Close

Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 979899100101102
Results 1,516 to 1,529 of 1529
    1. Kit: Roger Zimmermann, by (Yearly Subscriber) Roger Zimmermann is offline
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (16 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 23
      Started: 05-17-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built

As stated in my presentation, I'm doing since 2 years a Continental Mark II, scale 1:12. Presently, I'm doing the floor; the trunk floor is ready. The next step is going towards the front by doing the floor under the rear seat. To spare metal and unnecessary reworks, I did first a model with cardboard. Now, it will be easier to cut the brass at the proper place.

Continental Mark II
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    After about one month at the plating company, the fourth batch is back yesterday afternoon. At first, it seems that all the parts are well plated Continental Mark II . The small cage with the parts to be nickeled is back too. I hope that I did not forget something and this is the last batch…

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1517

2. Urshimato's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Frank
    Hello Roger,
    Lovely looking tree Continental Mark II you have there. They (the parts) will look stunning when in place, I'm looking forward to see that.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1518

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Hello Roger!

Every time you post, its just as exciting for us as it must be for you! The anticipation, and worries about the plating, are for me, the same as if they were my parts! I always study your posts, trying to see all that I can, and learn something new. -With the little chrome "purse", do you have to cut it open or ? And how do all those letters look? And why don't they get plated Continental Mark II to the cage?

As always, Thank you for sharing! -Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #1519

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by Urshimato View Post
    Hello Roger,
    Lovely looking tree Continental Mark II you have there. They (the parts) will look stunning when in place, I'm looking forward to see that.
    Me too, Frank! Thanks for your comment.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1520

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    Hello Roger!

Every time you post, its just as exciting for us as it must be for you! The anticipation, and worries about the plating, are for me, the same as if they were my parts! I always study your posts, trying to see all that I can, and learn something new. -With the little chrome "purse", do you have to cut it open or ? And how do all those letters look? And why don't they get plated Continental Mark II to the cage?

As always, Thank you for sharing! -Don
    Yes, Don, I don't like to have a batch of parts outside: if the tree Continental Mark II is lost, (it may happen), there are many hours lost...
    Yes, I will have to cut the small basket to have the parts. I did not cut is right now; it seems that all which is inside is still "moving" freely. I did not ask, but I doubt that the cage is getting a copper bath, just nickel. However, for the chromed parts, they are getting first a thin copper coat.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1521

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    Basically, the seats are done. There will be more detail work when I will cover the wood with the leather as the shape of the various elements is done without taking the leather thickness into account. The most demanding element was the rear central armrest. I measured the dimensions of the various levers but, for the first time in 8 years, I lost that piece of paper. I could have gone back to the new Mark II owner but I decided that indeed a rear movable arm rest could not be rocket science! I did first a mechanism with cardboard 5 times the actual parts and saw that, to have a logic movement, precise dimensions is a must. After some trial and errors, I was set and could go with the metal parts. As you can see on the pictures, the arm rest is partly brass and wood.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1522

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    ​its a bit too soon for it, but do not forget to drop some 1/12th scale coins down in the seats!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #1523

8. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    I can`t wait to see the seats covered with leather.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1524

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You will not have to wait too long; I suppose something will happens with that subject the next few weeks.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1525

10. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #1526

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    When parts are difficult to realize, I have the bad habit to push away their construction. The small conduit for the wiring at the doors is one of those…Before I’m beginning with the body preparation, I had to do them. At first, by looking at the real pieces I did not understand the shape behind the pillar and decided to do it my way. Then I saw that the wiring would hit the door’s pillar…Therefore the hook was needed. I had to install and remove the door many times to have the right shape but, as 11 wires have to take place in that conduit on the LH door, I increased the dimensions a tad. For that reason, I had also to enlarge the aperture at the pillar…On the RH door, there are only 5 wires and that piece could be done marginally thinner Continental Mark II .

Doing this small addition let me take a decision: normally, door hinges are assembled with a not removable shaft. I had that on the RH door and I realized that when the conduit is in place, the aperture of the door is reduced, preventing to install all the screws at the pillar. When I tried to attach the hinges at the pillar and then to install the door at the hinges, I had so many difficulties to find the holes for the screws I decided the make the final assembly just by inserting a shaft into the hinges. When the front fender are installed, nobody will notice this trick.

The conduit is the unpainted piece between both hinges.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1527

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Continental Mark II
    A quick update about the work: I’m preparing the body for the paint. It’s a tedious work as the shape of the car is rather complex. The picture is almost like a real car in a body shop with some progress. There are high and low spots; when sanding Continental Mark II the red epoxy Continental Mark II primer Continental Mark II , most of the high spots are gone, but not always: when the brass can be seen, it has obviously not the correct shape. Some brass can be removed by filing, but I have to stop before the material is too thin or, worse, has a hole. Low spots are filled up with some filler. Once sanded, the surface is getting a thin coat of primer Continental Mark II and the chase to high/low sports continue…I was convinced that the LH rear quarter was fine and as you can see on the picture, it was not.
    Hood, roof and trunk lid are ready; the remaining elements not yet. It will take a long time until I will be satisfied.
    During curing Continental Mark II time, I’m covering some parts with leather which is .1 to .2 mm (0.004 to 0.008”) thick; unfortunately, the leather I have is not the right color. I will show the covered parts only when they have been painted with the proper color; I’m awaiting leather paint for the next few days.

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1528

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Roger Zimmermann
    Hello Roger!

Thank you for posting, especially at this point, too many people think that the first thing that they see when looking at a car, or a model, is the paint? but they are wrong! The first thing they see is the surfacing, the preparation before the painting! is what we see first!

No matter how good your technique at painting may be, it will not hide a poorly surfaced car(model).

-What type of adhesive do you use with leather? Contact cement?

Thank you!

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #1529

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I'm not using a contact cement, Don, but a universal glue. Contact cement, if coming on the surface, get brown with the age. The glue I'm using can be cleaned with water. The bonding between brass and leather is certainly not the best, but sufficient. It could be much better when the parts are heated like I discovered by accident: on the inner sail panel, there are two buttons. My initial thinking was to solder them on the base brass plate. It was OK for the first part, but I let the soldering iron a too long time on the second one: the leather was ruined and that glue sticked to the brass like hell! I had to redo that part; this time, I glued the buttons...

You are perfectly right about paint and preparation. Paint is a little bit forgiving, not like the chrome which hides nothing!

Continental Mark II
    QUOTE QUOTE #1530