Close

Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 99100101102103104
Results 1,546 to 1,548 of 1548
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 23
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Roger,
    Interesting process. I would have thought the leather grain would be out of scale but it looks great.
    Paul
    QUOTE QUOTE #1547

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Thanks for the comments! About the grain, there is a dilemma: if the grain is scaled down, it looks like plastic. If the grain is more coarse, it's out of scale...

The work is going on with the seats. With the exception of the robe cords (parts must be chromed), the front seat is ready as well as the rear cushion. Right now, I’m working on the central armrest; this is why only the upper part of the back rest is ready The most difficult aspect at the seats is the welting done with the same color as the inserts.

Even with very thin leather, there are sometimes bad surprises…To continue the rear seat, I had to install the side trim panels. Some modifications were required because 4 thin leather are almost ½ mm thick!

Continental Mark II
    Last edited by Roger Zimmermann; 11-21-17 at 10:48 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1548

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Hello Roger!

I have a technique that I am hesitant to recommend, but many have used it, myself included. But it's sort of "Out of the Box".

Basically its to make a mold of your leather or any surface texture that you like, and create a film that can then be used in applique.

Some make-up people have even used the textures of oranges to simulate the pores of skin.!

To do it all you have to do is to lay out a sample of the texture out flat, make some shallow walls around it, lightly wax the whole area,(Vaseline jelly will do, rubbing it all over and then gently wiping it off, usually leaves enough residue to safely act as a barrier). Next is to make sure your working on a flat truly horizontal area, and pour RTV Continental Mark II onto your pattern.(Test this with a small sample to check for curing Continental Mark II issues / some items can inhibit RTV Continental Mark II from curing Continental Mark II ).

Once your mold has cured you can brush in any of the "Hobby" grade "Fast Casting Continental Mark II resins, those that cure Continental Mark II in 15-20 minutes, you can use the flexible resins
    and use them as you would leather. The "Hard" resins if poured thin can usually be formed while they are in a "Green" state, (Not fully cured) or with a little heat from a hot Continental Mark II air gun. . . . Curing Continental Mark II times will usually go long, because thin pours of resins into a film are very slow to exotherm. As these resins cure Continental Mark II they create heat, which they need to complete their cure Continental Mark II .

-There are a few variations of this process, but it does work! I have done whole 1:1 Continental Mark II dash boards this way, and I have seen many "Mock-up" interiors done as well. A variation used in the "Monster make-up" dept. in the movie industry, creates organic looking skins for Zombies, Gorillas, Dinosaurs, . . .

P.S. -Some people have painted regular house paint into the molds, building up several coats, and then peeled that film out and used it as a skin.(I have not
    had an easy time doing this, and I'm not sure of its technique)

-Don
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 11-21-17 at 12:30 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1549