Close

Page 130 of 131 FirstFirst ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 1952
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 24
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Don and Egon!
    No problem about the battery: I have the dry cell system!
    About the audio jack: I was too thinking at something similar, but I found nothing suitable with the diameter. Our region has no electronic shop anymore so the contact + is in the middle and the - is at the outside of the filler tube.
    For the Mark II it's now too late (I don't want to rework the fuel fille because it requires the removal of the tail lamp and maybe bumper) but I may have open eyes for the Toronado which will get a similar system.
    About pictures: I'm better at modeling than with pictures. I explained already my dilemma with the pocket camera and the Canon one. This reflex camera hat about 100 different possibilities, I'm lost. When I had a reflex camera with negatives, I could do decent pictures which were sharp; I'm unable to do that with the Canon reflex camera even if the main elements did not change: speed, aperture and focus.
    I intend to let photography the completed model from a professional.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1937

2. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    I love your Continental Mark II. How many hours of work until today?
    QUOTE QUOTE #1938

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Markus!
    I'm unable to say how many hours; too many for sure. I just can tell that I began in the month February 2010!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1939

4. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    I began in 2014 and i spent 1992 hours of work until now.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1940

5. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    PS: online search etc. not included.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1941

6. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    That is magnificent! Thanks for letting us watch!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1942

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You are welcome Richard!
    Markus: I have a very rough estimation about the hours spent: Next February, it will be the 9th year, but the model should be ready by then. 9 years @ 250 days/year = 2250 "labor" days. With a very conservative 3 hours/day, it gives 6750 hours. It's probably more than that, but I don't care.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1943

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger,

I think that your work, and your sharing it with others is going to have a very positive effect on modeling!

Many people think of creating a model to the level that you have achieved, many people research subjects, buy lots of tools, get sidetracked by so many distractions, and most of the time these people fail to make anything.

Reading your thread, and watching your almost step by step progress, should help everyone so inclined to mentally prepare themselves for a long journey.

We don't know how Henri Baigent, or Manuel Olive Sans worked, nor any of the others, but you have shared so much with us, and I think that it will be to the benefit of modeling. -I think a few people will say to themselves, "Well I know it will take a long time, I know that! -and I'm committed to this, and I'm going to see it through!"

Thank you Roger.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1944

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Maybe you are right, Don. However, I frankly doubt that many people will spend so much time for just 1 model. Markus may be one of those and some of the French guys (Propeller, Thierry).
    During all the years I'm on this forum, I was amazed how many people disappeared and other did not finish their project, but began another one. Sure, sometimes the live or health is pushing one to take an other orientation.
    The people you cited did modeling for a living; they had different methods and never ever got in the same insane details as I did. I'm fortunate to have no financial issue and could spend years on just one little thing (anyway, it's about 3.5 kg!).
    Over the years, I has questions about modeling from totally unknown people; I suppose that my answers discouraged them as I heard nothing anymore!

Something different: Some months ago, I told you about a man wanted to make a book about the Mark II model. For several months I had no news from him, but recently I had the explanation: while he manipulated a gas heather, he was burnt at the legs and an arm; his warehouse almost went in flames too. He is now recovering and the book project is going on.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1945

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger,

I am very sorry to hear about your friend's accident! Burns are so terrible! -I wish him a full and swift recovery!

As for the influence that your work has had, and will continue to have, I am more optimistic. When I was a manager of Paul Freiler's Historical Models, I was several times, over the years, asked why wooden model ships are so poorly stocked in most hobby shops? The answer is that a very active builder of wooden model ships, will buy supplies, tools, paint, glue, sandpaper, but not another kit for several months or years! -So, for the shop owner, interested in his stock's turn-over, wooden model ships, become an investment with a low return. -Having said that, my shop stocked wooden model ships, and all the accessories, we informed our customers of what was involved in taking on a project like a large wooden ship model, and the result was a dedicated few, modelers who were not put off of the experience, and produced a few models each.

The percentage of people, with your level of tenacity is very low! It always has been. Patience and perseverance are virtues few cultures nurture. Visiting and shopping in my store, I was in contact with thousands of people, and over a span of 18 years, I can say that I had only met a few dozen, who were VERY GOOD, kit builders, and though a few, maybe a dozen, scratch builders, I can, in my opinion, say that I only knew six that were good, and only two that were outstanding.

And, as you have demonstrated, time, simple tools, and sticking to it!, are all that is really needed. If you were to start anew, not having done your Avanti, nor Toronado, if you were shown this amazing model of a Continental Mark II, would you be inspired or put off?

Some people will not commit to something so involved, but some people look for that kind of challenge, and, with full knowledge of the journey's length will take that first step.

I think your work inspires!

-Don
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 12-03-18 at 06:11 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1946

11. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Roger, I am with Don, your blog will positively influence some viewers somewhere in this world. Kudos to you! For me it has been very educational and this is not my first rodeo, I consider myself an advanced scratch build Continental Mark II modeler, but brass was a whole new experience and I learned. True not everyone would spend the the years you have on one subject (my own focus seems to be three years) but that is not an issue, you just need to work faster.

Regarding your book, take the time to caption the photos and explain what someone is viewing. I think it would be a better educational book than just a "coffee table" book with pretty photos. Have your guy format and layout a section; font, text sizes, caption treatment, etc and approve before he lays out the entire book. Just a few years experience speaking.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1947

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Thanks Paul for your comments. I'm glad if the side effect of entertaining the readers can also motivate some people to begin something and to finish it!
    It seems that Randy will adapt my comments to each picture he will retain, otherwise, it makes no sense to just have a picture collection. It's his baby, I will just have to check it when ready, before publication. If I'm understanding his words correctly, this task will not be a walk in the park!

With most of the parts installed, what is still to do? Obviously, the windshield and back window must now be installed. Even with the best I could do, the windows are not a perfect fit; they must be glued to the body to have a decent fitting. The most appropriate method is with clear silicone. In case it oozes on the window, it can be removed when cured. I just have to be careful as too much silicone inside will be extremely difficult to remove.

With such kind of cars, there are chromed parts associated with the windows. Before the installation, I checked the fit of the back widow molding and the one at the belt. The dip rail molding was too low; it prevented to belt molding to follow the roof’s shape. A small file shortened the drip molding on both side to allow the belt molding to go under.

On the picture, the upper back window molding is temporary installed to help the fitting of the “glass”. It will be glued later. The tape will be there for 24 hours, the time for the silicone to cure Continental Mark II .

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1948

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger!

You probably have a method that you prefer for applying the clear silicone? -I have for years been purchasing syringes, the type for dispensing grease, oil, glues and food for baby birds. Wood-working shops often sell them, as do some of the better "industrial" hardware shops. I usually buy several sizes for work, but you would probably want just a 3cc, plastic syringe with a tapered tip. The tips can be trimmed to an angle or diameter of your choosing.
    (Think of it like a miniature caulking gun)

Just an idea.

(If you notice your viewing numbers climbing? -I've turned another few people on to your work and suggested to them, to view your gallery as a slide-show)

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1949

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Hello Don
    Sorry, I don't check the view numbers. They are anyway impressive, on this forum, which is logical, and at the AACA one; here it's more than a surprise because the AACA forum don't deal with scale models. Anyway, thanks for the publicity!
    I'm using a small screwdriver to apply the silicone. It's a rather crude method! It would be inappropriate to do an apparent seal but for my purpose it's OK.

One part less lying around: the reveal or belt molding around the rear quarter. I don’t remember if its contour was following exactly the shape of the body; of course, after the paint process it was not. With a slight “massage”, the result was acceptable and I glued definitively with clear silicone. There are most probably stronger products for the task; the advantage here is the ease of cleaning of the excess material once it’s cured. Cyanoacrylate Continental Mark II glue is fine but it’s etching the paint. If there is excess glue, the damages are irreversible.
    At the same time, I’m preparing the windshield for the installation. One element after another!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1950

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Good morning Roger,

Remember, I have been with you since the wiper motor! I am proud of your work, and show it often to others!

Yes, silicone is definitely the way to go, never use cyanoacrylates in a closed or semi-closed environment. Those glues release gases which will permanently fog clear parts! -in fact that is a technique used by forensic types (police), to expose finger prints!

Over the years, I usually say "Wow!" when I see a new post from you, but now I'm told that I just sit there, nodding, and saying "Just beautiful" - I fear that in fifty or so years, when I'm an old man, heard saying these things, my nurses will assume, that I am talking about a woman!

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1951