparently, this company is no more producing photo etched material. A search in Internet had mixed results; there was a .5mm pitch plate but not in stock (Made in Poland...) and shorter than my requirement. Of course, with some skill, it should be possible to put 2 pieces end to end...

Continental Mark II
    Last edited by Roger Zimmermann; 12-13-16 at 08:54 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1305

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Recently, I did some small jobs: the junction piece between the upper inside roof moldings and the lower one, assembling the insulator to all chromed switches levers and some other I don't remember.
    Yesterday, I brought back for dechroming the 4 pieces with were not well chromed to the plating company. The boss said that the front grille may not be better with a new tray: grilles are difficult to chrome. I think an alternative would be to have it nickel plating. Yellowish plating (Chrome is bluer) is better than brass color...
    I did also the mold for the headlining as the material I will use for the headlining will be glued on that polyester structure. I'm sure that it could be possible to sew some cloth and attach it with support wires to the body. As nobody is usually looking at the headliner, I feel that this huge work is out of place.
    On the picture your will see the chromed inside mirror (an assembly of 5 separate parts) and the sun visors which will be covered with leather.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1306