Close

Page 114 of 125 FirstFirst ... 109110111112113114115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1867
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 24
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    My gues is rotating exhibition with a small motor, cool
    Rotating in a glassdome and remote operation of windows, seats ect.
    Last edited by Egon; 04-11-18 at 04:30 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1697

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Well, Egon, it could be...But it's not the case. In fact, this "thing" is just a tool. But for what?

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1698

3. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Then painting the car. or I give up
    QUOTE QUOTE #1699

4. happyfreddy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    freddy
    Roger You don´t want to ask us what to do.
    It´s a very nice demonstration of Your quiet hands to find out the point of exact balancing the frame and that in THREE DIMENSIONS !!!!

GREAT JOB

btw it also tells us that You used different kind of brass because left side is heavier than right side.
    If You use it at a car it´s easy to say that this model will understeer when driven in a curve

other interpretation ......
    the pic shows the famous "blue tiger " in very fast movement.
    The head of the tiger You see left side in the curtain
    QUOTE QUOTE #1700

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Come on guys! -I think we can all be a little more kind to Roger! Obviously his model has become a little too heavy for him to pick up, and he is installing a hydraulic lift in his desk!!!!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1701

6. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    It's going to be converted into a Continental Monster Truck. This is the jig to set the chassis height.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1702

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Then painting the car. or I give up
    That's perfectly correct! I need the frame to attach the front fenders, this is the reason why the frame is first installed on that tool. As the body will be painted in the kitchen, I cannot turn around it, therefore this is the body which must turn!

Thanks to the others who gave answers full of fantasy, I really appreciate them! By the way, by looking at the picture, I do see that the frame is not in the middle...Fortunately, the base is heavy enough, the model will stay where it should!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1703

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    After that funny quiz with the frame, I’m showing something more serious: the fuel hose. Its shape is most probably not 100 correct; I had to route it in a way to have no interference at the frame. In fact, no fuel will go through, just electricity: I did a positive lead into the fuel neck and a wire is going inside that tube. The current distribution will be in the trunk.

Now, I can assemble the body to the frame for painting.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1704

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    1 step forward and 10 backward. That what I experienced yesterday: I expected to paint the body. Everything was green: the body surface was satisfactory, the kitchen was free and I had plenty of newspaper to protect it. I did first light coats of the blue paint, followed by a rather wet coat Continental Mark II . The idea was to let the paint dry and then apply the clear coat Continental Mark II . After a rather short time, I noticed that at some places there was a step in the paint. By looking well, all those issues were at the places I had to repair once my right eye had a good vision again. Of course, when I saw that, the clear coat Continental Mark II was out of question. When dry, the steps could be felt with the fingers, it was not just optical. It’s like the untouched surfaces absorbed more solvent as the repaired sections and were swelling.
    I removed the body from that construction and did an inventory: only 3 panels were issue free: both doors and the RH front fender. All other panels have one or more issues.

The foreseen good red wine to celebrate that step stayed in the cellar…

When dry, I wet sanded the trunk lid until the step was gone and let it that way overnight. Today, early afternoon, I put again a wet blue coat on the lid to see if an unwanted reaction would take place again. Fortunately, that problem did not occur again.
    In the next few days, I will sand Continental Mark II down all bad surfaces and apply a light blue coat. After another complete light sanding Continental Mark II , I will reassemble the body on the frame and continue the paint job. I hope with clear coat Continental Mark II this time and no more issues. Cross the fingers!

I tried to document the problem areas; unfortunately, they are not visible on pictures. As always, pictures are lying!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1705

10. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    That is too bad Roger but on the bright side, that body is just plain outright beautiful!
    What is it about the repairs that you think caused the problem?
    QUOTE QUOTE #1706

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Good morning Roger!

Your application of paint looks very good, and shows off the crispness and subtle details of your work well! You obviously have great finesse with spray-cans. I work with 1:1 Continental Mark II scale painters who cannot understand that a model needs to have a thinner Continental Mark II film of paint.

My fingers are crossed! Good luck!

Thank you for all that you show and share!

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1707

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulPK View Post
    That is too bad Roger but on the bright side, that body is just plain outright beautiful!
    What is it about the repairs that you think caused the problem?
    Thanks Paul and Don!
    To repair the surfaces which had multiple pores, I used 2 K putty Continental Mark II . Therefore, the thickness of the solvent based products around the repair is a tad thicker and is "working" or reacting more than surfaces on which just a very thin coat of primer Continental Mark II was used. I see the problem that way.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1708

13. happyfreddy's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    freddy
    Painting is the only thing at model cars that cannot be reduced in same scale as the model itself.
    The painting needs a certain thickness - even at metallic Continental Mark II painture - to get that beauty look of a smooth skin

Great job Roger .... well done
    QUOTE QUOTE #1709

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Quote Originally Posted by happyfreddy View Post

Great job Roger .... well done
    Thanks, but not good enough! And, about paint thickness: you are totally right: if a color coat from a car is 0.2mm, on a scale model at 1:10, the coat will not be 0.02mm!

It seems that the corrections at the body are successful: I sanded the places which had “steps” and sprayed a light coat of the base color. In one or two repairs, I had to sand Continental Mark II again and respray a light color coat. I will have to sand Continental Mark II all the parts individually, assemble the whole body again and respray the color coat and, I hope, the clear coat Continental Mark II .
    When I was at the paint, I noticed that the wheels were still raw brass. They are now blue, without drama.
    On the picture, the upper left tire is damaged. It will go as spare tire as it will have to be modified: I cannot close the trunk lid when the spare wheel is in its cavity! Either the spare wheel well was not deep enough or the outside diameter of the tires is exaggerated from about 3 mm.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1710

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Maybe it's over-inflated!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1711