Builder Last Online: Apr 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/4 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 4
      Started: 03-28-20 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-bugatti-type-35-2-3-jpg

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Don, interesting build sequences. You have inadvertently answered a question I had on how a Fokker DVII radiator worked. Very similar honey comb design.

May I ask why are you using spring steel for the leaf springs? Because of the scale and final weight? Seems to me more trouble then it is worth. I am assuming this will be a static model and to get the proper ride height of a loaded spring you would need to compensate by distorting the spring. If you are duplicating the springs from a manufacturers profile for new springs then won't the model sit too high?
    QUOTE QUOTE #167

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hi Paul!

I used to love DVIIs! (I still like them, just not enough to build them?) So many color schemes, pattern camouflage, and histories! . . . .

Springs? Had to use something, and I didn't want to risk them bending and staying bent. I also like trying new to me techniques. -I wanted the leaves to appear as they do, to be individual pieces. In truth they are pretty stiff, and when assembled, "my" springs have almost no give. -I may keep the top and bottom leaves, to hold the proper shape, and "sandwich" some other metal in between? Aluminum would be lighter but the wrong color, mild steel doesn't help with weight, and might fight the spring back situation?

The curve has been set by judgement. (Mine) They are not expected to move at all. The rest of the model will be Aluminum, and Brass sheet.

-craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #168

3. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Defeating the springiness of springs, here's an idea. Make a jig which will hold the spring at the bend required for the desired ride height. Heat the spring bright red in the jig, let cool, and it should keep that curve. The different steels used will clean up to original colors, and the de-tempered springs will still support the weight.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #169

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Pretty much what I did to create the shape I've got.

-And, yes, the different leaves can be other than Spring Steel. I am always up to experimenting, and as you know, I am a nut for new materials, and techniques!

Things other than modeling have been drawing me away from my work-bench. But as I progress in fit and assembly, I'll try whatever looks like it will work.

The leaves were heated up in a jeweler's burn-out kiln, and laid over a shaped fire brick. Cooled to set the shape and quenched. These were done at a friends shop and I wasn't able to record the process. -But it was just as you described.

QUOTE QUOTE #170

5. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Interesting approach. Have you worked out the hole(s) you need to drill?
    QUOTE QUOTE #171

6. Marianazas's Avatar Member
    Name
    Miguel
    Hola a todos, soy nuevo en este foro y estoy encantado dei saber hacer de todos vosotros.
    Un saludo

Miguel Navarro
    QUOTE QUOTE #172

7. Marianazas's Avatar Member
    Name
    Miguel
    Hola de nuevo, quería iniciarme en la creación de un modelo a escala del Bugatti T35 y tengo dificultad para encontrar planos de referencia. Alguno de vosotros me podría indicar algo.
    Gracias
    QUOTE QUOTE #173

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hola, Miguel!

(My Spanish is very poor, so please be patient.)

A very good source for some plans to get started with, is the book published by Haynes.

BUGATTI TYPE 35
    1924 onwards (all models)
    Owners' Workshop Manual

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_6555_2_haynes-bugatti-book-2-jpg

In the above book you'll find clearly printed reproductions of actual factory blueprints!

The overall dimensions of the frame and body of the car. Wheel, and engine, radiator, steering wheel, front axle, . . . .
    A very useful and affordable book to purchase and work from.

(Don't (In my opinion), buy the also relatively new book, Bugatti Type 35 and it's Variants. It really was a disappointment, and frankly a waste of ink!)

If you can afford a little more? GRAND PRIX BUGATTI, by H.G. Conway, is a very nice book, with a more general, and broader view of the racing Bugatti's.

Also, there is The Bugatti Trust, an organization whose sole reason for existing, is to preserve and promote all things Bugatti! They do have a plan service, and a photo archive, but it is not a free service, and membership is $100? (I think?) Worth it probably? But not absolutely necessary.

I DO recommend the HAYNES book!

Welcome to the forum, please share your progress!

-Don

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-27-21 at 02:16 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #174

9. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    I'll second that about Haynes manuals. There are some fascinating machines that any of us are unlikely to ever operate or own. These books give a good inside look at a few of them. One warning- they'll only sharpen your appetite for more.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #175

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Usually, I'm associating Haynes manuals with useless pieces of paper because they cover many years from a given vehicle (nothing is better than the shop manual). It seems in this case that the book is a useful addition for Bugatti fans.
    QUOTE QUOTE #176

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    To restate my opinion, (I have brought visual aides)

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_1925-jpg

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_1926-jpg

These are not the Haynes manuals that the company was famous for. But are far more in depth studies of a specific nature. A particular vehicle. My only complaint is that they are not differentiated FROM they're other manuals, and that makes for a little difficulty in searching for them, or for new listings. -I would have made a special title or series, . . .

QUOTE QUOTE #177

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_1930-jpg

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_1928-jpg

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_1929-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #178

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    My only other complaint, is the unnecessary preamble of Bugatti history. The driver's biographies are interesting, and accounts of the personalities that are still involved in Bugatti "Culture", that I found interesting too. A list of currently active specialty shops, restoration, and replacement parts, also appreciated.

The best of the Haynes manuals, from a modelers viewpoint.

QUOTE QUOTE #179

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Effectively, a dream! I wish they would do that for the 1932 V-16 Cadillac cars! I have to confess I never searched that way.
    QUOTE QUOTE #180

15. Marianazas's Avatar Member
    Name
    Miguel
    En primer Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale lugar felicitarte por tu extraordinario trabajo, y ánimo. Mi ingles tampoco es una lengua que domine, pero no hay nada como el traductor de google.
    Y en segundo lugar darte las gracias por tu rápida respuesta y decirte que ya he encargado el libro, que espero recibir en breve. La verdad que no es muy caro.
    Cuando me decida que quiero hacer al final, os tendré al corriente de lo que vaya haciendo-
    Un saludo y gracias
    QUOTE QUOTE #181