Close

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (5 votes - 4.80 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-10-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

[I][B]It's Expensive, Complicated, Poorly Documented...and VERY Cool!
      [/B][/I]
      I have begun building this ebay-find: a Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza. This is my first attempt at a Pocher kit, and can't believe I am having this much fun building a car which has parts and assemblies that don't fit! Oh well... I am not shy about cutting, adding and subtracting parts to build something unique.

The engine block remains the stock plastic one, but the small assemblies have been replaced with cast metal parts and some fabricated parts.
      Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-pocher-monza-jpg
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    To make the radiator as accurate as possible, I referenced prototype images from the 1:1 Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary car. The radiator has tubing routed around the perimeter of the mesh frame.

1. The tubing is bent with round jeweller's pliers to allow small radiusses to be added to the solid brass.
    2. Hex nuts are added to both ends.
    3. The tube line is affixed in two locations with clamps; these are created by cutting strips of brass sheet, bending and tapping, then bolting to the radiator.
    4. The radiator assy is now test fit to the chassis.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-routing-cu1-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-routing-cu3-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-routing-overall-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-routing-overall2-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-glamour1-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Here is an image of the plastic Pocher-issue radiator, followed by an image of the fabricated brass radiator in place on the chassis. Remember, the plastic radiator is still there...it was used as a structural member underneath the sheets of brass.

I am replacing some of the distributor and spark assembly with brass parts. A plumber's tubing cutter has been used to swage (round) the tubing for an accurate look.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-3337386638656235-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-chassis-test-fit-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-distributor-fab-2-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    The pistons and crankshaft are mounted and the engine block goes together. I will probably use a brass front axle, because the added metal parts have made the engine assembly heavy!
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-engine-oil-pan-glamour-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-alternator-assy-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-pistons-1-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-valve-cover-construct-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-pump-routing-cu-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    it's the best way to keep the models safe.Adding more metal in scale hardware means more weight. After some years the tires(Tyres) run flat, axles will bend and you'll be in charge to create a barnfind.So even the Pocher Company supplied model-stands with their kits.(ugly-looking)

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Doug - Outstanding job my friend. Glad to see someone else doing the brass radiator. Are you going to do the fuel tank in brass also?

Andy.
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Thanks 3.Star and Andy-

3.Star: I really need some input on how to display this model when I am done. Should I prop up the car from the axles? What about display cases?

Andy-I would love to do a brass tank, but it seems that the other Alfa versions have a standard oval-shaped tank. On the Monza, isn't the tank the streamlined rear portion of the body, or is there an internal tank? I need to find some images!

Andy- Thanks for the heads-up on the magneto. I have discovered that the "Building The Pocher Alfa's" book has an incorrect example which looks just like the alternator! I really appreciate this Scale Motorcars Forum...other model-makers can spot an error before it is permanent. Thanks for your help on this and your awesome posts!

Doug
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Hello Doug,

after my detailed up Heller Citroen got weak in the display case and started to get x-legged, I decided to put the large scale cars on two rectangular pieces of glass (two mm thick) supporting the frame.
    They are glued on the mirror base with a special glue, that hardens using ultra-violet rays. My local glassmaker does this job for little money. It is up to you to choose the heighth of the supports. Mine are measured to raise the model only touching the ground a little.

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Great idea Michael, can you give us some photos of this setup?
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Had tried to post some pictures already, but have to improve my poor photographing skills. Flash Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary is reflecting in the mirror base. Will keep on trying.;';;';

Cheers
    Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    by the way... TDR Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary makes some great 1:8 work stands. Way better than the Pocher units.
    And they are adjustable!
    QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    This here is some FINE model building.
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 diagrams:

1. Wiring Diagram
    2. Radiator Diagram

I found these on the web and thought they might be useful to other builders.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-alfa-romeo-8c-2300-wiring-diagram-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-alfa-romeo-8c-2300-radiator-diagram-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Some scratch-built pedals are added as the engine and transmission are assembled. The texture on the pedals is created by tightly clamping a small sheet of brass into a vice. The jaw knurling creates a believable pedal texture!

Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-pedals-orig-vs-scratch-built-jpg

The pedals are test fit...

Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-pedals-1-jpg

The engine and transmission are fitted and assembled. A lot of filing was necessary to make the parts fit together.

Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-eng-trans-1-jpg
    Last edited by Dougritt; 06-11-12 at 02:57 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. Giovanni's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Giovanni
    Magnificent build quality!
    Regards,
    Giovanni

Regards,
    Giovanni
    QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. Earl's Avatar Member
    Name
    Earl
    Doug, after quietly lurking, it's time to break my silence and I have to tell you that your work is truly outstanding. I'm also working on a Pocher Alfa and it's a real pleasure to see how your project is turning into a real beauty. Thanks for sharing.

And thank you too Andy for the wiring and radiator drawings.

Earl
    QUOTE QUOTE #46