Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-14-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I think I decided on the Fiat F2 for my first kit. I have been watching ebay and I have seen 3 different versions of this. There is the one in the white box that has yellow spoked wheels, the one in a red box, also with yellow spoked wheels and one in a black box that has the Fiat oval in blue on the top right corner, this one has redish spoked wheels. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the three different versions? I like the look of the redish spoke wheels. I have also seen a thread on here that had someone do a F2 kit. His engine had what seemed like alot more brass than these kits had. Does anyone offer aftermarket pieces for the F2 kit, like for the engine, the seat covers and floor? I really appreciate this website, I am learning so much and hope to pick many brains in the years to come, as long as people will allow it anyway. One more thing, should I paint this kit, or leave it as it comes? Thanks again
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Go with your gut. As you've already read here, whatever Pocher kit you decide on will be an enjoyable experience. Just make sure you are buying from a trusted seller and don't buy anything thats missing pieces. Once you get the kit to your bench, build it on site and you'll get a ton of help from the rest of us.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. little gü's Avatar Active Member
    Hi chevyrsss
    Check out ebay, scaledetails is offering an brass upgrade kit for the Fiat engine.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    There is only one big difference between the kits. K88- the kit with the red wheels- comes with a jig to help put the chain together, without which it is very hard. So usually K88 sells for a little more than the other yellow-wheeled kits.

Good luck
    Mouppe.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    K88 would be my choice also. Besides you also get the spare tires. Personally I would paint it but that's up to you. If you want ideal on how it would look try searching the Fiat gallery here on site.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. chevyrsss's Avatar Active Member
    Does the one with red wheels have more parts? I just read that it had more brass parts than the one with the yellow wheels.

Kit for the Fiat F2
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Yes there's more parts on the K88 (red) kit. I have the manuals for both but just realized I haven't added them to the manuals page yet. Ill try and get those up asap.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    K88 indeed gives you some extra parts, that have been discussed.

Some things that could be improved:

use very thin wood on the floor, instead of the simulated wood grain.
    buy the brass upgrade kit, with gear lever, sprockets and the like. (Dan, do you produce it?)
    paint the kit. Although the plastic is dense pigmented, painting gives it an extra touch.

Pochers are great for super detailing, many small improvements can be made very simple, with some pieces of wire or any other simple material.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. chevyrsss's Avatar Active Member
    Does anyone know where I can get a K88 at a reasonable price? There are K - 70's on Ebay but I cannot find any K88's.;';;';

Kit for the Fiat F2
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. chevyrsss's Avatar Active Member
    Also, I see that there are 2 different K70 racers. There is the one in the white box and one in a yellow box. Does anyone know the diffence?

Kit for the Fiat F2
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Here's a K88 Sealed Ebay item # 170292881123
    The yellow box is the really old Pocher kit. Ive never actually had one so I cant comment but I do have other very early kits and usually the quality isn't that great. Your buying its rarity. That's my opinion anyways.
    The white box Fiat is a great kit, its usually cheaper and the quality is fair.

But the K88 is the one most people want do to the slightly better quality and extra goodies.
    Last edited by ScaleMotorcars; 01-14-09 at 09:57 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. chevyrsss's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks. I found that one on Ebay in Italy. I am not sure if he will ship to the US. I am waiting to hear. Thanks for the info. I will have to keep looking as I really like the K88.

Kit for the Fiat F2
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. FlaminiaSuperSport's Avatar Active Member
    It's a bit strange that all the 3 FIAT kits are reproducing the F-2 FIAT which Nazzaro raced to 1st place in the French GP of 1907, but they're all 3 different!

The seats are correct on the 1st issue, the spare tires are (more or less) correct on the latest issue (K88) etc...

I think POCHER made a first attempt at reproducing the original F-2 car (first 2 kits) and then decided to make a copy of the FIAT F-2 that is exposed in a museum in Italy/ Problem is that this car (the sole survivor of the 3 I guess) has been extensively modified over the years.

Normally the "real" F-2 was completely red (radiator, cowl etc) and had greyish tires with 3 spares at the back. The front and rear wheels had different sizes (hence the 3 spares - 2 + 1) and the mud skirts on the sides were made of leather. The exhaust was completely different too, much bigger and shorter than on the exposed (and copied) model. The radiator was light coloured and the F-2 was black... just the opposite from what's in the kit. The aluminium coloured cowl should be red too...

If I can buy a decently priced first issue Pocher Fiat, I'll transform it completely to get as close to the F-2 of 1907 as possible.

Now I have the K88 built and painted "out of the box" with a little extra goodies (oil a fuel lines, rivets, bolts...). Recently I painted the brass rods in red... it makes a world of difference! Next step is to wrap the leafsprings in white cord and to weather the exhaust. I also read somewhere that the rear leafsprings should be inversed, taht is the rear part should be below the frame and not above it as mentionned in the instructions. A simple job to do!

Anybody ever tried to paint the tires white or light grey? I'm afraid to ruin the tires if sthg goes wrong. I can try on a spare before, but wht paint should I use? I dont have an airbrush Kit for the Fiat F2 , I do everything with a pencil!
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks for the great info Flaminia. As far as tire paint goes, I think someone was talking about some paint that did have a bit of stretch in it. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand but it was made for RC applications. Hopefully, this thread will jog a memory and someone can recommend a good paint. They did say that acrylic Kit for the Fiat F2 paint would tend to crack too much. I would think something like a latex would work but I would have to brush it on which may leave too many marks.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks Flaminia, great info on the Fiat. I would like to ask you if you ever found detailed photos of the motor. As we all know there's a few parts missing and the plumbing Kit for the Fiat F2 from the kit is all wrong.

As for the tires a latex should be fine. Ive never tried to to do a light gray on a tire and Im wondering if recasting them would be better. Anyone know of a light gray RTV Kit for the Fiat F2 ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #15