Close

Page 128 of 129 FirstFirst ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 1925
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is online now
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 24
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by markus68 View Post
    Maybe you are. :-)
    Fortunately, not at all Markus!

Thanks Roger from Sweden!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1907

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Recently, I completed the steering column after I added the gear selector’s decal Continental Mark II . By looking at the picture, the horn ring does not please me: the line between the chrome and blue paint is too irregular; I did it just with a brush without masking Continental Mark II tape. Definitively not to my usual standard!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1908

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Why the model is now in this strange position? Something to repair under the car? No, it’s just to keep the door open while I’m finishing the RH carpeting: as the check link is not yet installed, the door is closing itself which is very annoying to: keep the door open, hold the torch to illuminate the inside (a light colored carpet would solve this), push the finishing carpet into position and hold the glasses which are falling down when I’m trying to see something from the LH door aperture! At least, the last bit of the carpet on the right side is finished; the closing panel between the carpet and glove box is also installed. This side is ready, which is not yet the case on the other side.
    The weight of the model right now: rear axle 1611g (56.8 oz); front axle 1044g (36.9 oz), total 2655g or 93.7 oz. When to front clip will be assembled, the front axle will much more heavier, the model near 3kg or more than 100 ounces.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1909

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger!

Your continued work inspires, and for me and a few others, I'm sure, re-inspires!

I was laid off in July, from a job I'd had for fourteen years, and picking up short jobs, and very actively looking for a new position somewhere, has occupied all my time. Resumes, portfolios, and so many emails to go through each day! (60-100+)

I am back at the place I had been working at, but it's a week by week arrangement. -I've heard that we are getting some work for bids that were made long ago, and recently I assembled an interior mock-up that was very well received by the customer, so there is hope.

This week-end I have another portfolio to assemble for a possibly, very good opening at a toy manufacturer, fingers crossed! -And I also intend to get out into my "shop" and work on SOMETHING! (for myself). It is needed! I actually feel that I need to work on a project that I control.

Back to you!

Thank you Roger for sharing your time and work with us all! Obviously most members of this forum are not actively building, but they have been, and are very capable of appreciating what you bring before us. You have done so much with a pretty simple machine, Unimat, and a simple torch.

Yes, you are talented, and intelligent, but those are worthless without the will to carry on! You push on, and on.

Thank you for all that you continue to share, it does inspire us!

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1910

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    To be laid off after so many years in a company must not be funny at all. I'm sorry for your actual situation. I'm indeed glad that I was never faced with a similar event but it was sometimes close, for example when GM ceased the car assembly in Switzerland. I hope for you that either you can stay at your present job (you know what you have) or get that new position at the toy manufacturer. I'm crossing the fingers!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1911

6. happyfreddy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    freddy
    Strange position , Roger ?? Never !! It only shows that Your brakes are working well.
    When ready only 3 kg total weight ? You forgot to add the gallons of fuel in Your tank.

Roger , that what You are doing is perfection at itself.
    Thanks for sharing all this with us
    QUOTE QUOTE #1912

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Freddy!
    Mostly after each step, I’m checking if the electrical functions are still up to my expectation. Recently, I saw that the LH quarter window had difficulties to go up and down, like a poor contact. Before I’m installing the LH door, I wanted to be sure if the missing electric wires from the LH door would change the situation: it was not. However, I discovered that both vent windows were moving when I wanted to operate the RH one from the driver’s door. No problem with the LH one, not with the RH vent window when operated from the RH door. Another gremlin to chase!
    I removed the LH door armrest to check the wiring. Effectively, one wire was soldered at the wrong place! I did many checks before, but never when all was connected together. Once the wire was soldered at the right place, the operating of the vent windows was correct.
    By applying current directly to the LH quarter window’s motor, the window went up and down without problem, but not with the switch. There was one solution: to remove the LH arm rest to check the switch. For that, I had to remove the seat back which after some weeks in place was sticking. I managed to damage the RH arm rest’s leather, I was very happy!
    The contacts (not easy to remove when the wiring is attached) from the LH arm rest were OK, but I still had a problem with the window. In between, I removed the damaged RH arm rest to redo the leather. I checked the switch; I had the impression that one of the blades was still making contact. Indeed, now the LH quarter window went up and down without problem!
    Finally, both arm rests are back again and the windows are OK. Without the damaged leather, I would not have found the problem. Ah! the joy of electricity!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1913

8. happyfreddy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    freddy
    Roger,
    I know these and other problems also in my work.
    Those "no-correct-function-after-buildt-in" You´ll find discribed in
    MURPHY´s LAWs

example :
    - If any screw falls down , You never find it. You find it of course than when You take another one
    - if something is loose , You find it than when You have buyed a new one
    - if any screw falls in Your constructed mechanics You never get it out from there except You disassemble all

Remember : MURPHY ´s LAW´s are always at TOP just before any physical law´s
    QUOTE QUOTE #1914

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The recent one (before the electrical gremlins): I had 6 screws for the strikers at the "B" pillar. Those screws 0.8mm from the watch industry are just long enough for that usage. When I installed the RH striker, all went well. recently, I had to install the LH striker Of course, the first screw fall down and disappeared. Nothing on the working place, nothing on the floor, nothing fall down when I'm shaking the model. By curiosity, I checked in the M 0.8 box and I found one identical! I'm sure that the screw went directly into that box. Mr Murphy can do strange things.
    Another stupidity: I installed the windlace on the "B" pillar. No problem with the RH door but I could no more close the left door! I had to remove the striker, taking care of the 3 screws, elongate one hole to have more adjusting travel for the striker, reinstall, adjust the striker about .2 or 0.3 mm towards outside and the door closed. Before the paint, I had no problem and enough travel for the striker...

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1915

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Sometimes things are going well, eh, almost. I had fears to install the steering column because the screws attaching it to the dash are pointing towards the floor and the heads are almost invisible. By putting the model on its side, the situation was not so bad. Once the steering shaft was inserted into the steering box, the assembly was rather stable and I could install the supporting bracket without too many difficulties and without damaging the paint. All is good? Well, not exactly: when the wheels were positioned for a straight drive, the steering wheel was wrong by 180°. At first, I wanted to let it that way, but I did not like that idea. To remove the column was out of question; I tried to remove the steering wheel inside. Finally, I could turn it a half turn and now it’s the way it should. The movement from the wheel to the steering shaft is done with a tiny steel screw. Obviously, this screw will break if too much effort is required. As it’s not a toy and will be seldom “used”, I can live with that.
    And now? Another fear: soldering the wires from the LH door to the board seen on the picture…Anyway, the number of parts lying in the display cabinet is slowly diminishing!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1916

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    If the wires soldering went rather well, the result was not what I expected: during the function test, I noticed that when lowering the RH door window from the master switch, the RH quarter window went up! What was wrong? Wiring problem, a short somewhere? When I noticed that by pulling the switch without much force, the quarter window was not moving. Conclusion: something was not quite good in the master switch.
    I don’t like to open again doors, but I had no choice. Fortunately, my construction is rather service friendly, the switch can be separated without too much hassle. I just had to unbend a contact, bend a bit more another one and voilà, all windows are going up and down as intended!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1917

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    A coincidence, right now, this weekend, I am working with the team of electricians who are assembling the loom for one of our project cars.

And to my point your model does look a lot like what I just saw in our studio!

Reality mirroring model art.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1918

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks for your comments, Don. Your electrician team has a huge advantage: they can go into the project car to sort the wiring!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1919

14. Flinx's Avatar Member
    Name
    John
    I am absolutely astounded by this build of yours Roger. I joined this site just over a week ago in search of information and tips to help improve my own latest project and so far haven’t looked at anything to that end because it took me until now to read and absorb all 128 pages of your post.
    You mentioned some other builders that you yourself are in awe of and so of course I had to look into them. They are indeed incredible craftsmen but in my eyes you have them beat. Why? you may ask....because I’ve seen your tools, your workbench and your “paint booth”! And then, I got to the pages where you mentioned having cataracts! You sir, are a craftsman of the truest form.
    Its been such a pleasure reading your posts and I thank you for taking the time to share your masterpiece with me. I now must try to be patient as I await The next installment.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1920

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks lot John for your kind words. You have some merit to have read all those pages and kept in your mind details like my eyes problems (with the associated paint issues discovered later) and my minimalist tool equipment!
    I suppose you will publish in this forum what you intend to build. You probably saw that I'm showing how I did this or that with the idea others may try to copy for their own needs. after all, I did not invent the wheel, I learn from other people too.
    Welcome here, this is a great forum!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1921