Close

Builder Last Online: Dec 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 03-23-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I've been working on the Alfa display engine for about 4 months now and expect to have it done by the end of the week.

I was goofing around with my camera last night and, like a blind mouse bumping into a piece of cheese, managed to capture this picture which I think is pretty cool.

Anyway - I hope to have a gallery of shots of the new engine debuting here in the next few days. Also, when the engine debuts, I'm also going to be announcing my new web site where I've posted about 3500 construction photos of all my builds going back to 2003. I've included construction photos of The Satin Doll, both the Ferraris, the Alfa Chassis and a bunch of others.

Stay Tuned...

Andy.

Build Photos

Alfa Engine Preview-coolalfapic-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Andy,

Most great photographs are accomplished that way. Are those the cast metal covers that you made? If so who's or what alloy did you use to cast?

Looking forward to seeing the build pictures when you post; it is always interesting to see how others approach the build process.

Also how does April 2 look for a trip down to visit you and the museum? ;';;';

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Good morning Ken. Those metal covers are an alloy with a LOT of sterling silver in them and they were cast by Marvin Meit at Model Motorcars Alfa Engine Preview . In 2007 I picked up the last set he ever made and have been saving them specifically for this build. I poked and chipped and sanded them to rough them up a bit so they looked right sitting on an engine block. The nice part about them is that as they age they get this beautiful patina.

I'll check on April 2nd and let you know if that can work. I'm free but need to check with the bike's owner to make sure he can make the HD available for photos that day. I also need to check with Terri to find out if I'm allowed to have a play date that day.

Andy.

Alfa Engine Preview
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Andy,

I have used the "pot metal" that Micromark sells for casting Alfa Engine Preview , try it sometime you will not need to distress, comes out of the mold that way. I did test casts using a silicone mold on the cylinders for the 1/16th scale Mercedes engine for the Fokker D VII. Will have to post an image of it sometime.

Yes I know about play dates with the boss, this weekend I am helping her at a local craft show peddeling her wares. All I am is grunt labor.

Keep me posted.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I've never had much success with casting Alfa Engine Preview Ken. I have trouble holding the motlen metal in my hands long enough for it to cool and usually end up dropping it all over the floor.

Am I doing something wrong?

Alfa Engine Preview
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    FANTASTIC looking image Andy...looks better than 1:1 Alfa Engine Preview ! I can't wait to see more. The v covers are amazing!
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Andy, yes I had the same problem holding the molten metal to and then I got a small steel ladle and I don't drop the hot Alfa Engine Preview metal on the floor any more and it is easier to hit the filler hole in the mold.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Andy, here is my one and only attempt at casting Alfa Engine Preview metal. Again using the metal from MicroMark in a silicone mold which was made to pressure cast resin Alfa Engine Preview . As you can see the resin Alfa Engine Preview parts are crisper and cleaner using the pressure pot than the gravity cast metal. The voids in the metal can be corrected by the addition of air vents. This was just a quick experiment on my part since I already had the silicone molds for the engine done.

Also no attempt was made to clean or finish the metal casting Alfa Engine Preview , this is how it came out of the mold.

Just FYI for those who may wish to try their own metal casting Alfa Engine Preview .

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Now you're tempting me to get into casting Alfa Engine Preview ! If I could add a reliable casting Alfa Engine Preview system and an English Wheel to my metal shop, there's nothing I couldn't make in scale!

Alfa Engine Preview
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougritt View Post
    FANTASTIC looking image Andy...looks better than 1:1 Alfa Engine Preview ! I can't wait to see more. The v covers are amazing!

Thanks Doug. I can't wait to see more myself! I just wanna get this thing done. I checked my records and found out that I started this project 2 years, 3 weeks and 2 days ago. That's the longest i've ever spent on any build!

Taking Alfa and new engine to competition on Sunday so have to have it done tomorrow night at the latest. Will post pictures ASAP.

Andy.

Alfa Engine Preview
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Andy, here is your one stop shop for resin Alfa Engine Preview casting Alfa Engine Preview ! Make sure to look at adding metallic Alfa Engine Preview powders to resin Alfa Engine Preview . Enjoy!

Model Making, Rubber Molds and Casts, High Quality Reproductions

Here is English Wheel at Harbor Freight

English Wheel

Ken
    Last edited by xken; 03-25-11 at 01:30 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11