Close

Page 86 of 98 FirstFirst ... 8182838485868788899091 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1458
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: May 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 22
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Today I could finish the second quarter window switch. Like his brother, I tested it with a spare electric motor. The switch is small enough to clear the bell crank for the quarter window. The wires which are shown on the picture are the definitive ones. They have a larger diameter than the ones which will go through the door's pillar; fortunately, the arm rest is large enough to offer the needed space to those wires.

I will now temporarily stop the construction. No panic, I just will do something completely different: prepare some parts for the plating which means filing, sanding Continental Mark II and polishing. This has a good reason: the switches cannot be completed before the buttons are chromed. There are also other parts which will be prepared, like window frames, lower body moldings, inside moldings and maybe the bumpers.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1277

2. markus68's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Markus
    it is so interesting to read your thread.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1278

3. happyfreddy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    freddy
    @markus68

only reading ?
    remember : Ken Follet is good .......... Roger Zimmermann much better ( and of course his excellent work )
    QUOTE QUOTE #1279

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Happyfreddy, thanks for your comments. However, I would put it that way: I'm doing different things than Ken Follet and I have probably more time than him. To know wo is better, Ken Follet and me should have the same part to build with a time frame to follow. Then, both parts would be examined by a panel of people wo would tell this or that part is better than the other one.
    Or did I miss something?

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1280

5. markus68's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Markus
    to read his thread includes of course learning from roger.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1281

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    It's incredible how many parts have to be chromed on this model. This afternoon, I went to the plater with the second batch of parts to be chromed; by looking at the picture, some parts are easy to identify, some others less.

You may not remember at the first batch: there were the wheel and valve covers, some years ago!

The bumpers are the candidate for the third batch; they are massive parts which will be tough to polish.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1282

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Since some days, I'm preparing the bumpers for plating. As I'm assuming that the general shape is OK, I'm not checking that again, but the surface must be as good as I can. I first begin with sanding Continental Mark II paper grain 280, then 400, 600 and 1200. Most of the time, when I'm "playing" with the 1200, fine scratches are jumping at the eyes; usually, that spot must again be sanded with the 400 or even the 220. When all is OK with the 1200, I'm using a sanding Continental Mark II paper which must be 0 and then with a polish paste and a wheel on the lathe.

The four parts for the front and rear bumpers are ready. For the moment, I have enough with that process, I'm back with the construction...

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1283

8. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Exciting times...disassembly for paint and chrome. It will be fun to see final construction!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1284

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You are right, Doug. I hope I can remember where all those parts and bit are going, installed in the right sequence...I'm not yet so far as some parts still must be done, but the end of the tunnel is less distant!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1285

10. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    And what a trip through the tunnel it has been so far! You are a very determined and patient man besides doing some brilliant scratch building!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1286

11. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Roger, those parts look great! I've never thought about plating parts. Interesting to see the process. Do you do the plating at home or send it out?
    QUOTE QUOTE #1287

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Paul, if you read the text from post # 1282 it says: "I went to the plater" which of course, implies that I'm not doing it at home. Too much chemicals, to much science to have a good plating. There is a risk of course as the parts are no more under my control and the delay is rather long. the batch from post #1282 is not yet back.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1288

13. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Yes, I must have missed that line. All those parts drew my eye. Are you able to solder the plated Continental Mark II parts or will you attach with epoxy Continental Mark II ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #1289

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    No problem, Paul! I'm missing myself sometimes explanations...The parts are assembled to the tree Continental Mark II with soft solder or screws. Epoxy Continental Mark II is a no go as it's not electricity conductive.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1290

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Recently I had other duties to perform. Nevertheless, I could do both sail panels which go inside the roof. The next part will be the inside molding around the rear window. The number of part still to be fabricated is decreasing!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1291