Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 05-06-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I was going to save this kit for a bit later in the year after I finished my deuce police car but since I've got to wait for paint to fully cure 1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale and adhesive to set completely, I decided to give it a shot now. In other words, I couldn't keep my hands off of it. I bought this kit made by AMT 1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale from one of our new members, RonOC who by the way deserves some good trader kudos. Thanks Ron. I don't know the exact vintage of the kit but I think it's one of the best ones that came out of AMT 1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale . You don't often see kits like this in large scale outside of the Pocher line with this much potential for detail. Here are a few pics of the engine that I've started to detail up. All the plumbing 1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale done so far is mine.

Build Photos

1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale-dsc09829-jpg  1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale-dsc09830-jpg  1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale-dsc09837-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    You've got some great kits there, Rick. Check out Mario's thread on the 1/8 Heller Citroen. There's more extra detail there than I've seen on many a kit. It's an absolute masterpiece and a fantastic "go by" guide. The engine could be a stand alone kit all by itself and the suspension is first rate all the way.
    Thanks for the tip, and yes already read every post this guy has on the Forum. He is a Master Craftsman. I bought this kit back in 1977/78 when I returned to Germany for the second time. I had built a few Pochers by this time and thought this would be a cake walk after the Pochers. Was I ever in for a surprise. I worked and worked on this kit and never did, I am sad to say finish it. But I did gain alot of insight as to how this model was assembled. I became a big fan of Heller kits, you do truly build them, no matter the subject. Anywho, I would purchase again from Squadron 1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale in early 2000, built the engine and sold to get some parts for a Pocher project, 2nd one not finished. Purchased again 2005, Squadron 1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale , they seem to be the only game in town for imports. sold it un-built. Now 4th time purchasing and will not, repeat sell. I intend to add to my case as a built auto. Oh yea, every time I re-buy one of these the price goes up, as luck has it Squadron 1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale just reduced the price now that I bought it from them for almost $200.00 w/ship. Moral of story, keep what you have, put away if you get tired of it, and I can promise, you will return to play with again if you still have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!T:u*****
    QUOTE QUOTE #77

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks for the kind words, Rick. The top is actually easier than it looks. It's just tedious and fiddly. You'll see what I mean when I get the tutorial out. One thing I try to do with the various techniques is demystify them, taking out the unknown. Many of the best results are really much more simple than you realize. It's like a magician sawing a lady in half. Once you know how it's done, it's not a trick anymore.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #78

3. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    the real trick is putt'in her back together again
    QUOTE QUOTE #79

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It definitely takes a lot of sutures.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #80

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The top now is about 90% complete. There is still some fitting that needs to be done but it needs to be done with the body painted, the windshield frame cemented in place, and the side windows rolled all the way up. Then the finishing strips can be added in the right places. It's part of the planning so I don't have to rip the top apart again. If you look at the back windows, you can see the interior material which is some of that fake suede wrapped around some 1mm thick foam. The extra tension of the smaller hole will help to hold the window in place so I don't have to mess with any glue. After the top is finally fitted, then the backlight finishing strips can go in as well as a chromed frame. The less the top is handled after the windows go in the better. BTW, the oops part is just a loose strip. That will be glued back in place. I decided not to use real glass for the windows. When you cut glass, no matter how careful you are, you have teeny glass shards all over the place. Then you have to grind the glass completely to shape with diamond burs and that's when you really have more microscopic shards. My cat plays in the basement also and I don't want him to have glassy feet.

Also shown are the side grills that sit around the supercharger side pipes. The top one is from the kit, the bottom one is scratchbuilt out of .005" polished tin and the center is K&S 1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale brass mesh. The kit parts are so thick, they're terrible and they just add to the toylike appearance. I used the kit part for size and then did all the metal work like Ken has shown us. Again, it's not difficult be just time consuming.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale-dsc00020-jpg  1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale-dsc00011a-jpg  1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale-dsc00036-jpg  1937 Cord 812 in 1/12 scale-dsc00033-jpg 
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 08-12-09 at 08:51 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #81

6. Buildlarge's Avatar Established Member
    I'll go ahead and place my order now for a set of the hood cooling vents. I was playing with the same idea, but having them PE in nickle, but I like your just fine. I look everyday for a post now. You are really bringing out the best in this kit.T:u*****
    QUOTE QUOTE #82

7. Very neat Jeff - I like those vents a lot. They'll really add to the outward appearance of the car.

Martin
    QUOTE QUOTE #83

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Martin. The stock parts just destroyed the appearance and it would take a lot more work to get the kit parts right than to build something from scratch.
    QUOTE QUOTE #84

9. patpong's Avatar Member
    Name
    patpong
    love this
    QUOTE QUOTE #85

10. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Very nice work, I remember cruising around in one of these with my granddad when I was very young, he said it was the best car every built but then he saw an E-type and the Cord vanished from family history!
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #86