Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 8C 2300 Alfa

Builder Last Online: Apr 2010 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-18-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Well here we go, to many wants, not enough time/money. But today I again got a super deal on a Pocher. For many years I would only buy a kit, but with the prices as much as a used car for one of the high end kits, I now look for re-buildable assembled cars. And as favor would have, I believe today I got a complete car at a price that makes me one happy boy. I received another kit this past Monday (FIAT), then yesterday I made a offer for this one and the guy accepted this evening. Did not take long to log onto Pay-pal and pay for this gal. I will go thru the car, tear down and rebuild, this I believe would make the 5th 8C Alfa I have had. This version offers a unlimited world of mods and or versions. Will clean up and will work on down the road, got a Cord 1st on build list.

8C 2300 Alfa

Build Photos

8C 2300 Alfa-budu-pwbwk-kgrhgookiwejllme-bknocp3ecg-_12-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-bududlwbwk-kgrhgookjuejllmu-7-bknoc6r59q-_12-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-buduntq-wk-kgrhgookjyejllms1ctbknod-pe-_12-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-budu0dq-wk-kgrhgookimejllmvzhzbknoec-ujg-_12-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-budu4rqbmk-kgrhgookjwejllms-t7bknoeqqqjw-_12-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    Postman dropped this off today. Seems to be all there, will know better after I tear down. Fella who assembled thought you needed to glue as well as screw the assemblies, oh well I can fix. Over all after dusting off, very pleased with. Now to order the needed parts for this puppy. Stay tuned for a re-make of this grand racing lady.:)'

8C 2300 Alfa
    Attached Images Attached Images 8C 2300 Alfa-alfa-001-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-alfa-004-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Not bad at all!! On first look, it doesn't even look like it needs restoration. I'm sure there are a lot of things you're going to want to detail. We'd love to see how you progress through it. Good luck.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    Posted yesterday photos as received. I completely disassembled and am now prepping 8C 2300 Alfa parts. You can see from some of the photos what I meant about the fella who built liked glue. Has had its moments while taking apart, but all is done now. Started working on frame rails to remove all the glue, sand 8C 2300 Alfa square, then fill all the voids, and then prime. Took about 2hours to get to this point in the frame rail(still have this one to finish and then the other one). I see now this is going to be a labor of love to re-build. Do not know what type glue he used, but the stuff after all this time is still plyable and does not give up the ghost w/o a fight. Discovered all the problems he had during assembly, one of which was the floor board was broken in half and he re-glued. Now I will have to order the SS PE floorboard set. Don't you just love it when you can justify the purchase of a detail part.

8C 2300 Alfa
    Attached Images Attached Images 8C 2300 Alfa-001-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-004-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-006-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-008-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-009-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That glue looks like some type of rubber glue. It must have come off in teeny tiny little pieces but the result looks pretty good. I'm glad there aren't too many surprises underneath.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Good grief....perhaps that's some sort of silicone or construction adhesive.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    As I took apart I was surprised at the locations the glue had been used. No where was it used to glue parts of assembly, but rather as if he was adding additional strength to the part by coating the outside area of the part w/glue from another planet! What you see on the front of the frame was the attachment points for the fenders! Also in the same area was a glob for ea. side of the radiator, and the radiator stone shield, thats the flat piece spanning across the front of the frame/radiator. Removing this piece was the most difficult. Not only did he use the glue in this way, but also coated ea. and every bolt/nut, you know like you would do to keep sight screws from moving out of adjustment on a rifle????? That little deal cost the most time to dis-assemble the car than anything else. But at least I was able to remove the glue. I use liquid glue and I use in a way to weld the parts together, so I can not get too madd @ this way of building, if you tried to take apart what I have assembled, you will break the part for sure!!!!!! I believe what was used was a type of house hold glue such as Duco which was used by many until they discovered Tester's. Now I will need to order as well a set of those screw assortments offered here on this site. More.

8C 2300 Alfa
    Last edited by Buildlarge; 06-28-09 at 10:20 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That old Duco cement. I learned early in my model building career that Duco was terrible for models. It's like the stuff never hardened right. I wonder where the builder got the idea to use that cement like he did.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    Would you be able to remove the glue by dipping complete sub-assemblies in oven cleaner? (24 hours, closed plastic bag)
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    So far most has peeled off and the stubborn areas are sanded down. I had a bad experience with oven cleaner and I do not use it to do other than what was designed to be used for. But I do thank you for your tip and I hope to see some of your work posted as well. Restoration work is very involved and is not for everybody. Cheers:)'

8C 2300 Alfa
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    That glue looks like Araldite. If so, you can get it off with a small chisel or similar tool. It should not affect the underlying part too much.

good luck
    Mouppe.
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    Thanks for the info on the glue and I do believe after looking into you are right about the type glue used. And yes, the easiest way to get off has been to remove w/a flat chisel blade in an X-acto handle.

8C 2300 Alfa
    Attached Images Attached Images 8C 2300 Alfa-008-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    I am looking at covering the seat in leather, and I am playing with the idea to add a divider. I intend to rebuild as a racer, just have not figured if a period or one that is used today at Antique Road Rallies. Check out the photos, I found while researching. I hate to admit this, bought another from Ebay today for parts and hopefully another build of a display chassis w/engine w/o body.

8C 2300 Alfa
    Attached Images Attached Images 8C 2300 Alfa-seat2-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-seat-jpg  8C 2300 Alfa-monzaseat-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. John's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    John
    The overhead shot is of Nuvolari's number 28 car at Monza.
    Attached Images Attached Images 8C 2300 Alfa-monaco-1932-28-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. John's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    John
    Sorry I meant to say that the photo I attached is of the same car at Monaco the same year.

Cheers
    John
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    :)'I got ya! I found the photo of re-fueling funny that it was being done with a hose/nozzle. I have seen photo's from same period with fuel cans almost as they use today. I was watching Speed Channel some time ago and a fella is on every now and again with what has too be the best job in the World, he takes old cars out for a little test drive and you get to watch and hear these works of metal art @ work. Once I was able to catch him driving a Alfa 8C 2300. The thing was a total monster, he said it was a blast to drive. And he did drive it fast and hard, never missed a beat. Getting ready to go to the Smokey Mtns and camp f/4th. Still working @ getting the glue from (he hockey sticks) off. Slow process, but I am getting it done. Will leave you with this little hint of next approach to kit, engine will be a cast block and not a Aluminum block, as soooo many others model. See if you can tell what I did to do this!!!!!! Toying w/idea to change distributor to another means of getting the fire to the plugs. The engine will be built as a race engine and not as the norm, as others build. And yes it will be prototypical

8C 2300 Alfa
    QUOTE QUOTE #31