Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 1
      Started: 05-18-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

My newest project is an Alfa 8C2300 rolling chassis and display engine. The body will be a Monza, but it's going to be displayed off the chassis.

The engine in the chassis will be fabricated with a magneto start. The display engine will feature the distributor starter.

Hopefully about 9 to 12 months from now, The Satin Doll will have another little sister.

Andy.

Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine

Build Photos

Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p5100040-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p4300034-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p5010032-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p4170048-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p5010016-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    With only a few minor things left to work out on the chassis, I've started working on the chassis engine.

I started with the Alfa Engine Kit by Model Motorcars Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine . After sanding Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine off the cast inspection covers I fabricated a new set in aluminum. Then I got the generator done. The generator will go into the chassis engine while the display engine will feature a magneto start.

Andy.

Attached Images Attached Images Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p9020138-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p9020141-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p9020142-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p9020143-jpg 
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    You get a three what the........WOW's! And too think you are using a Modelmotor Cars resin Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine engine.......holy cow Batman....that is a high priced engine. I am watching this very, very, closely. Your build is in keeping with the other Master Builders on this forum. So much to learn, so little time!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the fact you understand the inspection panels on the engine block were not always painted, but left in their natural state. I was sent a test shot of the block and some other parts when this was in development, sadly I included in a sale of a Alfa kit. I am playing with the idea of opening up one of these, inspection panels and reworking the inside of the block to allow the viewing of a group of pistons/rods and sleeves. Now I know you can not see in a real engines unless you open up the block, but this would give a person a chance to see what is going on inside the block, have seen this done w/a Bugatti engine. Great build.T:u*****
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You have to keep your eyes on what Andy does. He's definitely been one of the site masters for a long time, one of the best. I've learned a ton on stuff from him and you will too.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks guys for the kind words.

I spent most of the weekend working on the starter coil and distributor... I hope to have those done in the next few days. I'll post more pics as soon as I have something worth photographing.

Andy.

[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    At the rate this is going, my grand children will be coming over to see if it's done yet. After taking a few months out to build a new web site, I'm back at the bench.

And as the snow falls and the holiday lights glow, I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a New Year of peace and health.

Andy.

Attached Images Attached Images Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-sparetirefinished01-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-sparetirefinished02-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-sparetiremounted02-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-sparetirepb240005-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-sparetirepb240006-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-marksalfafirewall17-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-marksalfafirewall16-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-marksalfafirewall12-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-marksalfafirewall18-jpg 
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Nice, really nice. Mario now has a building buddy for doing detailed Pochers. I envy the ability to do metal work.
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'm really glad to see Andy back at the bench. He along with Mario and a number of others are our site maestri.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Winter is when I get to spend the most time at the bench. I'm looking forward to making significant progress this winter. It's hard to believe how long it's taken just to get to this stage of the build. I guess I shouldn't be surprised... The Satin Doll required 2 years!

[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Nobody is ever going to accuse me of rushing to get this Alfa done. Over the past few months, I've been working on a variety of sub-assemblies.

First - Having never loved the way my frame looked from underneath, I made new cross braces and a protective tunnel for the drive shaft.

Attached Images Attached Images Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2200061-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2200063-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2200066-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2200069-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2200071-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2210090-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2210095-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2210096-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2240123-jpg 
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Next - I fabricated mounting pieces that allow me to attach all three engine pieces (block, transmission, cap piece) without using any glue or bolts. This way I can put things together and take them apart as the build demands.

Attached Images Attached Images Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p1300008-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p1300009-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p1300011-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p1310040-jpg 
    Last edited by Andym; 03-03-10 at 06:39 PM.
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    After that I turned my attention to the lubrication system. As the oil bag on my Alfa was going to be on the passenger side of the chassis, I had to cut the top off the Pocher-supplied unit and replace it with a flat top so I could tuck the oil tank up into the frame making room for the exhaust to pass underneath.

Since I was butchering the oil tank anyway, I chopped off the filler neck and replaced it with a brass mount that looked a little more realistic. I finished up by fabricating the oil lines out of brass and building mounts to attach the oil tank to the chassis using nuts and bolts.

Attached Images Attached Images Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2070467-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2080500-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2080503-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2090515-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2090526-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2090527-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2090528-jpg 
    Last edited by Andym; 03-03-10 at 06:41 PM.
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    And finally, I made the fuel lines and got those attached to the gas tank.

That's pretty much it for now.

Andy.

Attached Images Attached Images Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2090546-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2090549-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2090554-jpg  Alfa 8C Chassis and Display Engine-p2090555-jpg 
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Great Job Andy...I love to see this car "grow"

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks Ton. I just wish I wasn't growing so old getting it done. I know it's not a race and there's not prize for getting them done quickly, but when there's a different man sitting in the oval office when you're model is finished than there was when you started, that may be a sign that things are going a little sloooooooooow. Oh well... As my dear old Dad used to say "it keeps me out of the pool halls."

[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Outstanding as usual, Andy. I also love watching these things grow. There's dang much detail to see.
    QUOTE QUOTE #31