Builder Last Online: Jan 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/4 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 3
      Started: 03-28-20 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-bugatti-type-35-2-3-jpg

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thanks Roger, I still have to give most of the leaves a scalloped end, and thin or taper the ends as well. Plus make the rivets, and retaining hoops.

-craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #152

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    The leaf springs are 10 mm wide cut to a proportional and guessed at length. The "eye" is 3mm in diameter. (1/8")
    And the stock is actual Spring Steel, 0.050" thick.
    The retaining hoops will be Stainless Steel. Rivets also are to be Stainless Steel. Axle is Stainless, but the wedges will probably be Aluminum, as that is what they appear to be in all the images that I can find.

QUOTE QUOTE #153

3. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    I've almost finished reading through a MB 540 topic of some years ago (26 pages...) and after that I'll start reading through this one. After that, Roger's new Cadillac venture. Plenty to do :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #154

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Initial shaping of the leaf spring's "eye", I use a short length of 1/8th inch Steel dowel pin. This insures the proper dimension and "roundness"

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-torch-bricks-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #155

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Ah! Working so early? Good idea to heat both elements together, otherwise, by inserting a cold shaft, the spring steel would cool down to fast.
    QUOTE QUOTE #156

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Ah Roy! Apologies for not responding in sequence, but it was very late, and a long day for me.

Reading through the builds here can be exhausting! Marcus's Mercedes build is excellent! -his work is so clean and solid! Beautiful work! And trying to read all of Roger's posts? -that takes days! (I know, I've done it a few times!) His Avanti, the Oldsmobile Toronado, and of course the Mark II Continental!

But don't stop there, Jo from New Zealand, and his Birkin Bentley Single-Seater, and more, other threads, too many to list are very instructive, even inspiring!

And the recent influx of Digital Modelers! It gives hope for the future of scale modeling! (Your work included of course!)

QUOTE QUOTE #157

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Somedays, not too much progress.

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_1339two-sets-jpg

Bugatt Type 35 , 1/4th Scale-img_1350lmmkn-jpg

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 01-06-21 at 01:10 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #158

8. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    It wasn't Marcus' Mercedes thread that I was going through, that will be for -yet- another time. Now that I've gone through your own thread I'll have a go at Roger's new Cadillac one. I remember it took me a few months (literally) to read through all of his Continental thread, but I did (I even visited another forum where the very beginning of his work was posted).

I must say these threads, yours no less, are a dream for the large scale car scratch modeller. I have enjoyed learning how you made the radiator base for example; the recent spring eyes another example. I'll need that for the Delage as well, as that spring construction has essentially the same design (Hopefully the drawing work will be finalized soon so I can get started on the real deal).

Looking at all your tools, your books, your will to learn, your original ideas.... it's astonishing. This topic, along with many others on this forum, are a source of inspiration, motivation and astonishment as to what is possible. On this forum it started, for me, with Propeller's epic Talbot-Lago build. Being me, I saved all pages to my computer's HDD to make sure nobody would ever take all that info away from me (lol) and in each topic I learn new things.

One thing that isn't clear to me.. what are your plans for this Bugatti? It seems that you had or have a rather 'laisser-faire' (whatever happens will happen) philosophy regarding the build... that you'd just start and see where it ends. When reading the first pages I somehow got the feeling you were just going to build the engine + radiator, that's it... but on more recent pages I read jolly stuff about making a car frame.... made of steel.... to improve sturdiness... which could only mean that you'll add a bodywork?! Am I mistaken or are you (loosely) planning on building all of a 1/4 scale Bugatti 35? Which happens to be the base version of the car that raced against the Delage (Bugatti 39A)?

You can probably tell my excitement by that prospect.

Anyway, on to reading about Roger's Cadillac build.
    QUOTE QUOTE #159

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roy!

Good luck with reading all of Roger's posts! -(I have done it!) -I also started some note-books on his Continental model, not wanting to loose the step by step lessons he offered up. (Truly rare!), printing some of his pictures, and adding some from other sources, to better illustrate a component or design feature.

And, yes, I do intend to make my Bugatti model a visually complete model. No working engine, but I guess I'll have to do the brakes, steering of course, and what ever else Jo and Roger have done in far smaller scales.

I have never done this before, and it is an education. When your young it's easy to make "Wish Lists" but not until one actually starts to do the work, do you discover what is really involved. -and one's own limits or frankly failings.

My "Wish List" used to be very long. It is not so long now, and that is ok, it helps to focus on what IS doable.

Coincidently both the Continental MkII, and the 1927 Delage had been on my list! As were the Birkin Single Seat Bentley and an Oldsmobile Toronado!!!

Great minds do think alike!

QUOTE QUOTE #160

10. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    That is a coincidence indeed.

Well the more you all machine and create, the more I’ll be able to learn before starting myself. Making notes along the way!
    QUOTE QUOTE #161

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    OPEN QUESTION?

I need to drill holes into the Spring Steel leaf springs. 10mm wide. 0.050" thick. The holes will be for the rivets that attach the spring clips. Holes will be 1/8"(3mm)

And the question is, Has anyone done this? Best advice I've been given is to use a Carbide Ball End, end mill to start, and then use a reamer, or abrasive point?

Any ideas? Any body?

QUOTE QUOTE #162

12. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    There are drill bits made for drilling out broken tools. One of these should be hard enough to drill your springs.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #163

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Remembering what Roger accomplished with the Diamond Sintered cut-off disc, I thought to try a small diamond bit I had handy? Just one of the inexpensive bits that are available as sets. -I find them useful for a lot of different materials, Jasper, Marble, Jade, Ceramic, and Glass, . . . . but I didn't think about using them on Steel.

It works!

Thanks again Roger!

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 01-16-21 at 08:14 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #164