Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2023 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 12-25-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Bloody Mary is a hillclimber, built in the UK by John and Richard Bolster in 1929, when they were both schoolboys. It has a wooden (ash) chassis and was originally powered by a single JAP V-twin of 750cc. Through the years, pre-war, it was refitted with bigger engines and ended up with two 1000cc JAP KTOR V-twins, mounted in tandem. It competed until 1959, when it was put on display at the Montagu Motor Museum - and it's still there. It appears these days at events like Goodwood - the picture below is a from recent visit.

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-bm1-jpg

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Not quite Cadillac standard, are they Roger! Did you spot the pipe clamp that has been used as a cable guide for the accelerator Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build ?

QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Could be also a French construction!
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Welcome Back!

I really like this project of yours! It is just as much a test of fidelity to the original as any. You can't take any short-cuts, what your making has to look like the original, and that may look crude / basic, but it is accurate. It is as designed, as built.

Great news about your move! -and a new shop! -and lathe! Nice to be able to slide the tail-stock out of the way, and then back in as needed.

Welcome back!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Wow, that thing really was a "by the seat of the pants" ride! In your earlier pics of the original, I never imagined the driver sitting with the chassis frame rails up about his armpits. That must have hurt like hell if the driver ever bottomed out.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    If you look carefully on the left hand side of the cockpit you can see the exposed drive chains, not far from where the drivers left leg would be.

QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo NZ View Post
    If you look carefully on the left hand side of the cockpit you can see the exposed drive chains, not far from where the drivers left leg would be.
    Obviously, driver safety was a development of the late 1960's on up. That anyone would let such a thing past a tech inspection is beyond me. In the states seat belts in passenger cars didn't become the norm until 1964 I think so given the era of this ride, it probably didn't come up for discussion at the tech inspection - or- maybe there were no tech marshalls!
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    There are videos of this car running. All things considered, it does run very fast! -and actually seems better in the turns than most cars from the same period.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    A little more progress. I'm currently focussing on the back axle - it will look much more like a car when it's on wheels.
    Here's the chassis in it's jig, with a rear spring

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3576-jpg

With the axle comes, of course, the chain drive. Not wanting to make the chain from scratch I looked at small industrial chain - it's far too big. The only alternatives that I could find are the motorcycle chains from Tamiya Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build (1/6 scale) and Model Factory Hiro Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build (1/9 scale) The Chain on BM looks pretty meaty, so I thought I'd start with the Tamiya Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build chain.

This is about 3 hours work, it's about 1/4 of a full chain. I'm going to need 2 sets, I need to make the chain between engines, rear engine to gearbox, gearbox to back axle.

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-191878685_10158430929097549_8103756442529224647_n-jpg

Once I'd got the pitch and width of the chain I looked at making some sprockets for it. I have enough detail to roughly count the teeth on the drive wheel, and also for the sprocket on the inside of the engine (you can see it in the pedals shot) that I thought was the drive between engines. It isn't - it's the magneto drive... - and I think that has a smaller chain size. I'm using it anyway to prove the technique.
    As I'm using 1/6 chain on a 1/8 model I've had to adjust the number of teeth. I started with the magneto drive - 10 teeth, and to get the sprocket about the same diameter I'm using 8 teeth. it's the smallest sprocket, so not too much work if it's wrong.

I inherited some special purpose cutters a while ago, I'm using one to cut the teeth

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3577-jpg

The result (first prototype on the left, third on the right) with half the chain length

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3583-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I understand that you don't want to do the chain yourself!
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Very interesting build. Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    I've now made all the sprockets for the drive chains. There are two more chains - one from each engine - driving the magnetos, but I think that this is a smaller chain. I'm waiting on the MFH 1/9 scale chain to see if it's suitable. The first sprocket that I cut - thinking it was for the magneto actually works as the gearbox output drive sprocket.
    I also changed the cutter that was used for a rounded rather than a vee shaped one. it seems to fit the chain better.

Cutting the 45 tooth rear axle sprocket

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3586-jpg

All the sprockets so far, and a close up of the gear set and clutch to go onto the gearbox

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3593-jpg

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3594-jpg

The chain fits!

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3595-jpg

and this what the drive sprocket looks like

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_0326-jpg

now, does anyone have details for a 4 speed Sturmey-Archer 1920s motorcycle gearbox, or a Lucas KTM magneto?
    Cheers
    Jo

QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very nice work!
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Stu238's Avatar Member
    Name
    Stuart
    Hi Jo, making great progress. Your work is fantastic.

Regarding the Sturmey Archer gearbox I only have info for for the 3 speed. You can get more info from the Motorcycle museum in the UK.

https://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum...s-clifton2656/

There is a small cost but maybe someone already has it.
    Hope this helps.
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    It's very cold in the workshop, so in order to continue this adventure it was time (finally!) to buy a 3d printer. A very generous forum member sent me his almost finished 3d CAD model of the J.A.P. KTOR engine.

Here are all the components printed in 1/8 scale - the head is not complete, it still needs ports and the spark plug boss added....

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3604-jpg

And all the bits made so far assembled

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3608-jpg

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3611-jpg

These are the rough positions of the motors in the frame - note that the rear is an upright "V", but the front engine has the rear cylinder vertical

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3612-jpg

I also made the rear brake drum and bolted it the the drive gear

Bloody Mary in 1/8 scale scratch build-img_3602-jpg

Next will be to make the engine mounts and fix them in the frame.

QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    You go Jo!
    QUOTE QUOTE #31