Close

Page 122 of 123 FirstFirst ... 117118119120121122123 LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 1837
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 24
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Good afternoon, Roger,

WOW!!

That does not seem like enough of an appraisal of your work, the combined effort of many years!, and I am sure the Pope had something more to tell Michelangelo, (though it is funny to imagine him going out to the Sistine, and saying WOW!)

It is the only expression that I respond to. So, WOW!!

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1817

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Regarding the different cameras? -I am old enough to have been the caretaker of my family's BROWNIE, a very simple, camera, that somehow continued to take very nice pictures! My father was not a camera hound, but we had our share of Polaroids, and several Instamatics, and a small pocket camera, and a Miranda 35mm. But that silly, simple black box often would take great pictures?

Your last picture shows the background as white, and the others look blue-ish? The depth of focus is also not as deep on the last? Perhaps more ambient light, to avoid a flash Continental Mark II , and use a tripod, and set the camera for a slower aperture to increase the depth of field?

Just guessing.

-Don

PS:

Could you post more pictures? This chassis of yours deserves a book!

Maybe experiment a little? Do you have a mirror you could set the model upon?

Can you safely transport it to an environment where it would look to sit "naturally"? A sheet of plywood, with dark sand Continental Mark II paper attached can convincingly be used, in a photograph to fool the viewer as a transition to a real background.

Just some thoughts. Excellent work Roger!
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 07-29-18 at 04:01 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1818

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Don. Regarding the camera, I should try different settings with the Cannon, but, frankly, I have other things to do. Same for the different environment: i's not good now. I cannot see where I could make great pictures mostly because I have for that no patience to search the ideal setting. As you can see, I'm way far to be a perfect guy!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1819

4. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    The "ideal setting" might be a section of the 1:1 Continental Mark II assembly line, but that would, of course, be a serious project in itself.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1820

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by Nortley View Post
    The "ideal setting" might be a section of the 1:1 Continental Mark II assembly line, but that would, of course, be a serious project in itself.
    I agree totally, Buck!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1821

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Continental Mark II
    Hello Roger,

Continental Mark II-img_6393-2-jpg

I was trying to see what your work would look like on my split screens?

And, - I finally figured out how to attach a picture without bumping someone's work off the forum banner!

I really am your best student in all of Long Beach, California!

-Don
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 07-30-18 at 03:35 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1822

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Well, Don, the day I have two screens, les poules auront des dents as we say in French (the hen will have teeth)!

The RH door is now completed. I had to push forwards the arm rest assembly because it was touching the wind lace at the B pillar. The upper inner molding was also touching the corresponding molding from the rear quarter; it had to move it almost mm. Fortunately, this molding is no more screwed on the inner structure but pushed down on the panel, so to relocate it was not a problem. Maybe it will now interfere with the dashboard when this later is installed…Fortunately, there is a plan B in case!

You may notice that the door's post has a chromed plate. I hope that I will not have to remove the lock; for that I must destroy that plate: it's cemented on the door and done with a 0.1mm thick brass. I suppose it will no survive the separation from the door.

I’m going to finish the LH door which will be a challenge with all those wires.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1823

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger,

In your last post? The chromed panel is the one that may need to be removed? May I ask what type of cement you used?

I have had a lot of success with heat, in breaking the bonds of most adhesives. It really does not take too much, but of course you do have to watch closely, and be prepared to pry or pull at just the right moment. -if you start too soon and the adhesive cools off, regroup and retry.

What I am suggesting is a purpose made soldering iron bit, shaped like a little spatula. A little on the thick side, maybe 2.5 mm thick, and trimmed to fit well inside the area to be heated. A variable controller is nice, but not completely necessary. The problem with a variable temperature approach is the tendency to heat soak too much of the component. -My experience is to hold the "spatula" on the area till the adhesive gives. Small wedges,(toothpicks can work), gently pushed into any area before applying the heat, and those will provide enough force to lift the panel away from the substrate.

I have done this with "Super-Glues", acrylic Continental Mark II cements, contact cements of course, and epoxy Continental Mark II . (I make lots of mistakes!)

I hope this won't be needed, but if the door does not fit, it would be a shame to damage such fine work.

Thank you for all that you show and share!

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1824

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Don, I used a 2 part cement (Araldite). From my past experience, this material is getting soft when heated; anyway, I hope that I will not to have to experience it on this part!

Finally, I could store all the wires into the LH door and close it with the trim. Another problem was noticed: when the upper molding was installed, I could not open the vent window on both doors! This is the result of the too low roof at the “A” pillar and the lowering of the vent window frame to prevent the interference with the roof. Fortunately, I could also lower the inner moldings just enough to insure a vent window function.

Yesterday was a good day: after pushing away for several days the mating of the body to the frame, I bite the bullet yesterday. Not without issues: I removed the body four times from the frame! The third time, most screws attaching the body to the frame were installed, the rear bumper too, when I noticed that one screw at the “B” pillar could not go in. I began to bore by hand the floor’s hole with tiny drills till one broke, the remaining bit stuck into the hole. The reason of the clogged hole: I used instant glue to attach a wire to the floor and apparently, some glue went into the hole. Of course I did not check every hole prior the assembly, a major mistake.
    After the 4th time, no issue was found and the body is sitting definitively on the frame.
    Now, I can continue with the rear seat/trim assembly, the heater hoses, and so on.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1825

10. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    I know such problems. Your car is beautiful especially the chrome parts and the power windows.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1826

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Markus! I'm near from completion than you, but you began later!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1827

12. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    And you are retired. That`s half the battle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1828

13. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Phenomenal!!!!!! That's all I can say. I've been following since the beginning Roger and have learned so many things from your build.
    Thanks for all the work and documentation that you have contributed.
    gbritnell
    QUOTE QUOTE #1829

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger,

It is too bad that the designers and engineers who made the Mark II are no longer around! -your model does them an honor! Looking at your last picture, the perfect way that you sculpted the rear fender, and the alignment of the bumper, and tail light. Always, very nice! The next hurdle after some assembly will be the instrument cluster?

Great work!

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1830

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks George. I'm glad you could catch some ideas from this construction, during sooo a long time!
    Don, I have the impression I was able to recreate the sprit of this great car. You are right, the complete dash installation will not be easy. Unfortunately, the proposed decals from Dougritt are still in the air; I will probably order them from the Swiss guy. With the decals on hand for the radio and instruments, I could finish that sub-assembly. Fortunately, there are still some little things which can be done in the meantime.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1831