Close

Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 98 99 100 101 102 103
Results 1,531 to 1,536 of 1536
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (24 votes - 4.71 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-15-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This build will be intended to aquaint those interested in working with brass. I will also keep it simple so as no sophisticated equipment is required. Everything will be hand built with hand tools. So of course if you have equipment you can build quicker. This will be a 1/8th scale Model T racer when completed. I have a picture posted in another thread. And I will find tune as I post.

Here is getting started by cutting out the profile of the side rails. You need real good light to cut down the scribe line. Once cut out the side rail may have some curl from cutting, very carefully with just your fingers form it back to flat slowly and carefully. The rails were layed out on 1" x 12" x.016" brass sheet. The angles were 3/16" x 36" x.016". When all soldered together the side walls will be 1/32" thick with the return flanges being .016. Working with brass is like playing chess; you have to plan ahead right down to buying your materials. Build the part in you head first step by step, then buy what you need, materials, tools etc.

Here is soldering the side rails to top angles. The secret to soldering is letting your iron get real hot Article: 1/8th Scale Model T Racer Build Journal , touch it to the solder end to gather a puddle on the iron and then to the joint. Remember solder will always flow to heat and since it is liquid is subject to the laws of gravity.
      I apply the liquid flux with a paint brush to the entire joint before soldering. The tempurature is correct when the solder flows freely into the joint. The spring clamps also provide handles to hold the piece while soldering.

Here is a closeup of the above picture.

Here is a shot of adding the rail extension since stock sheet was too short. Needed another 11/16". Once finished up the joint is barely visible and I put this to the rear of the chassis where it will be less obvious anyway.

Here is how to file the bottom angle to fit the side rail. Double sided carpet tape works great to hold small pieces. I would recommend buying a steel block if you do not have one. I think MicroMark offers one. Also handy to hammer some parts back to flat. Be careful to slowly remove the part from the tape so as not to bend or distort the piece. The tape adhesive works well in holding it in place.

Here is the bottom angle cut and filed to fit. Working with brass requires patience and a good assortment of files.

Here is how to remove excess solder. Scrape Article: 1/8th Scale Model T Racer Build Journal , file, sand Article: 1/8th Scale Model T Racer Build Journal and polish. Note: Blades are stamped out as a result one edge is rounded down while the other has a sharp edge. Use the sharp edge to scrape Article: 1/8th Scale Model T Racer Build Journal . You can easilly tell the difference when you try to scrape Article: 1/8th Scale Model T Racer Build Journal .

Here is the finished left rail.

Now to finish up the right side. Then the next installment will be the crossmenbers.
      Please feel free to post questions, and there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Ken

Article: 1/8th Scale Model T Racer Build Journal

Build Photos

Article: 1/8th Scale Model T Racer Build Journal-modelt-gif 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Just FYI for those who live in the San Diego area, I have been invited to talk at this conference about "Model Building with Brass" and will have the Model T model as well as a couple of others there on display at a table and will have a few books for sale which I will sign when purchased.

Looks to be a great venue and I look forward to seeing any that can make it there.

Have a great day!

Here is a link to the conference information.

http://www.thenrg.org/nrg-2016-annua...-san-diego.php

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #1532

2. RobertL's Avatar Member
    Name
    Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    38? I hope you're paper trained!
    I'll be 62 and retiring in August.......I still have a lot to learn and the last time my wife held me up to the light she said "Yeah, you still have a few good years left in your wrinkled old ".

I'm thinking Syd is our oldest member........and it's not slowing him down much.
    I've been going thru this thread completely awed and depressed that I don't have the ability to do what is done here. I am, however, still modeling at 84 and have been contemplating some sort of scratch build Article: 1/8th Scale Model T Racer Build Journal though haven't progressed to the point I know what project I want to attempt.

Certainly there must be other modelers older than I.

Robert
    Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
    QUOTE QUOTE #1533

3. jonsen's Avatar Member
    Name
    andy
    great plans
    QUOTE QUOTE #1534

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Thanks I hope you enjoyed and learned something. Have a great day! Ken

"In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #1535

5. jaxenro's Avatar Member
    Name
    Joel
    Just an amazing build I am awed. I ordered your book not sure I will attempt something like this but I would like to just read and savor it.

Question I thought I was somewhere in there you mentioned the tires were most likely for board tracks. I am fascinated by board track racers and board tracks especially the Playa del Rey ("The Fastest Track in the World") which was a 1 mile banked oval for autos and motorcycles from 1910 to 1913. Do you know where this car was raced at?
    QUOTE QUOTE #1536

6. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Do you know where this car was raced at?
    Not sure where it was raced at. The original is in the Ford Museum, Detroit and a replica is in the Gilmore Museum in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Perhaps if you contact them they may be able to help.

Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #1537