Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-06-21 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi fellow model engineers!
      Can this be true? Pocher lives again?

https://diecastsociety.com/pocher-co...ssic-lotus-72/
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I hope it is not the old ENTEX 1/8th scale JPS Special. Horrible kit. (In my opinion)
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. ssybrecht's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sebastian
    it says: "It has been confirmed by Pocher this is 100% new tooling."
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    Let's await the Paul Koo DVD to see how much damage really must be done to get a realistic model ;)

In seriousness (although the above remark was quite serious too) it is sensational news. I wonder what happened to the announced Mercedes-Benz 300SL kit though.

I like overviews, so I made one of the Pochers (only base models, no separate engine kits):

CLASSIC POCHER I
    - Fiat F2
    - Alfa Romeo 8C (Monza and Spider Touring Gran Sport)
    - Rolls Royce (Sedanca and Torpedo)
    - Mercedes-Benz 500K / 540K
    - Bugatti 50T

CLASSIC POCHER II
    - Volvo F12 / F16
    - Porsche 911
    - Ferrari Testarossa
    - Ferrari F40

HORNBY
    - Lamborghini Aventador
    - Lamborghini Huracan
    - Ducati Panigale 1:4
    - Lotus 72 F1

That makes the Lotus the 13th base model since 1966 (=averagely a new one each 4,2 years).

Lucky number 13, kit should come with no fit issues whatsoever
    Last edited by Roy vd M.; 01-07-21 at 12:38 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I'd rather see the Mercedes-Benz
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Good news! The Mercedes Benz is available from LeGrand. You can buy it here!
    https://www.modelmotorcars.com/legrand/
    I have a 1/8 Entex kit which I bought to use as templates for a brass scratch build New Pocher 1/8 Lotus 72! ...I love the Lotus 72!
    Doug

New Pocher 1/8 Lotus 72!
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    Although that looks very neat and I'll make some modelling friends very unhappy from a financial point of view by telling them of this kit, it's an Uhlenhaut 300 SLR while Pocher had a regular 300 SL planned.

I wonder what happened to those moulds (which were finalized I assume?). Perhaps it was to be too expensive a project, with working lights and all.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    It has been many years since my hobby shop days, but both the 1/8th scale Porsche and Lotus from ENTEX, were considered pretty poor kits. And often were found to be missing parts, sometimes whole trees, from the factory.

You might want to check your kit for completeness before you get your hopes up. Decals were another issue, and poor fit.

Considering the cost of creating a large scale model? I will be surprised if they have actually made all new tooling. Here's hoping I'm wrong!
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    Although Pocher indeed states "new tool" I cannot help it but wonder whether that is true for all of the kit. If so, that would be very good news for the hobby.

But:
    - A comparison comes to mind. Revell New Pocher 1/8 Lotus 72! 's recent E-type kit (2020) was promoted as 'new tool'. Modellers have been left disappointed to find out that about the only thing that's new are the engine sprues. The rest of the kit is the old Heller (1978). Why then say 'new tool'? It suggests that all tooling was new. Pocher uses the same words 'new tool'. Perhaps this is the same strategy as Revell New Pocher 1/8 Lotus 72! 's. In their description (see here) they mention 'real rubber tyres'. Perhaps they made a new mould ONLY for the tyres and think that's enough to label their kit 'new tool'. Something to be wary of; and it would be the first time in the company's history that Pocher didn't design its own moulds. EDIT 9 January 2021: THIS INFO ON REVELL'S E-TYPE KIT IS BASED ON A MISTAKE. THEY ARE INDEED NEW SPRUES.

- Following the above, why did Pocher not use the words "100% new tooling"?

- One more reason for restraint is... why of all thousands of possible subjects choose that one model that has already been done? One of the reasons why I'm working on the Delage is that nobody has done it before in 1/8, so that it will be a unique model. Few 1/8 models have been issued although there is a (niche) group of afficionados for that sale. It puzzles me greatly that of all possible choices, this was the one effectuated. Considering Pocher's current home (Hornby - England) one could have expected a British subject to be chosen, but why not a classic Williams F1 car? A Vanwall? A Benneton F1? Or if it must be a Lotus, why not Jim Clark's 25? Or supercars: the McLaren 720S? Mclaren F1? Jaguar XJ220? Even if no blueprints should exist, with modern electronic measuring and scanning techniques highly realistic moulding should be possible.

This line of thoughts leads me to agreement with Don's reserve, until proven otherwise, that the new Pocher kit might well use the old Entex moulds (originally produced by the company 'Grip', see here).
    Last edited by Roy vd M.; 01-09-21 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Rectification
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    Update: a copy of the above post was answered on Britmodeller with:

Hey guys,

I actually work for Pocher as the brand manager. Please look at our Facebook for updates but this is a 100% new tool. Made from scans of the real car at Classic Team Lotus. It bears no common parts nor lineage from the old Entex tooling at all. And certainly not related to any part work!

We choose it because we wanted to start a range of beautiful, iconic famous racing and road cars. This may not be your first choice, but we can always get to those in the future :)

I'm afraid the 300sl was before my time so unsure why it was cancelled!

See here. Looks like great news! Now let's hope for high quality in fit and parts.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    That is GOOD NEWS!
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. mistral's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Volker
    Well, according to dealer info both the Uhlenhaut as well as the Lotus are planned for Dec 21. Considering that the Merc was already planned for early 20, then early 21 one can expect further delay. So if we are lucky it will be in 22... I personally wonder why they choose the 72 and not for example the 78 ...
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    . . . or the 49?
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. mistral's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Volker
    Yeah, THAT would be nice. The recommended retail price for the 72 is 699€ incl. 19% VAT over here in Germany.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    If Hornby (Nee Airfix) were contemplating any new vintage classics what or me is one of the most beautiful cars in the world the Duesenberg SJ Phaeton, based on the example in the Haynes Motor Museum in the UK would be nice and would have great appeal especially to the American market.
    Unfortunately I cannot see this happening though. Ironically Hornby have a showroom at their HQ devoted to displaying all the old Pocher classics individually showcased within but as far as I can see they will probably never re release any of them. However they seem to be flitting from one subject to another. I thought at first that they would be sticking with modern supercars. But 2 Lamborghinis. a Ducati motor bike and now a FI Lotus suggests otherwise.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15