Close

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2015 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 04-25-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello Everyone,
      new guy here, Chris from Germany. First a little bit about myself; I am 50 years old, work as a freelancing architect, I'm married and have a daughter who's now 12 years old. I've been building models all my life, and in the last 20 or so years I focused mainly on RC scale airplanes. I tried my hands on a Pocher Mercedes when I was a teenager but failed miserably, so this here is my second attempt (actually it's my third - but more on that later). I have been looking for something other than RC airplanes for a while and started looking around on ebay for a Pocher project to try out without spending an enormous amount on a mint kit, that I'd would probably ruin in the process.
      So here it is: I was able to purchase a started Mercedes for a reasonable price a few months ago, that was in desparate need of some TLC, which looked like the right project for me.

Build Photos

Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-3-2-1-meins-04-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-3-2-1-meins-05-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-3-2-1-meins-01-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-3-2-1-meins-02-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-3-2-1-meins-03-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello Chris,

your built of the K 74 looks very promising. Will watch that very closely. You did right with the black color of the engine block, they were enameled black on all of the prototypes in original factory condition.

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    Hi Michael, thanks for confirming that, it was more an assumption on my side from studying contemporary images.
    Bit more to show you all today. I had found a chemical liquid called a Deoxidization which jewellers use, apparently to clean jewels, and is great for cleaning metal parts which have turned dirty and matt over the years. The metal rod for the cam shaft was treated with that as well as the fan. The parts are just placed in it for about three minutes and then washed off with water after. They look a lot better than before.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-28-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-29-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-30-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    Then it was time to start on the cylinder head. I was warned by the Paul Koo DVD that the base plate and recessed spark plug cans don't fit very well and the base plate needs some Dremel Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild treatment first.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-40-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-41-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-42-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    I wanted to glue the cylinder head sides together instead of using the screws. The nice and shiney screws do add some flash Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild to the built engine, but the real thing just didn't have the three screws as needed on the Pocher kit. Also there were some sink holes on the end sides which needed some filler.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-43-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-44-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-45-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    The valve rockers were spray painted with Gun Metal Metalizer Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild after I tried to remove all the mould seams - in vain as it looks. The push rods break off easy so I had to be careful doing this. The bottom half of the push rods was painted bright Aluminium to show where they move up and down in their fittings. I don't know if it looks like this on the real thing, but I thought it just looked nice this way. The cylinder head top plate was painted semi gloss black with the details brˇught out by dry brushing Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild aluminium afterwards.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-46-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-47-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-48-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    However, when I mounted all the rockers the whole assembly came apart again, because, as it happened, the push rods turned out to be too long, hitting the recessed spark plug cans, forcing everything apart again. So the push rods were all shortened with my drum sander.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-49-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-50-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-51-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    When I did the next test fit I realized that the sides aren't really straight, they seem to bow out around the middle, so this time I glued the whole assembly back together again with epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild to ensure a strong joint and carefully placed it in my small vice using wooden sticks to protect the side surfaces. Also the part with the cylinders was glued in place in the engine bock using epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild as I wanted a strong bond here as well. You will see why much later.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-52-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-54-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-55-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-56-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    That big black thing I used to hold down the cylinders is a battery used for engine starters on r/c planes. It weighs about 5 kilos, appr. 11 pounds. That should hold the cylinders down until the epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild sets. I painted the screws on the maintainance plates on the engine block a very dark metalic silver because I wanted them to look like strong metal bolts. The bolt sides were painted as well as my eyesight allows. I always cringe when I see screws and bolts only painted on their caps and not along the sides, I mean, come on, this where is all or nothing makes the difference! This is it for this weekend. The epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild is still setting and I'll let it do just that over night before I continue. Until then I'll just [I]Ramble On[/I]
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-53-jpg 
    Last edited by CTDavies; 05-08-11 at 04:26 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    Now that the epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild has set I put the cylinder head assembly back on again for the next test fit and you can see how it now bows upwards at the ends. I saw this happening earlier which is why I decided to glue the whole contraption with epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild . Using no glue at all as the Pocher folks intended is a no go here and I was afraid that super glue might turn out to be too brittle, so I'm going to get the epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild out later plus some large c-clamps
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-57-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    So I glued the cylinder head in place with epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild and with my daughter's help was able to get the whole assembly fixed in these two giant c-clamps. The large finger print you can see on the engine block is probably hers but can easily be polished away again afterwards. So while the epoxy Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild is setting I painted some more details onto the engine accessories (is that the right word?)
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-58-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-59-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    After three solid hours I had removed all mould seams on the intake and exhaust manifolds as well as the supercharger parts. The supercharger bypass stub was a bad fit and needed some filler around its joints as well as being shortened to the correct length. I shortened it a bit too much as can bee seen on the top filler seam. The parts were then all primed to see if all mould seams had really been removed, but a little bit of extra work might be needed around the two bypass joints.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-60-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-61-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-62-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-63-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-64-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    The manifolds already look good in place and I couldn't resist a motivation shot at the end of today's session.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-66-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-67-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-68-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello Chris,

you've done an awesome job on the Benz engine yet. Don't forget to add the cylindrical device located next to the radiator, that is connected to the distributor by a rod and ball joint. Think it is a vacuum valve, which indicates the firing point. Pocher did never replicate it, but it seems easy to scratchbuilt it. Will post pictures of the prototype , when I find them in my mess.
    Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. CTDavies's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Chris
    Hi Michael,
    I've been through my collection of prototype images, but couldn't tell what you meant, so I'm interested in seeing what you want to show me. If it's within my abilities I will surely try to scratch build Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild any missing items.
    Yesterday I noticed that the supercharger clutch housing and the actual supercharger housing fit wasn't very nice, but it was easy to screw these two parts together and clean up that joint. On the proto images I have these parts match very nicely and a seam is barely visible. Priming the manifold parts yesterday revealed some spots that needed a bit of extra filler treatment and re-priming before I got out the Metalizers. The exhaust manifold is darker than the polished look of the intake manifold so I mixed some Burnt Metal with Aluminium to get a look that represents a cast iron look. The intake was metalized in Aluminium and then polished. These manifolds don't fit very well to the cylinder head, so I will have to look at this area a bit more over the weekend. Until then I will just [I]Ramble On...[/I]
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-69-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-70-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-71-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-72-jpg  Article: Pocher K74 Mercedes Benz Spezial Cabrio A rebuild-mot-73-jpg 
    Last edited by CTDavies; 05-12-11 at 04:16 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello Chris,
    here is a pic that shows the mentioned part:
    QUOTE QUOTE #31