Close

Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-23-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello everybody,
      I am starting the K91 build and doing all the prep work for assembly. I just saw CTDavies' post on the K74 and there are lots o grat ideas there. I am doing now all the sanding Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz , part fitting, filling holes (plastic shrinkage) etc. I have built a 1931 Alfa Romeo 2300C Monza and want to really give the Merc my best. I am having a problem with paint choice. My original idea was to use Tamiya Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz lacquer Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz spray paint (TS83 for the body) but you can't find Tamiya Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz primer Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz anywhere. A local hobby shop has been trying to get it for the last 2 months and have no idea if they are going to get it.
      I read about the use of automotive paints and primers. I would like to use rattle cans do this painting job. I am thinking of metallic Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz silver and would like to get the "liquid metal" look of the CLK GTR.
      My dilemma is what type of paint and primer Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz to use.
      I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and tips for this paint job.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hi Hermilio,

you can get Tamiya Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz primers on a well known internet auction house. Mercedes Benz was one of the first to offer metallic Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz laquer in the thirties. To get the metallic Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz shine in those days, they used milled fish scales, which caused a kind of trouble while reacting chemical with the nitro-celloulose paint. So by the way Goering`s 540 K "Blue Goose" went back to the factory to recieve a new paintjob, after it's metallic Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz -blue had turned dull.

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    This is the same kit that I inheritted from my grandfather. I want to build it but have not as yet gotten the nerve to even open the box. One day I will and perhaps your thread here will help to encourage me.

Please keep us posted on your progress. We would all love to see pics I am sure.

On a lighter note...

A guy goes to see his shrink, he is dressed in a flamboyant dress with a hat covered with fruit. He spends his entire session dancing around and singing. Then he leaves like any other session.

The next week he shows up dressed in an SS officers uniform, spends his entire session marching back and forth behind the couch barking orders. When his session is done he leaves like any other session.

The next week he shows up in his normal business suit, sits on the couch like nothing strange ever happened and his shrink explains the past two sessions to him.

The guys response? Wow, I must have been really messed up for a couple of weeks. I didn't even know if I was Carmen or Goering!

So Sorry, I HAD to put that in here! LOL

Have a great time building your 540K!
    Last edited by spinellid82; 06-24-11 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    I am finally able to post some of the pictures of this build.
    The engine came partially assembled, quite poorly, so I took it apart, and after a lot of sanding Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz and filing, I started test fitting everything.
    Things looked good, so I primed all the engine parts. I decided to go with Duplicolor lacquer Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz paint and sandable primer Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz .
    The supercharger clutch cover is poorly molded, so I used a 3/32" copper tubing cut to fit the enlarged hole, and tapped it to 2.0 mm-0.4.
    The screw holding the supercharger linkage fits nicely and securely.
    Here are some of the primed parts.
    Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-018-jpg Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-019-jpg Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-020-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-022-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    I painted the engine block semi gloss black, cylinder head and and valve cover silver charcoal metalic, and also the oil pan and air filter.
    oil pan. The K91 kit lacks the supercharger linkage, all the links (bought a photo etched kit), valve springs (ball point pen springs work well), and some additional links not part of the photo etched kit. I used aluminum thin sheet to make the extra links.
    Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-041-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-057-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-068-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-065-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-078-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-080-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-086-jpg
    The exhaust manifold was brush painted using Testor's "steel" paint.
    The gearbox was also sanded, test fitted, assembled and painted. I didn't like the brake, accelerator Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz and clutch rods, so I built them using brass wire, threaded both ends to accept 2.0 mm nuts. They were formed around a small medicine plastic bottle.
    The small pulley for the parking brake was made using a 1/4" aluminum cable end. I fit it to a drill, and used a Dremel Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz cutting disk to turn the groove and cut off thr pulley. One cable end gave me two pulleys.
    The K91 kit doesn't have the spark plug wire loom tube. I used 3/16" polished aluminum tubing, drilled as shown to make one. The little brackets were made using aluminum sheet. You can do almost everything with Dremel Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz !

All the hose clamps were made using coffee can vacuum sealing aluminum foil. You cut and glue them o the hoses ( I re-drilled the holes in all hoses, to fit the pipes without bulging.)

My next post will cover the frame (what a nightmare!!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-079-jpg  Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-040-jpg  Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-036-jpg  Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-035-jpg  Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-038-jpg  Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-042-jpg  Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-044-jpg 
    Last edited by hmaia; 08-04-11 at 02:32 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hi Hmaia,

welcome to the show. Pretty well built engine so far. Just for information, it's a 500 K Type M 24 I you`re building.Can see that by inlet over exhaust. 540 K's M24 II engine had exhaust over inlet, and fuel pump was located on the right side, other details were improved as well. But doesn't matter anyway, you've done a fine job and good luck for further building process. Will watch it closely.

Cheers
    Michael
    Last edited by 3.Star; 08-04-11 at 07:20 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Hmaia,

A great looking engine!

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    Yes, great looking engine so far. We can't have enough Pocher builds here. I certainly have a K91 on my to do list, so I will be following this build very closely. The K91 style body was also used on the 500K, so I'd just tell everyone this is going to be a 500.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    Thanks for the comments, they are very encouraging. I haven't really researched the history of these cars, but I will now take some time to do so.
    I have followed CTDavies posts closely, and they are a great tutorial, thanks for sharing so many good ideas.

This is my second Pocher build, and I hope to do more. One great thing about these kits is that, if you are not patient, they'll teach you to become so.

I am a mechanical engineer, now retired after 30+ years in the job and currently teaching math at a community college, and this hobby keeps me relaxed and my hands steady.

I am fanatic about car races, having read about, watched and followed F1 and prototype racing since my teens. I still find time for sim racing (good for your reflexes.)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. spinellid82's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    David
    Very nicely done Hmaia! Am I correct in assuming this is your first Pocher build? If so, thank you very much for helping to encourage me to at least open mine and look inside! I am not afraid of many things in life, mom, nuclear weapons and Posher kits complete the list, LOL.
    USMC, Retired

Evil prevails when good men stand idle.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    Hi David,
    This is my second, but this time I decided to to justice to the kit; do lot of prep work, and add as many details as possible'
    The first one, a 1931 Alfa Romeo 2300C Monza wasn't fully detailed, I only painted the body. The hardest parts of that kit were the wire wheels. It took me three hours to build each one, and yes they add a lot to the kit.

I will keep my eyes open for a K74 or k90 being sold for parts just to get the wheels, since the K91 came with the plastic (ugh0 ones. New, the Mercedes wheels are going for close to $1300!

This kit had been sitting in my office for almost two years, and I finally decided to tackle it. Once you start, it is extremely difficult to stop, you want to see the final product so badly, and is then that you need to put on the brakes and do thing the way they need to be done. It requires patience, but then you know that you have accomplished something very few people have a chance or the ability to do; build a Pocher.
    I hope you get started, and here i echo Chris, we need as many Pocher builders as possible. Each one contributes to the pool of skills we see displayed here, helping all of us to get better at this challenging hobby.
    Last edited by hmaia; 08-05-11 at 09:19 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    After a lot of work on the frame, I have it ready for assembling frame components. I straightened the metal frame, with special care given to the front suspension mount, and the rear suspension tabs. There were ugly gaps between the upper plastic rail and he metal frame. I mixed epoxi with finally ground saw dust (a small coffee grinder works well) until it had the consistency of peanut butter and filled the gaps. After drying overnight, I sanded it down, primed and then did a final cover of Testor white putty Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz . Not very happy with the putty Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz finish; it works well for plastic shrinkage, but for larger areas, even after re-working some of the gaps several times I am not absolutely satisfied. The overall corrective work is a lot better than when I first started, but I know that there is room for some improvement. (Anyone with a recommendation for a good filler?) The frame was painted "Storm gray metallic Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz ." It contrasts nicely with the silver metallic Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz I will be using for the body.
    I have also re-worked the exhaust system. It will be painted tomorrow. The fuel tank has gone through a lot of sanding Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz and filing. I will finish the work on it tonight. I have to make the fill assembly, the part is missing.
    All the suspension A-arms have had the edges rounded, primed and painted semi gloss black. The spring mounts were painted the same color as the frame.Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-089-jpg Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-088-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-090-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-091-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-092-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-093-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-094-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-095-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-096-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-097-jpg

After I make the fuel tank filler, the two halves will be glued, the gaps filled with putty Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz , sanded, primed and painted.
    Last edited by hmaia; 08-07-11 at 10:46 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hi Hermilio,

as you can see, I am watching your progress of tackeling K 91 closely. You're doing pretty well. I would rather recommend a 2 component automotive putty Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz (not shrinking, but harder to sand Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz and file) I've got a link to prototype pictures of your Benz, which I had posted already, but they vanished (still glitches on the site?)
    Here you go:RM Auctions
    To be accurate, this shown example is kind of overkilled in restoration. 500 K Benz engines never had this kind of "peacock-machining surface" Wheelhubs are painted only in the outer grooves matching the main body colour....tank filler cup has not seen any paint in Sindelfingen-factory. Dashboard switches were matching the colour of the steering wheel rim, as well as shiftknob and handbrake handle, depending of owners choice, even the bumper's rubber was the same coloured the same.
    Grooves in steering wheel spokes were painted in main body colour as well, just to mention a few.
    Enough of being the Mercedes Kompressor-eggheadGive me more of your built. I really love it.

Cheers
    Michael
    Last edited by 3.Star; 08-17-11 at 08:33 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    I installed the fuel tank, the engine and part of the front suspension. (The engine will be removed to make easier the front suspension assembly)
    I had to build an aluminum bracket for the brake master cylinder in order to add the line from the brake booster (what I believe the cylinder attached to the inner side of the frame rail is). Also connected the parking brake cable to the pulley and the brake shaft. I felt that just twisting the cable at the bracket eye wasn't very nice, so I cut two 1/8" by 1/16" OD aluminum tubing cable ends that are compressed around the cable. I think it looks better this way.

I have a final exam to apply tomorrow at the community college I work, and the I have a month-long break before the fall term, and I will be able to dedicate more time to this build
    .Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-106-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-107-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-108-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-109-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-110-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-112-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-115-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-113-jpg 
    Last edited by hmaia; 08-10-11 at 08:59 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    Some progress was made. The camber compensating springs, as noted by Chris, have uneven ends. As you install the screws, they are heavily canted. You can see in the first picture, in which I had the original spring compared with an already corrected one. I ground the ends flat and as parallel to each other as possible and added a flat washer between the spring end and the nut. The next picture show the corrected springs and the differential assembly. On a side note, I tried to install the screws as suggested by a picture in the manual to no avail, and eventually used a different approach. Using a small needle nose pair of pliers, I was able to twist the tip of the spring enough to introduce the screw into the spring, and then squeeze it closed.
    The rest of the assembly was very straightforward, and I used Loctite on both nuts at the ends of the half shafts.
    To install the inserts in the brake drums, I enlarged the holes slightly, and used a socket to support the back of the brake drum and a vise to seat the inserts. It works nicely, without any chance of cracking the drums.
    Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-120-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-121-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-126-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-128-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-131-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-132-jpg

The next pictures show the front suspension assembled. One thing I cannot stress enough is the need to carefully straighten the metal tabs that hold the front axle. Install and tighten the front spring mounts with the front axle in place until you see there aren't stresses on the front axle. Even if the axle slides freely into the openings in the metal frame, if they are not totally parallel, when you tighten the nuts holding the spring mounts, stresses may be generated in the front axle, with risk of it cracking. It is very important to verify this area if you are filling the gaps between the plastic rail and the metal frame with epoxy Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz . Any tension in the front axle will crack the filled joints.
    I had to disassemble the front suspension and recheck the mounts, and then readjusting the tabs. Also shown are details of the front muffler and mount.
    Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-116-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-117-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-119-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-pocher-118-jpg 
    Last edited by hmaia; 08-16-11 at 10:33 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15