Close

Thread: Alfa Engine

Builder Last Online: Mar 2015 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-27-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

A couple of months ago I have bought my first Pocher kit, a Alfa Romeo spider grand touring. I have been told that this model is one of the better ones to start with. The previous owner started with the engine and didn't do a very good job with it. Partly painted, not sanded, really a bit of a mess. A lot of the engine parts are also broken. Surfing on the web, I have found that there are 2 engine replacement options. A partly metal version and a plastic version of model motorcars Alfa Engine (are there any other out there?). The later one looks very good but I have been told you can not fit the pistons in it. I really would like a engine with working pistons so what is the best choice? I'm not sure I can recover/restore the engine from the previous owner + I will need to get some spare parts. All advice will be greatly appreciated. I hope to start building this kit in the spring as I'm now trying to finish the RIVA boat of Amati.

PS best wishes for 2009
      PS my girlfriend gave me a big surprise with xmas, her dad bought a pocher Bugatti T50 20+ years ago and never built it. It is now mine. It even includes the gear and differential.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Hi Barend,

If you want a "working" engine you better can replace it with one of Pocher. These are often for sale on the European Ebay sites ( especially Germany) I am going to replace mine with the MMC one ..beautiful engine ....but not working.

groet

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    One thing I can tell you: Stick to that girlfriend!

Finding replacements for broken Pocher parts is difficult. Pocher did not release the Alfa Engine as a seperate kit. So sourcing parts basicly means kit-bashing another kit.

I will tell you what to do:

-leave the search for the parts. Of course, keep an eye out for them, but do not overdo it.
    -after the Riva Aquarama, build the Bugatti
    -after the Bugatti, build the Alfa, and super detail it.

Reasons why?
    -The Pocher Bugatti is, although more parts and more working features, an easier kit to do it right in 1 shot. Most parts actually fit, or need only minimal tweaking. The Alfa is different, in that respect...
    -Superdetailing the Alfa engine renders the cilinder-head non-removable. So working pistons are not important anymore... Besides that, you always have the Bugatti then to enjoy working internals.

If you need any reference material, please let me know. I have some stuff for the Bugatti type 50.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. barend's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks for the advise guys. I was thinking with starting the Alfa to built up some experience as I prefer the looks of the Bugatti slightly over the Alfa spider. But you guys have me doubting now... . Herman, when finished with the RIVA, I will hold you up for the offer of the reference material.
    I checked all the parts based upon the beautiful instruction DVD's of Paul Koo and all the parts for the Bugatti are there. Maybe I'll keep a diary on here when building it but I'm a bit intimidated by some of the other works here on this site (especially of Mario Lucchini).

Best building wishes for 2009

Barend

Alfa Engine
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by barend View Post
    Thanks for the advise guys. I was thinking with starting the Alfa to built up some experience as I prefer the looks of the Bugatti slightly over the Alfa spider. But you guys have me doubting now... . Herman, when finished with the RIVA, I will hold you up for the offer of the reference material.
    I checked all the parts based upon the beautiful instruction DVD's of Paul Koo and all the parts for the Bugatti are there. Maybe I'll keep a diary on here when building it but I'm a bit intimidated by some of the other works here on this site (especially of Mario Lucchini).

Best building wishes for 2009

Barend

Hey Barend!
    Please don't be intimidated.....just ask for help or support, we all here would be more than glad to do just that!!...

Go for it!

Mario
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Barend,
    I had a blast doing the Bugatti 50T engine!
    I used Paul Koo's CD for reference also.

Here are some references:
    http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...ft-covers.html

I screwed up by glueing up the intake system before I had drilled it out for adding linkage.
    Build and learn I guess. Fitment on the 50T is better than other Pocher assemblies I've had experiance with. Take your time!

It is a very satisfying kit to build.

I have spent the past 2 months working on the Revell Alfa Engine 1:6 Dodge 426 street hemi.
    Enjoying the challenges of building carbs out of plastic shells.
    Attached Images Attached Images Alfa Engine-img_0084-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6