Close

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-10-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here are some early progress shots of my current project. All the typical Pocher bugaboos apply...screw holes all too small, friction-fit parts fit is too tight, etc. But given the incredible complexity of the engine and chassis, all in all the pieces go together very well. The only major misalignment I've run into is that the lower arm of the accelerator Rolls Phantom II Sedanca pedal linkage doesn't line up with its connection point (the threaded rod on the transmission)...it's too long by about 1/8". Just enough so that it doesn't fit. I simply clipped off the linkage arm right where it hits the threaded rod. Nobody will ever know the difference...

Anyhow, in particular order, here's where I am. Still need some fuel lines added between engine and firewall, need to install the gas tank, fan, radiator, etc.

A shot of the brake linkage on the left side of the trans:

Pedals, brake lever and shifter:

The carb is too big, and mounts too high on the intake side of the engine. There's not much I could do about the overscale size, but I did lower it to a more prototypical position. Of course, lowering the carb meant interference with the steering box (!), so I had to notch the frame rail a bit to move the box away from the carb. That didn't provide enough clearance so I also had to grind down the back side of the steering box and the lower front of the carb. It's a VERY tight fit...but I did manage to get everything to go where it's suposed to go:

Left side of engine. You can barely make out my scratchbuilt fuel filter mounted on the firewall:

A shot of the rear brake linkage assembly:

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Oh My!!! Harry, thats beautiful. Please, keep the photo's and chatter going.

How long have you been building this project? I've been looking through my Pocher Bugatti kit and I can see its going to be time consuming.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    I usually don't build "straight through"....I grab a couple of hours here and there when I can. But I'd guess it's taken me well over 100 hours to get to this point.

One of the major slowdowns of this kit is the complexity of the chassis...especially the brake system, with [B]dozens and dozens [/B]of rods, levers, clevises, etc. The kit parts for the system are either brass (rods) or nickel plated Rolls Phantom II Sedanca steel (levers, linkage arms and clevises). According to all my research photos, a real RR chassis of the era (and most all the components attached to it, including the brake components) was painted body color, so that meant priming and painting all those little metal pieces INDIVIDUALLY and then assembling things. There's no way to pre-assemble the braking system and paint it as a unit...it would be a mess (and I don't think it could even be done, as connections have to be made to various assemblies as you progress). MAJOR time consumer...

And as far as keeping the chatter going...

Hey, batter, batter, batter...

Rolls Phantom II Sedanca
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. mouppe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Phenomenal !!! And the paintjob is exquisite.

Mouppe.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Thats beautiful but I noticed your not using the SMC decals.

Ya shameless plug. Forgive me...

No really its looking great. Please keep the pics coming.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    One more thing buddy. I noticed your using Photobucket for the pics. If your account is private then PB sometimes locks out the hyperlinks after a certain amount of time. To be safe if might be a good ideal to post pics in the SMC gallery and then hyper link those to your posts. Thats a guaranteed way to make sure we don't lose them. Just a suggestion.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    I've been using Photobucket for years...none of my posted pix here or elsewhere have disappeared yet...

Rolls Phantom II Sedanca
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMotorcars View Post
    Thats beautiful but I noticed your not using the SMC decals.

Ya shameless plug. Forgive me...
    Nah, the Pocher stickers look mighty good to my eye.

But I'm going with the full wheel discs (no way I'm building those spoked wheels one spoke at a time again...I had enough of that on my Alfa!)...so I might be needing a set of those wheel disk decals. Too bad you don't have a set to match the color I need...I might have to go with black???

Rolls Phantom II Sedanca
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by harrypri View Post
    I've been using Photobucket for years...none of my posted pix here or elsewhere have disappeared yet...
    Hey Harry....can you post ALL of your pics here?...that would be a big thing

Thanks

Mario
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    If you send me a paint chip I can make a custom set of decals for you.

And FYI the wheels still need to be built unless your making a custom hub. Shouldn't be hard to do but its going to show from the back of the wheel.

Ive got an account with them but havent used it. I just remember all the Fotki red X's last year and I thought Photobucket did the same. So if it works then cool. Thanks for sharing...
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Unbelievable work, Harry. I love the color and the finish is gorgeous. I'm glad to see someone building one of these monsters. I just wish It could have ben less complicated for you. Still, I know you're up to the challenge.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Fotki is goofy...they're the site where your images disappear after a while. No such issues with Photobucket. Actually, given all the advantages Photobucket has over Fotki, why does anyone even use Fotki???

Regarding the wheels...no, I don't need to build the spokes. Using the combination of brake drum, spindle and wheel disk (plus a little scratchbuilding ingenuity), I've come up with a way to build the wheels without using the spokes. And the brake drums fill the "hole" from the backside, so the spokes (or lack of them!) aren't visible at all.

Last but not least...are you serious about color matching the wheel disk decals???

Rolls Phantom II Sedanca
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Firecaptain's Avatar Active Member
    Harry,
    Great work, beautiful...........with the frame painted that color, will that be the body color as well?

Seems that I read that the frames and running gear from the factory were actually black (?) how BORING!

The frame and all the junk hung off of them including the engine and contrasting nuts and bolts are really works of beauty in itself......makes one want to build one without the body as a companion to one built up complete doesn't it?

Did you use the screws on the engine, tranny, and rear axle to actually hold them together, go the route of gluing Rolls Phantom II Sedanca them together and adding the screws for looks, or puttying the screw holes up and saving the screws for spares down the road?

Could you supply a couple close-up pics of both sides of the engine?

Thanks
    Last edited by Firecaptain; 04-10-08 at 01:18 PM.
    Joe
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Body color will be the same red on the fenders, ivory body up to the beltline, red again on the top of the hood and above the beltline, and black ("leather") trunk.

Since RRs were basically "built to order", my "customer" specified this color. (Actually I have photos of some Phantoms with red, green, and other color chassis...colors that match the main body color.

I used screws in some cases, but there are many instances where it's easier to just glue things together, which I did. And in some cases, screws used on the kit in certain areas wouldn't be used the same way on the real car, so I filled those screw holes and used glue. Depending on the specific connection, I either used the kit screws, glued the pieces, or both. So since I didn't use all the screws (and didn't use all the screws on my Alfa and Fiat), I'm building up quite a nice collection of hardware!

Rolls Phantom II Sedanca
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Firecaptain's Avatar Active Member
    Harry,
    Forgot to ask, is that rattle can paint or airbrushed?

Thanks
    Joe
    QUOTE QUOTE #15