Close

Page 123 of 123 FirstFirst ... 118119120121122123
Results 1,831 to 1,837 of 1837
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 24
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Roger,

Silly question? When you started, did you know how far? to what depth? -and how successful you would be with this model?

It is something to be proud of!

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1832

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    It's not a silly question! As I has some previous experience about the "how far", I already knew that I would not put an electric engine and transmission like I did on the Toronado. Electric windows were mandatory as it was standard. When I saw first the size of the windows in relation to the door, I thought that it would be easy with plenty of space. I realized later that the space was very tight!
    Indeed, I built the model the way I did with the Toronado but, compared to a Mark II, a '66 Toronado is extremely simple.
    Of course a major habit's change was the switch from polyester to brass for the body. I don't regret the change, it was an interesting challenge. I could discuss a whole day about the pros and contras between both materials, I will not do it here!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1833

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hi Roger!

When your finished, maybe it would be of interest, the list of pros and cons. I can imagine, but you of course have done it. Weighing the differences, the material needs, the learning curve, frustrations to expect? -the "if I were to do it again?" answers. etc. . .

Thank you,

Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1834

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    In the near future, the model will be ready. I will have plenty of time , so it may be an idea to do that listing. Just be patient!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1835

5. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Zimmermann View Post
    Well, no answer to my question of what is wrong with that trunk emblem...Probably it was overshadowed by the decal Continental Mark II question. Well, here is the answer: if you look at the points and lions (or whatever animal), there are 3 in the bottom and only 2 in the upper field. From design, the fields have the same dimensions but I did an error when I fabricated the part: due to the angle from the trunk lid, the horizontal bar from the emblem is not symmetrical for optical reasons. It could be that the edge from the horizontal bar is not in the middle of the emblem, but a tad lower. At the model, the "square" with the decal Continental Mark II is also a tad too low compared to the circle, aggravating the situation.
    Roger,
    I found that error too....I found a pic of the trunk lid from the real car and your picture side by side and it took me about 15 minutes to figure out the error. But I was also looking at the shape of the trunk and the shape of the emblem itself. It wasn't until I started counting the circles that I found it.

I really don't think anyone will notice unless they are REALLY familiar with that piece.

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1836

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Even by knowing that something is wrong, the error was not jumping at you! Most probably, nobody will see that error because the eyes will be distracted by other details.
    Anyway Mike, thanks for your input!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1837

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    The arm rests were first installed and the wires from the switches soldered at the proper location. I also soldered on a temporary basis the wires coming from the door to be sure about the function. There were some glitches but everything came right. The installation from the seat back was rather difficult, probably because not all elements covered with leather were tried first. Technically, the rear compartment is finished. The seat bottom will be installed (indeed, it will be just pushed in place) when the carpet will be installed.

Then I installed the hoses for both heater and the remaining vacuum hoses.
    It was the right time to do the radiator hoses. By searching in my available material, I found a rubber tube which outside diameter is near from what I wanted; I remember I bought that piece of rubber just in case; sometimes I’m lucky! On the real car, the upper hose has slightly smaller outside diameter than the bottom one, but nobody will notice that my hoses have the same dimension! To have a good look, I did also clamps, not the tower style but something I can manage. I slipped into the tubes a suitable brass rod to help the hoses to keep the intended shape, especially the lower one with its 90 angle. The radiator is now installed, I hope that I will not have to remove it again, but you never know!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1838