Close

Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz
Accepted Payment Types

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-23-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello everybody,
      I am starting the K91 build and doing all the prep work for assembly. I just saw CTDavies' post on the K74 and there are lots o grat ideas there. I am doing now all the sanding Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz , part fitting, filling holes (plastic shrinkage) etc. I have built a 1931 Alfa Romeo 2300C Monza and want to really give the Merc my best. I am having a problem with paint choice. My original idea was to use Tamiya Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz lacquer Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz spray paint (TS83 for the body) but you can't find Tamiya Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz primer Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz anywhere. A local hobby shop has been trying to get it for the last 2 months and have no idea if they are going to get it.
      I read about the use of automotive paints and primers. I would like to use rattle cans do this painting job. I am thinking of metallic Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz silver and would like to get the "liquid metal" look of the CLK GTR.
      My dilemma is what type of paint and primer Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz to use.
      I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and tips for this paint job.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    I did the whole seat again. After seeing Roger' s work, you will never be totally satisfied with your own. Still a lot to learn, but you only learn by doing it.
    I followed xken's advice and heated the vinyl, it worked a lot easier; thanks for the tip. I believe the upholstery is most challenging part of this build. I will work on making the soft top and doors next, then the dash.

Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5442-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5447-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5488-jpg
    Last edited by hmaia; 01-11-14 at 10:35 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

2. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    Hello everybody,

I am back, (a little more free time and Christmas break) and I have a finished project. The upholstery and interior are the most challenging part and time consuming part of the build. For the top I shaped styrofoam, glued it to the body using automotive goop and then glued the vinyl top. After everything dried, I installed the piping Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz .Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5473-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5472-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5488-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5492-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5489-jpg
    One thought about the doors. Before painting, install the hinges, then mount the doors to the body and do the best fitting possible. You can mask the hinges easily before painting. The doors, as they come have a very poor fit. To cover the doors, I glued a layer of vinyl with backing to the inner panel, then a second layer with a cutout for the door pocket was glued to the first, after attaching the inner panel with the screws. I ground about one millimeter off the screws and used the melt process to attach them, with a final tightening using a screwdriver. The door pocket was then glued to the first layer and pipping was added. Be patient if you want a decent result.
    Last edited by hmaia; 01-12-14 at 12:32 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #48

3. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    Hello friends,

The final details require a lot of patience and the ablity to improvise. The hood latches are a pain to install because you have to be careful not to scratch the paint. Make sure you do it before mounting the fenders to the body. Before installing the body to the frame install the spare tire rod. I forgot that detail and had to remove the fuel tank and exhaust pipes. Not a big deal but you sure feel dumb! You will realize that there is a large gap, maybe 1/4" between the headlight support and one of the fenders, after you mount the support to one of the fenders. Make sure you cover the other fender with a piece of cloth, otherwise the tip of the support will scratch the fender. I covered the front end with a soft cloth and used a large plastic clamp (thanks Harbor Freight) and slowly closed the gap and installed the last screw. I used a Dremel Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz cutting wheel to remove the chromed parts from the tray, since they are very fragile. The taillights were painted with clear Tamiya Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz red and were then clear coated. They look very realistic.
    The front bumper is a real pain to install. After a fight that lasted half an hour, I had to cut a small slot on each bumper mount, then added the screws and nuts to the bumper and slid the screws into the slots before tightening them. There is almost no clearance there. I tried to apply chromed trim to the fenders and ended giving it up. The curvature of the fender is very hard to follow, and I had to repaint the fenders after trying. I like the way it looks, less garish. I had heard horror stories about the windshield frame. It was very easy to mount and fit the body very precisely. After installing the windshield to the metal frame, I covered it with a tissue held in place by blue masking Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz tape. This was removed after the metal frame was mounted to the body. I used Dupli-Color perfect match silver metallic Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz spray paint ( three light applications until the body was well covered) on top of scratch filling Dupli-Color primer Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz . I will wait until the summer, when the paint will be totally cured before I apply clear coat Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz . As you can see, I didn't install the windshield wipers that came with the kit. They are terrible. I am ordering a set from Modelmotorcars Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz
    .Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5497-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5493-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5494-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5495-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5496-jpg
    Last edited by hmaia; 01-18-14 at 11:35 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #49

4. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    In closing, I have to say that putting this kit together gave me a great deal of satisfaction even if I didn't reach the level of quality I desired. This is my second Pocher build and I feel that I should go back and rework the Alfa Romeo. I did learn a lot during the build and more and more my mind is drifting towards scratch build Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz . I know there is a wealth of information I want to read, some incredible books I will be ordering, and then I will decide. The challenges are big, but I believe the sense of achievement after you complete a project will be greater still.
    My final pictures. The first one I really like.Building the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5471-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5478-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5486-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5481-jpgBuilding the 1934 540K Mercedes Benz-img_5499-jpg

Oh boy, I really need to reinforce that middle shelf!!

One final thought. Finding this site was a real blessing. The encouragement and support you receive here is overwhelming. Earning words of praise and support from people I consider as masters of the trade was very humbling.
    Last edited by hmaia; 01-12-14 at 12:01 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #50

5. superfly's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Renato
    Gosh!..This car is so beautiful!...I wish I was able to get this kit!
    QUOTE QUOTE #51

6. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Hermillio, great job you did on the car ....it is not one of the easiest !
    Regards

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #52

7. hmaia's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Hermilio
    Thanks, Ton,

It is really taxing, but fun to do.
    Have a great week,
    Hermilio
    QUOTE QUOTE #53