Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 10-01-21 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built Build in Progress

I’ve started a major project to produce a full transkit for the Airfix Bentley blower.

The wheels are done using the composite 3D printed/wire spoke system I developed for the Alfa 8C Monza, and the engine is around 90% complete too, here are some shots of progress so far:-

Thanks for looking,

Nick

Bentley 4 1/2 litre Blower in 1/12th scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Lovely job! Those rims even make the Airfix tyres look good.

Front crossmember next?
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Kit
    Airfix
    This is getting more and more interesting.
    I think that a lot of modellers, besides the kit and transkit being worked on might just want wire wheel kits to become available as separate items.
    Having respoked the Airfix wheels myself in the past using plastic rod, they are not a patch on the ones Nick is developing looking at his picture in his last post.
    Last edited by Bugatti Fan; 10-13-21 at 02:35 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Thanks for your message and support. So far, I am planning on printing everything including springs and shock absorbers, let’s see how that goes. You almost certainly know more than me, but I believe a 6 cylinder version/conversion should be perfectly possible as well.

My transkit will only really use the chassis, tyres and a handful of other ‘big bits’ from the Airfix kit, so my idea is that almost anything would serve as a donor for this - childhood disasters, eBay pre-built monsters etc. in the future I am toying with the idea of a small CNC machine, mainly to mill chassis rails and other big structural parts, if I can master either flexible resin Bentley 4 1/2 litre Blower in 1/12th scale printing of a casting Bentley 4 1/2 litre Blower in 1/12th scale /moulding system that will take care of tyres - my 2 current obstacles.

As for release, I plan to stage it, I just need to do the photography for the manual for the wheels, so they will go on sale as soon as that is done.

The engine ‘module’ also needs a revised crossmember and radiator to fit the Airfix kit, but I plan to release this next, maybe a version with a stand of some kind as a stand alone too? the rest will follow as modules - brake drums, shocks, fuel tank, dashboard, springs etc, etc and eventually bundled as a transkit.

Hope that makes sense?

Nick

Bentley 4 1/2 litre Blower in 1/12th scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #19