Close

Continental Mark II
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 295.00 USD (57%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Continental Mark II Continental Mark II Continental Mark II Continental Mark II Continental Mark II
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 146 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is online now
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (17 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 25
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello Roger,

pretty good job on your Continental! I am watching more things to come closely. BTW I`m speaking French as well (not native, but trying to hold myself).

Gruezi

Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. AirB's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Rudy
    Hi Roger,

Did you make some progress on the Continental ?
    I am living in Flanders, and so sorry but my French is
    not good enough to communicate with someone who speak native
    French.
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Very nice work! I must also say that it is very refreshing to see something being built that you just don't see. I only have one question at this point, is the car going to be a hard top or a convertible? I am looking forward to seeing this project progress!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Roger!

The chassis is masterful! It is so fun to see a large scale project that is unusual and all brass.

Thanks for joining the forum...you'll find the friendliest modelers here!

Doug
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Sorry for not responding to all who did a comment about the model. I was in vacation, with an old lap top; I could see all pages of that forum, but, to my dismay, I was unable to answer.
    To spninellid82: the car will be a coupe. There are some convertibles; they were not factory done, but by outside companies. I know somebody in the USA who has a convertible; the task to take dimensions and modifications to the original car is not too interesting.
    Coming back from vacation = a lot of paperwork to do! Therefore, nothing will happens the next few days.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    After more than a month, I could do some work on the floor: I added a partial tunnel to the assembly. The actual front end of the tunnel is not yet trimmed as it should.

To avoid distorsion of the assembly, I soldered the tunnel to the existing construction; to open the tunnel I then cut the excess material from the floor. To avoid too much weight, I used .3mm flat brass (.012")

In the front, THE hammer, the best tool of model maker!

Continental Mark II
    Last edited by Roger Zimmermann; 07-01-12 at 11:02 AM. Reason: searching again a long time how to insert pictures.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. AirB's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Rudy
    Looks amazing, hats off for your skills with brass Robert
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    It is a masterpiece Roger!
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Looking great, Roger. I have a hammer like that but I use it on the stuff I don't like. One whack and the bad part no longer bugs me.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Looking great, Roger. I have a hammer like that but I use it on the stuff I don't like. One whack and the bad part no longer bugs me.
    You see, a hammer is a versatile tool. It can be creative or destructive! Sometimes, the way I'm anticipating how to do this or that does not work as intended and in that circumstance, the small hammer is showing his desctructive head...
    Thank you to all for your comments, I appreciate it.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    If I'm understanding well, some members are afraid or unfamiliar with brass. This is so an easy material, very forgiving and, in case of an accident, it can be repaired. Maybe these pictures and explanations will help some.
    At the front of the rear seat, there is a channel which is used also to screw the body to the frame. This channel is of course not just a "U" profile but it raised on the central tunnel and, at each end, there is a small step. When the seat will be installed as well as the carpet or trim, nobody will notice that there is a step...I do it just for the fun. To do the part in one piece is not possible or it would produce a lot of waste. Therefore, I'm doing it in 3 pieces.

How to do the step? several methods are possible, I choosed to do like in a press. First, I had to prepare a tool with the step. A small pice of scrap was used for the other side of the step.

All 3 parts are temporary fixed with contact cement, the whole inserted into my huge vice; one side of the channel is ready to be bent with the hammer.

On that picture, one channel is ready, the other one must be trimmed. Both parts will be silver soldered on the floor.

After both channels were soldered, I did the part over the tunnel, creating the illusion that it was one piece.

A great help to do some silver soldering is that paste. It's very easy to use; one big advantage is that pieces which should not shift stay in place (usually, there are exceptions...). When silver soldering the usual way, there is always the danger to shift something with the rod. The inconvenient: this small container is very expensive, but I don't regret the purchase.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    I'm a learnin Roger, slow but sure and yes, I do enjoy brass as a building material. I actually can already see that I may one day forgo the use if styrene Continental Mark II all together. Your model is looking awesomeand thank you very much for the educational photos. I might look into getting a jar of that paste.
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by spinellid82 View Post
    I'm a learnin Roger, slow but sure and yes, I do enjoy brass as a building material. I actually can already see that I may one day forgo the use if styrene all together. Your model is looking awesomeand thank you very much for the educational photos. I might look into getting a jar of that paste.
    Thank you for your comments David! I don't know if "Castolin" is exporting to the US, have a look at: Castolin Eutectic Group There are certainly other manufacturers who do that product. About the costs: 0.25 kg ( about 1/2 pound) costs ca. $ 150.00. I did not know that such product ever existed until I read the book from Gerald Wingrove.

If my explanations are difficult to understand, please let me know. I did that in a hurry just before dinner!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I agree that brass is a great material to use for modeling. I used to be a dyed in the wool styrene Continental Mark II bender claiming how easy the material was to use. It's a good material but it's not the be all end all material. Brass has definitely expanded my armamentarium. Your best bet is to have a command of many building materials as some work better in certain situations than others.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    I agree that brass is a great material to use for modeling. It's a good material but it's not the be all end all material. Your best bet is to have a command of many building materials as some work better in certain situations than others.
    You are right Jeffrey. It depends all the time what kind of object you are building and the equipment you have. Brass is easy to work with, but not very strong. Sometimes a little bit of steel is needed; others like aluminum, I don't.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #31