Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Vintage 37 CORD

Builder Last Online: Apr 2010 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-17-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Just won on Ebay, have another bid in on one like it but assembled. The second is for back up parts and from both kits, hope to be able to produce a complete version of this great American classic. I got this kit as a boy many many moons ago for a present and my Dad assembled while I got to watch, he was afraid I could not put togeather! I often wondered while he assembled was the kit for me or him? After it was finished, I did get to keep on a shelf in my room and there it would remain long after I joined the Army. After that who knows what happened to it. The Cord would be produced again but not in the same form as the original. The differance that you want to look for is the flip up head lights, later version did not come with this feature. So as I was looking thru Ebay I was surprised when I saw this kit up for bids and after a few more searches, found a second one assembled but the fella has said was failing apart because glue was no longer holding car togeather. Tube glue will after many years dry out, become brittle and if you want to restore, the parts just pop apart. I also was surprised to find build threads here for this same car, hot Vintage 37 CORD dog! So now I wait for Pay-pal and the USPS to do their part and I get my hands on this again. If possible, hopefully I will be able to assemble two and give one to my dad, I am sure that will put a big ole grin on his face.

Build Photos

Vintage 37 CORD-1244671970_5101-jpg  Vintage 37 CORD-1244671972_9665-jpg  Vintage 37 CORD-1244671976_2523-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Rick, setting the overhead cam etc. engines aside for a moment, in most cases a flathead really has no valve covers, You have a block and the head (inline engines) or heads in the case of a V-8. The valves on a flathead are in the block. In the case of a more modern engine (OHV) overhead valve....the valves, rockers, valve springs etc. are in the head covered by...Ta, Da...a valve cover.

Technically a Flat Head does however cover the valves...so if you want to call them valve covers...go for it.
    Thanks for the info, I know very little about this engine and as always someone will come forward with the needed info. So if they would not be know as valve covers, it is correct to just refer to them as the heads. I have often wondered if this would be the correct way to refer to this part of the engine. Thanks Don for the info.
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Yep, it's called a head. I was a bit concerned that you might get the feeling I was stepping on your toes.......glad you took it for what it was worth and meant. By the way....Jeff used to call heads valve covers too.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    I learned to respect the Screaming Eagle and follow his advise rather than to argue and challenge. Gary Owen!
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Yep, it's called a head. I was a bit concerned that you might get the feeling I was stepping on your toes.......glad you took it for what it was worth and meant. By the way....Jeff used to call heads valve covers too.
    He's right about that. I also used to call valve covers heads too. I guess if I get the right part glued on, I'm o.k.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Well had to dig abit to find and I did find it. I have been away for a spell and had to re-register w/a new site name now of RickyGene and not the old one as Buildlarge.
    So, I dug the Cord back out, visited the site and have spent most of the weekend reading post here.
    Will again start work on this ole gal and will post some photos soon of where I am @. I have learned some new tricks and will post a photo of how the engine block and trans housing now have a better cast look to them.
    Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Rick. It's good to see you back. I hope you're doing o.k. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to do with the kit. I still haven't finished mine.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Well lets get started again!!!!!!
    I have not built any models in some time, the last one was well over 2 years ago, but again, the desire to build is flowing and I went back to one I had played around with for a short while, the 1937 Cord.
    This is one of my favorite Automobiles, I think the design just screams, hey look @ me!!!!!!!!!
    Also for the time frame of when there were no limits to what one could put into a chassis, this was a beast of a vehilce.
    My Dad once told me, you knew when this car was coming from a mile away by that sound coming from those wonderful pipes that again said, hey look @ me and I got the juice to back it up.
    I believe it to be one of the most beautiful American made cars from this period of time.

So, lets look @ the beast under the hood............a very good rep comes in the kit, but as w/all kits improvements can be made...and I have started with the block casing/trans casing.
    The block comes w/a lite texture reping a cast block as well as the bellhousing f/the transmission.
    I used a ole armour modeling trick to made them appear more cast in appearance w/stripling Mr Surfacer 500 w/a cut down square brush.
    Apply to the areas that need texturing, let dry and Chazzam.........cast parts. I use to do this w/a Dremel Vintage 37 CORD and small burr bit, but it can eat away thru plastic before one even realizes it
    Discovered this technique a few years ago and it looks pretty good once painted.
    Until then, it looks like a bad primer Vintage 37 CORD job............
    Attached Images Attached Images Vintage 37 CORD-texturing-engine-block-cord-003-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. RickyGene's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Hey Rick. It's good to see you back. I hope you're doing o.k. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to do with the kit. I still haven't finished mine.
    Howdy ole friend, went back to see where you got w/yours and you got further than I did.
    Anyway, great to hear from you and I hope I do 1/2 the job you did w/your build of the engine.
    Thanks for the welcome back.
    Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #39