Close

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (5 votes - 4.80 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-10-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

[I][B]It's Expensive, Complicated, Poorly Documented...and VERY Cool!
      [/B][/I]
      I have begun building this ebay-find: a Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza. This is my first attempt at a Pocher kit, and can't believe I am having this much fun building a car which has parts and assemblies that don't fit! Oh well... I am not shy about cutting, adding and subtracting parts to build something unique.

The engine block remains the stock plastic one, but the small assemblies have been replaced with cast metal parts and some fabricated parts.
      Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-pocher-monza-jpg
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    YOU'RE KIDDING ME!!!!

I'm doing a second engine to display next to my Alfa 8C rolling chassis and that engine has the Magneto start also. I haven't heard of anyone else doing this and thought I was being original.

I guess great minds think alike. Have you fabricated your magneto yet? I'd love to see pics. Here's a shot of what I built.

Andy.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-magneto-jpg 
    Last edited by Andym; 02-16-11 at 11:21 AM.
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    But wait a minute Doug. You built and installed a generator? Where are you putting the Magneto? Is your engine going to have both the Magneto and the Generator?

Andy.
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Ok this is new for me. I haven't seen the race starter. Anyone have a real photo?
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Hi Andy-

Your magneto looks really cool! I have been basing mine on the example in "Building The Pocher Alfas" manual. But...I can't really get a good view of the magneto, just the wiring. Now that I see your example, I am probably going to build the alternator version...I made the assumption that the two were very similar.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I've got four pictures of the Alfa 8C Magneto that i'll post when I get home.

Andy.
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks...
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    This is one of the few Alfa 8c engines with Magneto start that i've ever seen.

The colors on the block and the wiring are all wrong, but you can at least see what the magneto looks like.

Andy.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-mag01-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-mag02-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-mag03-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-mag04-jpg 
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That looks eninently doable. Thanks for posting such great pics, Andy. Good pics are always welcome.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I'll say it's doable... I did it. 'Ya gotta kinda think through how you're going to assemble it before you start making chips on the lathe and mill, but once you get your design down the fabrication isn't all that difficult.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-asmmag-jpg 
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Thanks for the photos Andy. I may just have to take your lead and put the alternator version in the car, then build a second Alfa magneto engine for display next to it.

Doug
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Now I am attempting to improve on the plastic Alfa radiator which comes in the Pocher kit. I am making this up as I go along, but it works! I want to avoid building structural reinforcements for the radiator...there is an easier way. Using the stock plastic part as a structural element, here is the process:

1. Cut off the hose attachments with sprue Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary cutters. Cut all the way to the radiator surface. The goal is a flat "puck" on which brass sheet can be glued.
    2. Using the plastic radiator as a template, draw around the part (with a permanent Sharpie marker) onto the brass sheet. Do this twice for front and back parts and cut out the parts with tin snips (or scissors with thinner Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary gauges).
    3. Measure the radiator width and a cut long strip to wrap around the sides of the radiator.
    4. Using cyano-acrylate or contact cement, glue the brass parts to the front, back and long strips to the plastic part. Alignment is critical here.
    5. Use 0000 steel wool Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary to polish up the surface of the brass.
    6. Liberally solder the edges together and use solder to fill gaps.
    7. After cooling, use sanding Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary blocks with #360 grit sandpaper to sand Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary the edges away and form a nice solid radiator!
    8. Cut the square base from the threaded brass spout mount, and solder the part in place at the top of the radiator. Sand Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary excess solder from the joint.
    9. Polish the part with 0000 steel wool Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary .
    10. I have ordered brass mesh material for the grill area, so the next step will have to wait a week...stand by!
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-layout-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-construct2-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-brass-radiator-edge-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-brass-radiator-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-stem-jpg 
    Last edited by Dougritt; 02-19-11 at 01:46 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Really excellent build Doug. Great work.

Andy.
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Andym View Post
    'Ya gotta kinda think through how you're going to assemble it before you start making chips on the lathe and mill, but once you get your design down the fabrication isn't all that difficult.
    A big AMEN to that statement.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    I have completed some more work on the Alfa Romeo radiator.
    1.Square tubing is mitre cut to form the frame for the woven wire screen.
    2.The frame is tack-welded in the corners to hold the assembly together.
    3.Drops of cyano-acrylate are used to position the frame while soldering into place. Just the inside is soldered...it will be covered with wire mesh.
    4.The water inlet coupling(spout) is pieced together and holes drilled for attachment.
    5. Holes are tapped, then bolts are used to fasten the assembly.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-frame-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-frame-alignment-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-solder-frame2-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-hose-spout-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-spout-connection-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    The radiator work continues...

1. The inside of the frame is sprayed with self-etching primer Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary , then black Krylon.
    2. To make the lower spout assembly, a hole is drilled in brass sheet to fit the brass tubing, then soldered.
    3. The brass spout is then rough cut to shape, using the tubing as a handle, then sanded to shape.
    4. Bolt holes are drilled and tapped. The spout is fastened to the radiator.
    5. The radiator is fitted with expanded aluminum mesh. The mesh has been dusted with black Krylon to give it a well-used appearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-mask2-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-screen-install-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-spout-fab-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-spout-fab-1-jpg  Article: Re: Pocher Alfa Romeo Monza-Build Diary-radiator-glamour2-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #31