Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1/8 Citroen 7

Builder Last Online: Jun 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-18-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Good morning!
      Some beautiful paintings which depicts the "Traction Avant" story...

Mario

Build Photos

1/8 Citroen 7-page-2010-bmp  1/8 Citroen 7-page-2011-bmp 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    As usual we eagerly await with baited breath to see what extreme you'll take the superdetailing,
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I like the roadster versions the best.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Jeff....I've got to say, at times it's downright scary how we seem to keep following the same avenues, Mario has been rattling my cage to build a "Citroen" along with his to show two different approaches to the same car. His is going to be stone stock and period correct. If I was to do one it would be the 2-dr. rag top.
    Well, I'm not going to build one but it would be a perfect project for you. You have acquired the skills to modify the body and there will no doubt be all the info you could possibly need presented in this thread. All the research that has been done will be available to you members. So if you would like to push back or box up all the projects you have going to come back to them at a later date, grab a kit and a clean work surface, clear your mind and and take a walk with us...it's going to be a genuine learning experience. Here's your chance to build a museum quality classic without all the homework. It would give you a chance to sharpen your skills for the next one. Yes folks there is another build coming hot 1/8 Citroen 7 on the heels of this one. I have some things and artwork for Dan that I have to finish but I will be devoting all my modeling time to it. All I'm going to say right now is it will be 100% scratch built 1/8 Citroen 7 . Mario will be building various parts of it while I do others...Pashaw you say... how could you possibly get everything to fit together during final assembly...no worries. It will all be backed up with scale cad drawings and precise measurements available to all of you members.
    Finally.....kit free! By the way, 1/6th scale. If you just can't take the suspense email me.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Great points, Don. I'm going to hold off on that kind of kit for a short while. I went yesterday and bought myself a lathe and spent a bunch of sheckels on it. Now don't get too excited because it's a mini wood carving lathe. I'll be able to make larger items like tires and wheels in bigger scales and still have the fun of materials turning. I can still make almost all of the shapes I need but I want to keep the hand work very strong. It wasn't done to save the money and go cheaper, it just is a fun thing to do and another technique to add to the mix.

Believe me, the fully scratchbuilt Caddy is still on the agenda. That's going to be fully superdetailed, it'll have a good number of working features and it will be in 1/6 not 1/8 scale. All I'll need to do is watch how Mario does the Citroen and follow the leader. I can't say enough about how much info will be passed on from this thread.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Dan, many thanks for the hardware, without it this project wouldn't get past the wishful thinking stage, Monday the package with the kit and hardware will go by safari to a banana boat and then down the Amazon river to the Shadows' secret hideaway. Last time I talked to him he was mumbling something about using the Deuce kit Poncho engine (while he was waiting for delivery) to to show a couple of his techniques for bolt together construction or something like that.......I don't know, he doesn't talk a lot.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Hey Jeff......I've gotta play with your mind a bit.....how about takeing up Don on his challenge, with this added challenge from me......put that Olds Rocket in the Citroen. I dare you to be different!
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oooooooooohhhhh ! I couldn't do that. That Rocket is strictly for my celebration deuce. I'll tell you what I will do. After I get the Rocket finished, I'll switch projects and do something of extreme detail and document it. I won't do this in competition with Mario as a challenge, but I'll do it in conjunction with Mario. He'll do a European classic and I'll do an American classic and together, we'll try to push the envelope as far as it can go. I'll use this as my modeling PhD thesis.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Sould be veeeeeeeery interesting indeed, looks like there will be lots of interesting stuff coming along.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Great points, Don. I'm going to hold off on that kind of kit for a short while. I went yesterday and bought myself a lathe and spent a bunch of sheckels on it. Now don't get too excited because it's a mini wood carving lathe. I'll be able to make larger items like tires and wheels in bigger scales and still have the fun of materials turning. I can still make almost all of the shapes I need but I want to keep the hand work very strong. It wasn't done to save the money and go cheaper, it just is a fun thing to do and another technique to add to the mix.

Believe me, the fully scratchbuilt Caddy is still on the agenda. That's going to be fully superdetailed, it'll have a good number of working features and it will be in 1/6 not 1/8 scale. All I'll need to do is watch how Mario does the Citroen and follow the leader. I can't say enough about how much info will be passed on from this thread.
    Hey Jeff!
    Congratulations for the buying of a lathe...it will change your modeling life & make you an addict.
    Don't hesitate in asking for my help for turning, I've had years of experience & there are lots of timesaving tips...
    Go make some happy shavings & keep a brush handy...There is a very easy way of adapting a wood lathe for metal turning!(Send me your lathe specifications)

Best regards

Mario

1/8 Citroen 7
    Last edited by Mario Lucchini; 10-19-07 at 07:40 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Mario, I'll definitely need some advice from time to time. The lathe will definitely help me when I need to make tires, wheels and wire wheel jigs. I've been using a drill press as a lathe for several years. It's great for small stuff but it's not stable enough for the large parts.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    Thanks Mario, I'll definitely need some advice from time to time. The lathe will definitely help me when I need to make tires, wheels and wire wheel jigs. I've been using a drill press as a lathe for several years. It's great for small stuff but it's not stable enough for the large parts.
    C'mon... send your lathe specs & lets start turning metal-precise-small parts, lets turn eccentrics, cones, lets make scale bolts & nuts, lets...you know...

1/8 Citroen 7
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Last night while on my lunch break, I turned an arbor on a manual lathe. (.959" O.D.) I then drilled and tapped it for an M5 X .8 thread. I bolted on one of my '65 Vette wheel backs with the cast in rotor. I separated the wheel back from the rotor part. Now all I need to do is scribe out the inboard rotor blade face from some .040" thick styrene 1/8 Citroen 7 sheet with a compass point and glue it to the ribs on the kit rotor. Once complete, it will look like a "vented" disc brake rotor. Next comes the fun part... Drilling the 5 lug bolt pattern on the hat diameter of the rotor assembly. I'll be turning down a "T" brake drum and use that for the separate rotor hub. I gotta get me a little hobby lathe from Harbor Freight. Guess I'll have to wait till Christmas rolls around to get one... Maybe they'll have a sale on them.. I hope!!
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks again Mario. I'll be opening the box today and I'll look through the manual for all those specs and then I'll e-mail them to you.

Guido, they told me where I bought my lathe that the Harbor Freight lathe has one problem, if you can deal with that. They said it's very easy to make the chuck wobble if more than a certain amount of pressure is put on a part in a lateral direction when you're turning it. If you can overcome the force problem, it should be O.K.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Hey Jeff. That all depends on how much stock your taking off in one pass. If you make .010"-.015" passes at a time, I don't think it would be a problem.... It would be wise to feed it slow and not rush things. I know it's cheap Lathe. But if you go easy with it, you won't have a problem. I'll be looking into one of those 7" X 10" lathes. They're about 400 sheckels. And then comes all the tooling that goes along with the lathe. Even more $$$ But most of that stuff I can get for free. Gotta go to work.... Seeya later on tonight!
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #15