Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vintage 37 CORD

Builder Last Online: Apr 2010 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-17-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Just won on Ebay, have another bid in on one like it but assembled. The second is for back up parts and from both kits, hope to be able to produce a complete version of this great American classic. I got this kit as a boy many many moons ago for a present and my Dad assembled while I got to watch, he was afraid I could not put togeather! I often wondered while he assembled was the kit for me or him? After it was finished, I did get to keep on a shelf in my room and there it would remain long after I joined the Army. After that who knows what happened to it. The Cord would be produced again but not in the same form as the original. The differance that you want to look for is the flip up head lights, later version did not come with this feature. So as I was looking thru Ebay I was surprised when I saw this kit up for bids and after a few more searches, found a second one assembled but the fella has said was failing apart because glue was no longer holding car togeather. Tube glue will after many years dry out, become brittle and if you want to restore, the parts just pop apart. I also was surprised to find build threads here for this same car, hot Vintage 37 CORD dog! So now I wait for Pay-pal and the USPS to do their part and I get my hands on this again. If possible, hopefully I will be able to assemble two and give one to my dad, I am sure that will put a big ole grin on his face.

Build Photos

Vintage 37 CORD-1244671970_5101-jpg  Vintage 37 CORD-1244671972_9665-jpg  Vintage 37 CORD-1244671976_2523-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. ERA Chas's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Chas
    Hey you 2 Cord lovers! Here's a present I found locally for you:
    Autosport Vehicle Inventory
    Is a '36 OK?
    Chas
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    I want One! I wish. Thanks for the site, the info is most informative and the photos are a detailer's dream. Again, this is why I love this Forum. In it's day (Cord 812), people would run outside and watch for it, well before it got there because they heard it coming first. That's my kind of car. For anyone interested in car history, the Cord is a outstanding story, when this car was first shown, the car buffs of the day considered it the most beautiful automobile ever made in America, and some still do even today. Rumor had it, ole Henry was not too happy when the 812 made it's appearance. To this day a Cord of any type will turn heads and to hear this piece of art turn over that powerful power plant that rumbles thru those chrome outside headers, you will be impressed. I often think how grand it would have been to have the ability to live in those days and get to play with all these neat toys from Cords to Indians, what a ride!!!!!! I know there are many exotic automobiles made from all over the world, and some are true pieces of art, but for me, this car is at the top of the list for beauty, well ahead of it's time. And the best of all, made in the USA.Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. ERA Chas's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Chas
    I love 'em too. Have to dust off my mine and pull it out of the stash.
    Happy to help you guys.
    Chas
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    Well come on ERA Chas, dust that puppy off and start posting. Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Chas. I didn't have that one in my research pics. The 36 is just fine. I'm not sure what the differences were between the 36 and 37 but from what I've seen, I can't tell the difference. Dust off that box, Chas and join in the build. I'd love to see what we all wind up with.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    I believe the differences between the two are as listed. 1st the 810 does not have side exhaust headers. 2nd The body of the 810 appears to be a bit longer to allow for the rear window/seat. 3rd The interior is different because the 812 is a two seater sport coupe. All of which results in subtle differences. To me the 1936 810 is the family mans Hot Vintage 37 CORD Rod, where as the 1937 was directed at the guy who was a sports car guy at heart, but also wanted the brute power of a V8 Hot Vintage 37 CORD Rod. But to be honest, I would be happy with either one. After studying the photo's closely, there is a wealth of detail to see and apply to a build. hot Vintage 37 CORD ford coupe, I can not wait to see what you are going to do w/those bullet light cans. This should be interesting. I was looking at the photo you posted of the silver/blue version, but the headlights were set into those wonderfully fat fenders, however I am very course as to what you are going to do with those. Are they plastic or turned aluminum. Rick
    Last edited by Buildlarge; 07-31-09 at 05:42 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    Here is where I am @ on engine build. Block assembled and squared up. Left Valve Cover has been modified by removing molded bolts, drilling and eye candy (chrome bolts) added. Also notice I have removed the water pipe from the inlet of the valve cover, these I will replace w/alum tubing and rubber hoses w/clamps. Still some tweaking and drilling to go to complete this cover. I have noticed in photos there appears to be two different finishes on the valve covers. The reconditioned cars all seem to have chrome plated Vintage 37 CORD valve covers. Period photos show a metallic Vintage 37 CORD gray finish. It is this finish I will go with to allow the chrome bolts to add bling bling to the covers.Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images Vintage 37 CORD-001-jpg  Vintage 37 CORD-003-jpg  Vintage 37 CORD-004-jpg  Vintage 37 CORD-006-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The metallic Vintage 37 CORD gray finish is the one I would go with. I originally should have used Model Master's buffing magnesium which gives a nice dull metallic Vintage 37 CORD gray but I must have used a resto for research. I used aluminum plate metalizer Vintage 37 CORD with a slight rubbing. It looks a bit polished but not chromed. Since mine is still exposed, I finishing the engine off with a little dark washing. Now that I don't have to complete the model for the show in Ohio, I can go back and sharpen up some of those details. Fortunately, it's not too late for improvement. I'd love to see what you do with the kit. I'm up for some learnin'.
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 07-30-09 at 07:50 PM.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    You guys are both on the right track....Flathead engines are famous for overheating. Yeah, show cars and model kits chrome plate them but chrome on the heads dramatically reduces their ability to dissipate heat. Not cool...
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    That my friend is a fact. I never have owned a Flathead, but my dear ole Dad did and many were hopped-up as he says and none were equipped w/chrome valve covers. Here is an interesting story my Dad tells of how one Saturday night his older brother took a 37 Ford,he had cut the fenders off by hand, brush painted black, but ran like a bat outta he hockey sticks. Had a souped-up as he was told by big bro flat head that could take anything in the county. They happened to be at the local gathering spot and a fella pulled in driving a brand new 1949 Ford, I seem to remember the color was Fire Red as Dad called her. White wall tires w/baby moon Ford hub-caps, fish tail exhaust tips that sounded with the varoom of a then new Ford Flat Head V8, sings her song. The fella driving took a look at the ol beat-up, poorly painted, no-fendered farm boys pride and a sneer ran across his lips. Now my Uncle was a 7 foot, lanky swaggering, hand rollin cigarette smokin mountain boy and he knew a insult when he saw one. In a slow easy voice above the roaring of the Red 49, he asked the fella driving this new car if she could run. The fella said to him, yea, and will leave your pile of junk in the dust! Uncle walked slowly over to his steed, un-hooked the chicken wire that held the driver's side door shut, eased his tall body into his car, yelled at the guy, lets do this. Now what this fancy boy did not know was this pile of junk out run every lawman in the county while haulin that Mt. Dew everyone like to sip. Both vehicles pull side by side, each looked at the other and with the drop of a hat, both took to the pavement like scalded cats. Now the end of the story is this, when the evening was over, Uncle was the new owner of a Red 49 Ford. Oh yea, he kept on blasting the dirt roads in that no-fendered Ford for many years. My Dad said to me as a young hot Vintage 37 CORD rodder, never look at the other fellas ride and think because it does not have all that pretty stuff as he called it, might be another one of those non-fendered sleepers that will eat your lunch. Asked the guy what he has done under the hood before you let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash, or should I say that ride.Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'll be doing a bit more weathering Vintage 37 CORD on the Cord chassis and the engine. I'm also not that nuts about chrome on working engines. I prefer a polished look rather than actual plating. Anyone know if a polishing a surface affects the heat dissipation? I know a rougher surface has more surface area but I really don't know if the difference is that significant.
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    I am no Flat Head V8 expert, but one of the things anyone with knowledge about engines will notice is that there is water pumped to the heads rather than thru the top end of the block. For this reason I believe chrome plating to the, if this is correctly termed, the valve cover hinders the ability to cool the water but build-up additional heat. By the time the small block V8 made it's appearance, about all the power that could be wrung out of a Flat Head V8 had been reached. Now the Hot Vintage 37 CORD Rodders had a new toy to play with in a V8 engine as we know it today. With this toy came an engine that was easier to keep it's cool. I have noticed that many 30's Sports Cars did however have numerous polished parts to include valve covers and a whole assortment of parts. But in all the photo's I have looked @ no chrome until after WWII, and the guys that had the fun of speed in the military brought that desire back and begin the now known Hot Vintage 37 CORD Rods. Then came show and tell, not only was it enough to run fast, but had to look good too! In most period photo's of FH's, there is no chrome, but rather a cast/painted engine. Of all the photos I have studied of the Cord's engine, the Supercharger is the only polished part I have noticed, the rest was either painted or left in it's natural state as mfg'd. The only chrome is those wonderful header wrapped pipes coming out the side of the engine bay thru the fat fenders.:)'Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Rick, setting the overhead cam etc. engines aside for a moment, in most cases a flathead really has no valve covers, You have a block and the head (inline engines) or heads in the case of a V-8. The valves on a flathead are in the block. In the case of a more modern engine (OHV) overhead valve....the valves, rockers, valve springs etc. are in the head covered by...Ta, Da...a valve cover.

Technically a Flat Head does however cover the valves...so if you want to call them valve covers...go for it.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks guys for the info. That's one reason I always strip the chromed engine parts first. I guess those heavily chromed mills have to be trailered to most of their shows. I'm sure otherwise they'd heat up too much.
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Old Busted Hotness's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Stu
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    The valves on a flathead are in the block. In the case of a more modern engine (OHV) overhead valve....the valves, rockers, valve springs etc. are in the head covered by...Ta, Da...a valve cover.
    I'd have thought a man of your -ahem- advanced years would remember the term "rocker covers"

Somewhere I have a bunch of pics I took at the ACD museum. I'll see if I can find 'em and scan the relevant ones.
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #31