Close

Page 135 of 137 FirstFirst ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2041
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (17 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 24
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Bastelfreak's Avatar Member
    Name
    Jörg
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Wow!! Geil!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #2012

2. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Noel
    Roger, I have been looking frequently as your build as it has progressed. You have created a fantastic model!
    Why not contact Gerald Wingrove. He has retired now but still keeps a Wingrove Workshop Website active.
    He has a gallery on it to show other modeller's work. I am sure that he would be VERY interested in featuring your model on it.
    Happy New Year to you.........Once you are over the exhaustion of this project....What next?
    Kind regards Noel
    QUOTE QUOTE #2013

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Hi Noel
    Thanks for your kind words. I would be honored to have this model in the Wingrove's workshop website, but I will not contact him for different reasons.
    The next project is to finish the electric part of Toronado and replace the seat track which was a bad design from me. After that? No more complicated things; I'm getting tired to be for years on the same project.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2014

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger!

Have you ever thought to do a motorcycle? Could be a challenge?

Specifically, an EGLI / VINCENT. A Brittish-Swiss hybrid.

-or-

I have collected articles about modelers and their models that are finished models of partially finished structures. Sometimes there is beauty in an incomplete assembly that gets lost when that assembly is taken to completion. (Am I making sense?)

Your work is so amazing, however I am afraid that because it is seen as a finished whole, only those of us who have witnessed it's birth and growth, are able to see how beautifully you detailed the engine block, transmission bell, the suspension, and drive-train. . . .

I have not seen your solution to the Toronado's engine and front wheel drive, but that as a stand alone model, sitting next to your complete model would be very interesting. Same of course for your Avanti, and the Continental Mk II. (you probably have a lot of that special gold paint left?)

Just a few thoughts.

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #2015

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Me, a motorcycle? Never!
    In French, I could develop for pages why I like to do this but not that. In fact, for most people, bla, bla, bla.
    The truth is: I'm tired. That model took all my energy; I need to do a break. In few months, spring time will be there, I need to do some maintenance to my old cars.
    If I need to build something (who knows), it will not be the result of a suggestion, but just because I like this or that. And don't expect that I'm making an element from a finished model as a stand-alone model, I don't want to do the same thing a second time, even if the proposition is interesting.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2016

6. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    More than three years have passed between finishing my last project (Ferrari F40) and starting my current project so i can understand you.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2017

7. Denis.M's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Denis
    Many peoples began a model project but only few people finish a ten years project, I understand you
    QUOTE QUOTE #2018

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger,

Very understandable. You have maintained a level of focus that I have never seen before. I can understand your exhaustion, but of course, until one has worked as hard and as long, with the same dedication, no one can really know.

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #2019

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks for your understanding! As Denis wrote, I saw here the beginning of many projects, but few were conducted until the achievement. Some have many unfinished projects; this is not the way I'm "functioning"! If I decide to begin something, I go to the end. I did that with the 3 cars I restored; at one moment the reason is saying "it's enough for the moment!"

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2020

10. happyfreddy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    freddy
    I think even when any community is waiting for another very interesting project like the "Mark II" by Roger,
    the same community must also have any respect about the decision "it´s enough for the moment"

As Roger told " If I decide to begin something, I go to the end " he surely knows how much work must be done
    at any project. And there are of course several 1:1 Continental Mark II projects he started and they too want to be finished :
    " I need to do some maintenance to my old cars " Working at a scale model causes the effect to be at a certain point "tired"
    because every thing must be buildt up and constructed in a precise scratch way. Problems at old cars only appear when any original
    part can´t be found or buyed. So I only can wish Roger for these old car maintenance much success.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2021

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Freddy!
    One maintenance I will need to do when the weather is warmer: trying to get the rear air suspension from my '57 Brougham leak free! For years it was tight; since a few years, the rear end of the car is going down in a few days, especially when the temperature is low. Right now, it's 1°C in the garage; not fun to work when it's almost freezing.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2022

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    To glue the letters on the trunk lid without a guide would certainly be very difficult; therefore, I had to do something. The picture is the result of my thinking; I “just” have to glue the letters now! Before I got to construct that guide, I had to brood about the spacing of the letters. On the left side, there is an “I” which is narrower than the other letters. The “N” in the middle of the word must be in the middle of the car, therefore, the distance between each letter on the left side will be larger than on the right side. Unfortunately, I don’t have any more a Mark II to check, but I see no other alternative. Maybe it will not be noticeable; we’ll see.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2023

13. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Hi Roger,
    Belated happy new year. Your solution is cleaver. I think you are fine but if you need to verify may I suggest you try EBay.com for someone selling a car. They usually post numerous photos and you could always request a new photo.
    Paul
    QUOTE QUOTE #2024

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Hi Paul
    Thanks for your comments; Happy new year too!
    In fact, I have enough pictures, front and rear. You know how it's difficult to measure something on a picture. In the ones I have from the front, it seems that there is a slight difference between the letters from the passenger side and the one from the driver side. The letters CONTIN (taking only half the width of the last "N") all together have a length of 8mm (0.315") when the letters NENTAL (again 1/2 N) have a length of 9 mm (0.355"). Therefore, there is no miracle, the distance between leters must be different as they start and end in a symmetrical arrangement at the hood. I means the distance hood's edge to the first letter is the same as the distance last letter to the hood's edge.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #2025

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Continental Mark II
    Hello Roger!

One of my "specialties" at my work is decaling and badging. Not so much that only I can do it, but more of a - no one else wants to do anything at the end of a project that might harm the paint, and also, that the work is often done under the gaze of the client. (Some people really do not like an audience)

There is a word for the spacing of letters. - Kerning. -

It may seem strange that we do not give the same spacing uniformly throughout the alphabet, but we don't! Humans are good at pattern recognition, and we also apply emotional weight to things. - if I were making a display of Continental Mk II articles, a owners manual, a parts catalog, and such might be grouped together, same with spare parts, diagrams, and photographs. But your model, it would be set aside and above the rest. (It is an emotional response to seeing, and presenting something that is special, and deserving status.)

Your model of course, but many others too! I would be willing to wager a bottle of red wine, that you could place your model, at a car show, near a Mark II or two, and your model would receive more attention!

I think your solution is excellent! Maybe softening the corners and radius the B side edges, to prevent scratches from the sharp brass.

----------------

Paul's suggestion is a good one, (obviously you already have figured out the spacing.) But for all the rest of us, it is a good source for informative photographs!

Continental Mark II-14929920-1956-lincoln-continental-mark-ii-std-2-jpg

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #2026