Close

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2015 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-25-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello Everyone,
      new guy here, Chris from Germany. First a little bit about myself; I am 50 years old, work as a freelancing architect, I'm married and have a daughter who's now 12 years old. I've been building models all my life, and in the last 20 or so years I focused mainly on RC scale airplanes. I tried my hands on a Pocher Mercedes when I was a teenager but failed miserably, so this here is my second attempt (actually it's my third - but more on that later). I have been looking for something other than RC airplanes for a while and started looking around on ebay for a Pocher project to try out without spending an enormous amount on a mint kit, that I'd would probably ruin in the process.
      So here it is: I was able to purchase a started Mercedes for a reasonable price a few months ago, that was in desparate need of some TLC, which looked like the right project for me.

Build Photos

Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-3-2-1-meins-04-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-3-2-1-meins-05-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-3-2-1-meins-01-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-3-2-1-meins-02-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-3-2-1-meins-03-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    That's interesting Michael, I had never noticed that. Whatever it is, it is indeed missing on the Pocher kit, so I'll check later if there is enough room under the hood to add it. You can see it even better on this picture here
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-bj8aw_800600-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    Next was the supercharger gear housing, well at least its rear housing plate for now. As with all other parts, it needed cleaning up and some primer Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild first. Some mould defects had to be removed and some filler added. The fit onto the engine block was bad so a substancial amount of material had to be filed off from the rear side to get a better fit. The flange of the right oval, when looking from the front, is actually part of the engine block, but the Pocher engineers chose to put it here. The next test fit revealed some serious fit problems as it wouldn't line up with the ledge on the front of the engine box. There was also quite a gap between the removable panel on the left side of the engine block (looking in driving direction) and the engine block itself, that I hadn't noticed before.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-74-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-75-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-76-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-77-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-78-jpg 
    Last edited by CTDavies; 05-14-11 at 10:28 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    This was ok on the rear of the engine block. It turned out that one of the mounts for the camshaft rod had a small bulge which brought it down too low causing that gap. You can see that the camshaft does not run paralel to the engine block.
    I removed a bit of that bulge with a round file in the corner where the shaft goes and the fit was much better.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-79-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-80-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-81-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    The whole thing went on much better now. I'll probably glue the rear housing plate onto the engine block later, then I can fill the joints and paint them in gloss black as well. Interesting on the last picture, you can see how much has been filed away by the way joint flange is now tapered.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-82-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-83-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-84-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    On the last pictures in #32 and #33 it looks as if the removable side panel is badly rippled. This is just a trick of the light as it really is very smooth. It is, though, quite dusty from filing down the rear side of the rear clutch housing plate.
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    Today I started on the front casing of the clutch bax. This part has some serious mould defects that need to be fixed. The plastic is so thin in some areas that the material dowsn't quite reach this far into the moulds, leaving holes. This happens where screws pass through the casing to fix clutch lever parts to. The bottom hole was easy to fix. I cut a piece of brass tube about the length needed and after some dental work on the inside of the casing I could glue it in place with a drop of thin CA glue Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild . This wouldn't work for the top hole as there is no space for a brass tube, so I glued a long screw in place with CA instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-85-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-86-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-87-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-88-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-89-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    Then I mixed up some epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild resin Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild with plenty of Micro Balloons added to get a consistency like damp beach sand Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild . Adding Micro Balloons makes the epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild more pliable and once formed it retains its shape. So the mix was applied from the inside with some touch up work done outside. This will now have to set for 24 hours before I can add filler where necessary - if necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-90-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-91-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-92-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    While the epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild was given time to set I added some painted on details to the engine accessories. The colours are an ecclectic mix of what I've found on the internet
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-93-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    I have always admired the military and figure modellers the way they work with techniques for weathering Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild and shading. I want to try some of that on my Mercedes, as I don't want it to look like either a museum car or even worse, a well painted plastic model. I want it to look like a car that is well maintained but also frequently used, like it would have looked back in 1935. So the engine accessories were given a coat of Future Floor Polish and then weathered with Lamp Black oil paint heavily dilluted in white spirit. The spirit wash was left on for about 20 minutes and then removed with a soft cloth. This also helps bring out the details, as the wash remains in tight corners and crevises.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-acc-02-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-acc-03-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-acc-04-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-acc-05-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-acc-06-jpg 
    Last edited by CTDavies; 05-22-11 at 12:01 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    The oil filler tube was usually painted black on the pictures I have seen, matching the engine block. The cap was left polished chrome, which adds a nice touch.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-acc-07-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-acc-08-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-acc-09-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-acc-10-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-acc-11-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    I then moved on to the carburetor. On the real thing, this was basically made of two major components, the top and bottom halves. On the pictures I have, the bottom was like polished chrome and the top natural aluminium. The carby was bolted between exhaust manifiold and the supercharger piping Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild via large flanges which Pocher provides as large plastic slabs. If not built correctly these will look like just what they are, thick plastic slabs. I decided to build the top and bottom halves accordingly and then join them later. This way I could paint them in their different metal shades. I have a tube of Revell Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild plastic cement with which the glue is applied through a long thin tube, like a syringe, which helped me fill the gap between the bodies and the flanges. A lot of ejector pin marks Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild had to be removed and some filling was also required.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-01-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-02-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-03-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-04-jpg 
    Last edited by CTDavies; 05-22-11 at 12:17 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    So after a lot of cleaning up, the parts were ready for priming. Here I took care to make sure that the joint between the bodies and flanges were thoroughly filled in with cement with no gaps left, which would have spoilt the look.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-05-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-06-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-07-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-08-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    I was then able to paint the carby parts. The bottom half was painted with Model Master's Chrome Silver which gives a great polished metal look, nearly like chrome. The top half was metalized with Model Master's Aluminium. The joints between the bodies and flanges all look great with no gaps.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-09-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-10-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-11-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-12-jpg 
    Last edited by CTDavies; 05-22-11 at 11:41 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    Here I decided to do a test fit, which is just as good, because it revealed that the intake manifold pipes need to be moved quite far back, where they slot into the supercharger. The way the kit is designed, this movement is possible, but a small square gap in the supercharger needs to be taken care of later. It is important that the carby runs down the vertical centre line which connects the supercharger pipes and the exhaust manifold. I checked on my references and there I could see that the pipes do enter the supercharger around its finned area and not as far forward as Pocher's slot would allow, so things are looking good here except that gap.
    The flange parts that are not part of the carby propper were painted in their appropriate colours. The top half of the top one being that dark cast iron look, as it's actually part of the exhaust manifold. The bottom half of the bottom one was then metalized in aluminium to match the supercharger pipes. The difference in metal shades really brings the carby to life. I'll try to do some glamour shots later today.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-13-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-14-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-carb-15-jpg 
    Last edited by CTDavies; 05-22-11 at 12:00 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    Just a few quick'n'easy glams at the end of the day
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-01-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-02-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-03-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-04-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-05-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #46