Close

Page 136 of 136 FirstFirst ... 131 132 133 134 135 136
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2040
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (17 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 24
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Yes, take a picture rigth on, and scale the picture to 1:12 and see if your guide works correct.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2027

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    As the jig is ready, why wait longer to glue the letters? To avoid scratches on the paint, I glued a piece of paper at the “B” side of the jig. Then, I attached it temporarily on the trunk and I tried if the first letter, the middle “N” would fit. As the jig was not following the curve from the trunk lid, the letter went a bit under the jig. I tried to restore its position with a screwdriver and I heard “tic” and no N anymore. Nothing around the car…No good at all. As I had no clue about the possible path, I began to search on the floor in the supposed way; I found nothing. Nothing? Not true: I found a partly finished part from a hinge which flew years ago! After maybe two hours without positive result, I decided to remove the jig and correct its shape. And what did I saw? The “N”! It did not fly away, but went under the jig! What a relief!
    Indeed, I could glue 3 letters each time; therefore I had to prepare less 2 K glue. I will have to clean a bit the lid (I put too much glue at the first letter); I will wait 1 or 2 days to do that.
    Indeed, I’m satisfied; the distance between letters may not be the same left and right, but it’s hard no notice it. Maybe Don will have some objection, who knows!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2028

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Continental Mark II
    Hello Roger!

I see nothing to object to, and my wager for the bottle of wine stands!

Your model set next to a real Continental MkII will draw more attention!

Continental Mark II-img_6730-5-jpg
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #2029

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Well, Don, santé!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2030

5. DominiqueBeerts's Avatar Avid Belgian
    Name
    Dominique
    Hello Roger,
    I think the story about the "flying N" is a recognizable one to all of us . The time I spent flat on my belly with a flash Continental Mark II light , scanning the floor for a lost part is countless ...

The model looks absolutely great, and I think we all need to thank you for the way you published your methods and experiences. I learned a lot from this thread.
    Any news on the book you were talking about some time ago? You think it is doable to publish the article? I will buy one immediately!!
    Best regards,
    Dominique.

Feel free to browse through my photo albums
    QUOTE QUOTE #2031

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Hi Dominique
    For years, I had a carpet, a worn Berbère. It was a nightmare when something small in brass went on the floor. Fortunately, screws are magnetic and could be found with a magnet. Since about 2 years, I have a laminate floor. Is that better? Yes and no: with a torch lamp at the level of the floor, parts can be seen. But they go much farther than with the carpet!
    The book is still unborn. The guy who intend to do that was caught by surprise that the model is virtually finished. Honestly, I could not tell him 6 months ago when I expected to be ready. You also probably know that feeling that it will still take ages till completion and suddenly you just have 5 parts to add!
    Recently, we had phones call about the book. He has about 1000 pictures at disposal and he must choose a quantity which allow to have a consistent story but avoiding that the book is 8 cm thick! That man has a company to prune trees (élagage) and his main machine was stolen a week ago! He has right now other problems than to write a book!
    I don't expect that he will be ready till Summertime; I just hope that the people who were interested will still be at that time. Or, to tell it crudely: bad timing.

The primary goal to publish this story in various forums was to entertain people; it seems that I succeeded: there are more than 200 K views here and more than 380 K at he AACA forum. If it can give, on top of that, some ideas "how to do", that's fine: with one stone, 2 flies!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2032

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    I really took my time to put the letters on the hood! Like at the rear, I did a jig to help for the position of the letters. I glued some paper at the back of the guide but I remove it after the 3 first letters were glued. This time all went well without disappearing letter! I did also a method’s change: I put the glue at the back of each letter; at the rear, the glue was deposited on the paint with a toothpick; I could better control the glue quantity when it was at the back of each letter.

Technically, the model was finished on January 19, 2019, not quite 9 years after the beginning which was on February 3, 2010. I’m glad I survived all that time and I’m glad YOU survived too!
    There will be better looking pictures when I can do them outside with a good light. Thank you to all who followed and commented this adventure. It was a pleasure to read those messages; they helped also to continue that mad project!

Some years ago, Daniel began to put the first post relating the beginning of that model. I will continue his job to have the story really complete; unfortunately, it will not be at the beginning like he did, but consecutive to this post.

I forgot something important to add: the final weight: front 1'686g, rear 1'798g for a total of 3'484g or 7.68 pounds. A real heavy weight! It's interesting to note that, despite the engine weight, the front axle is lighter than the rear one.

Continental Mark II
    Last edited by Roger Zimmermann; 01-20-19 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Weight added
    QUOTE QUOTE #2033

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 01-20-19 at 01:17 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2034

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Don, there are 41 "things" too many!
    Thanks for the appreciation!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2035

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Continental Mark II
    I wanted to post 100! But the program only allows 60 +/-

I am running around my apartment right now, collecting all the books and downloaded photos, that I have collected, while following your work.

The opportunity to watch, step by step, that you have created here, is unique. When I realized that you were truly going to see this through I started to collect all the research, and add to it photographs of the actual parts or assemblies, this I compiled into albums, with downloaded copies of your in progress photos.

I had all these books and magazine articles already. Since I had been thinking to make my own model.

You have been an inspiration for nine years! Thank you!

Continental Mark II-img_6736-2-jpg
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 01-20-19 at 04:08 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2036

11. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    Continental Mark II
    I function best during evenings and nights, that's when I usually work. However, the past weeks while reading your topic from the very beginning (even before that, when the engine and frame builds were discussed) I noticed I went to bed earlier than normal. The reason for that is simple: before sleeping I always read. Sometimes a book, sometimes a magazine, the last couple of weeks this epic build report. And as far as forums go, this topic of yours is a pageturner. Problems are discussed and solved. The beautiful curves of the original Continental car are shown by you, then replicated. You have demonstrated a healthy self-criticism that led, however, to an extremely and unattainably high standard in modelling.

Reading for weeks I have gone through texts written during years, I am aware of that. A few days ago the topic was in Christmas atmosphere and some days before that, again. Only, that was one year earlier. But this 'speed' makes for an ideal read. I'm fast-forwarding through the build process so I am that lucky guy who doesn't have to wait for days to see the next update / instalment. On the other hand I can imagine how anxious the many followers of your thread must have felt each time a new update was almost due. It's fair to say that those updates have been coming very regularly, without long interruptions (sometimes a holiday, but that's it).

Yesterday evening I saw this video:

So now you know how far I've processed the thread. The video shows your self-criticism very well. If I was ever able to create moving parts like that, instead of saying 'hmm this doesn't move smoothly', I would probably instead never touch the model again, in fear of ruining it.

My reading stamina is of course helped by the fact that I'm preparing the build for my own scratch project, the Delage Grand Prix car. Fortunately, that car has no lights. Fortunately it has no windows. Well, honestly, the Delage is a much simpler car (and the scale wil be less of a challenge too, 1/8) than yours so reading through your topic and trying to learn as much as I can (knowing all of this is -apparently- possible at a smaller scale) seriously adds to the lure of this topic.

Once I will have finished reading and studying it, I will post a new reaction. I have of course seen the photos of the finalised car and it is extremely pretty and, apparently (I know by now that you won't agree) flawless. Oh and one last thing, I really think your English has strongly improved over the years. I'm now at the 2016 posts and it's really noticeable that you have become better at expressing yourself in English. I feel that is a bonus to yourself, while much entertaining the rest of us with this dream of a topic.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2037

12. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Congratulations Roger. Great Performance. Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #2038

13. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    Another piece of art Roger!
    You are our master...

Dan.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2039

14. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Even though I'm used to admire your stunning work, I'm speachless looking at the final result
    Hat's off Roger
    QUOTE QUOTE #2040

15. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Sheer genius! I am completely gobsmacked by the finished model, it looks just like you have shrunk the real thing
    QUOTE QUOTE #2041