Close

Page 139 of 140 FirstFirst ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 2088
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (17 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 24
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger,

Yes, back in the 70's through to the 90's, our shop was really something special. We sold the earlier SL version of the Unimats, and then on to the Unimat 3s, sold a few of the 5s, and all the accessories. We continued to sell accessories for Unimat, till the end, but we had made a switch to the Sherline brand, a local manufacturer, here in California, and were very successful with those as well. -Until, our customer base started to move out of California. Our defense industry almost completely moved out of California. We lost most of our "white-collar" customers. Engineers, and such.

For many years we sold over a hundred airbrushes, and Dremel Continental Mark II tools every year. -But bit by bit, larger chain stores started to encroach on our sales, selling these things at below my cost. -It was always a challenge. Dollar / Yen fluctuations, earthquakes, city-wide riots, industry exodus, discount chains moving in, big chains discounting.

I would have been very proud to have had you as a customer! Made a special place for your models!

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #2072

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I see the whole story. In a different scale, I began to search Cadillac parts for 30 years or so. The sole way for information was Hemming Motor News, the orders went by letters (Can you imagine?) and payment with a bank draft. It was a pure side business as I was a GM employee. Some years I had 1 or 2 inquiries per week and an annually turnover of about $ 40'000 to 60'000 and a small profit. Internet changed progressively all that: now, I'm getting about 6 inquiries per year! And as everybody see what the parts do cost, my margin is much smaller. But I don't complain, it was a lot of work and sometimes a fight to get paid.

After two days of milling, the bands for the tire pattern are ready; there are more than 1000 teeth milled one by one! I know, I'm mad. As you can see the vice of the machine is way too short. After about 40 mm (1.5") I have to release the band and reposition it. This method does not allow to have a very precise pitch, but who cares?

The bands are now ready to be soft solder to the blank.

To mill the bands was annoying, very repetitive. To install them on the stock is not so repetitive, but annoying too! The first one is soft soldered around the perimeter of the tire; to get the tire hot Continental Mark II enough to sold it takes about 8 minutes and no question to position the first band with the hands, its too hot Continental Mark II ...

Once the first is soldered, it's time for the second one. The whole has to cool down to adjust the next band at the proper length. At first I wanted to fix them on the tire with small pins; I abandoned the idea because while boring the band shifted. At the end, I positioned it with masking Continental Mark II band and soldered at 10 places. One band needs about half hour to be soldered. Then, the whole has again to be cooled to clean the excess solder. Then the next one is installed…

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2073

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger,

Was there any special technique to form your machined strips into hoops? And did you place something between the treads to provide a consistent spacing?

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #2074

4. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    YOU ARE MAD. In all sincerity: great technique
    Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #2075

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I'm not sure, but I probably rolled them on a cylinder slightly smaller that the master tire.
    The consistant spacing was done with the eyes (I had excellent ones at that time!) and, as I wrote, I temporarily attached the bad with masking Continental Mark II tape.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2076

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I know Markus! I fell on the head when I was 15 years old!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2077

7. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    I fell on my head when I was 5.
    Is this something modellers need to have done?
    QUOTE QUOTE #2078

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Maybe, but sometimes the result is not so good! therefore, I would not consider that as a general rule!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2079

9. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #2080

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Okay, this is weird.

I fell on my head breaking a marble floor tile.

Not sure of my age, probably four?
    QUOTE QUOTE #2081

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Welcome to the club Jo and Don!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2082

12. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    I guess i have a problem: i`m mad too but i never fell on my head.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2083

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    But, who knows, something stupid happens to you long ago and you don't remember!
    I have to say I was lucky: it was a bicycle accident early 1960. Due to an internal bleeding Continental Mark II in the head, I had some surgery which were not very common at that time.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2084

14. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Very bad.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2085

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Wow! That was bad!

Speaking for all us "Lunk-Heads" We're very glad your here!"
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-16-19 at 03:59 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2086