Builder Last Online: Sep 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/4 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 1
      Started: 03-28-20 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-bugatti-type-35-2-3-jpg

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Every few years I am sent to work on location. -I always pack a few books, some note pads, pencils, pens, and often some token of what I'd rather be working on. My Aluminum axle.

Two weeks ago, I spent a week in the Nevada desert, 30 or so minutes North of Las Vegas. And quite frankly, it was HOT Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale ! 115'F!!

We worked 12 hour days, then back to our hotel. Each of us fended for ourselves. Usually a shower, a quick meal, and sleep. U.S. Airforce nightly, was running very loud take-offs! (F-22's and F-15's I think.)

Our last day was much longer than we had planned. -And in my haste to pack, -I think I tossed my axle.

So? I have started another. Out of Brass this time.

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_7584-3-jpg

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_7607-2-jpg

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 08-16-20 at 09:46 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #77

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Brass really is the better material, soldering and assembly-wise. -If I had "Nickle-Silver" in a large enough bar I would use that, but I don't, so it's Brass for now and plate it later!

QUOTE QUOTE #78

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You may find your axle somewhere as I don't think you are so unorganized to let such a part in an hotel room...
    QUOTE QUOTE #79

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Wanna bet?

I have looked through all the tools and clothes and tool boxes. I think that on the last day I was cleaning up my room and it must have gotten mixed in with my mess of 5 days. -or its on the floor under the bed? under the curtains? I could call, but I think I'll just make another one! -Half way there already.

QUOTE QUOTE #80

5. happyfreddy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    freddy
    I fully agree with Roger .......
    When finished the new axle You find the old one somewhere sometime when never expected

Itīs only one of Murphys rules :
    Do You want to find any loosen part just buy a new one ....
    then You will find the old one.
    QUOTE QUOTE #81

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    So? -for the record, I had a pretty nice Aluminum axle that I lost! And two more were still-born. -A Brass one started but set aside. And a Mild Steel one laid out, with a pass or two on the mill. -And then, this.

A Stainless Steel Axle.

It was actually laid out at the same time as the first Aluminum one, both were taken to the metal cutting bandsaw, to quickly remove some of the bulk. But I pretty much became so enamored with the Aluminum one that all my other plans and initial intentions were forgotten.

Then, this last weekend, as I was setting up to do some mill work on the Brass axle, I remembered the scrap of Mild Steel that I had , put that on the mill instead, made a few passes with a Carbide Endmill, - discovered that it was smoother and easier than I had expected. So? -so then I swapped out the Mild Steel for the original SS one, and I have been playing with that one for 3 days now.

Much, much slower going than the Brass, or Aluminum!

I have done some bandsaw work, some conventional milling, of course lots of file work, and grinding, to get it this far.

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_7670-2-jpg

We'll see?

I should have done this on the lathe, I think. (Maybe later?)

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 09-10-20 at 02:24 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #82

7. nickedw's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    So? -for the record, I had a pretty nice Aluminum axle that I lost! And two more were still-born. -A Brass one started but set aside. And a Mild Steel one laid out, with a pass or two on the mill. -And then, this.

A Stainless Steel Axle.

It was actually laid out at the same time as the first Aluminum one, both were taken to the metal cutting bandsaw, to quickly remove some of the bulk. But I pretty much became so enamored with the Aluminum one that all my other plans and initial intentions were forgotten.

Then, this last weekend, as I was setting up to do some mill work on the Brass axle, I remembered the scrap of Mild Steel that I had , put that on the mill instead, made a few passes with a Carbide Endmill, - discovered that it was smoother and easier than I had expected. So? -so then I swapped out the Mild Steel for the original SS one, and I have been playing with that one for 3 days now.

Much, much slower going than the Brass, or Aluminum!

I have done some bandsaw work, some conventional milling, of course lots of file work, and grinding, to get it this far.

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_7670-2-jpg

We'll see?

I should have done this on the lathe, I think. (Maybe later?)
    OK, now it's my turn to be impressed, that looks beautiful already.

Regards,

Nick
    QUOTE QUOTE #83

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thank you! Nick.

I really should have done this on the lathe, it would have been more precise, but we'll see!

When I'm done it will be interesting to weigh it! Solid Stainless Axle! -it won't be light!

QUOTE QUOTE #84

9. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    This is coming on well. Some very interesting inputs on this thread make for some good exchanges of information. I wish you well with this project that looks to be a long haul to completion. Will continue reading with interest.
    QUOTE QUOTE #85

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thanks Noel!

I did buy a short length of SS bar Friday. But the powers that be, had me working today in the heat and smoke, so when I came home I was too tired to do anything. -Tomorrow, Sunday, I plan to do nothing but stand at my lathe!! It'll be a pleasure! Maybe a nice pizza, some nice music, an electric fan blowing of course, and a Guinness or two.

We'll see what I can do in one day!

QUOTE QUOTE #86

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Nothing!

Not really, but in effect, nothing.

I discovered that I donít have a large enough lathe dog, that my Myford does not have glacially slow rpm available, and that removing a lot of material will be necessary before I can safely do anything lathe-wise to this part.

Iíll continue with the one Iíve started, and return to this 2nd axle after I have more properly prepared it for lathe work.

The issue is a standard of quality, or compromised quality with the first axle.

Possibly not noticeable to a casual viewer, but isnít that always the issue? Looks arenít everything, it should be right if I can make it right.

QUOTE QUOTE #87