Close

Page 53 of 59 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2022 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (4 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 8
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Most probably, some other manufacturers did the same. When I have nothing else to do, I can do some researches...

QUOTE QUOTE #782

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The original oil filter holder is made with sheet metal and its shape is too complicated for my taste, therefore I simplified a bit and soft welded the braces and the bolts to the supports. The oil canister was a rather simple job.
    Yesterday, I had a funny adventure: a bit of brass was silver soldered to the holder's base. Usually, to clean the flux resulting from silver soldering, I'm putting for 1/2 hour the fresh soldered part into a glass jar containing vinegar. When finished, I'm purring the vinegar back into a bottle. Then, water is coming into the jar. After that, the water is dumped into the kitchen's sink taking care that the part(s) is staying into the jar. Yesterday, I had the impression that the tiny part went away with the water through my fingers. I saw nothing into the vinegar's bottle, nothing into the small glass jar. Where went that part? Most probably into the siphon trap...So, Christine and me began to remove the tubes under the sink, which is never easy. Next to the bad odor and accumulated dirt, we found nothing. Well, we thought, it was probably taken away with the water; it's time to do another part.
    When I wanted to store away the glass jar, I saw that damned part, not at the bottom, but near the top! All that trouble for almost nothing, except clean tubes in the kitchen!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-383-oil-filter-support-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-384-oil-filter-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #783

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Murphy lives in jars too!

Not just carpets!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #784

4. happyfreddy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    freddy
    I hope my comment will be posted , cause I still have many problems to login in scalemotor forum.
    Some days its possible to read but when writing a comment Im logged out. Try to logion again I had to read the
    Adimin comment pleas wait 15 minutes before new log in

Roger : very nice work again
    the gearbox looks like madefrom one piece of brass without any soldering !!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #785

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Freddy, glad to see you again here! I have to say that recently, I had no more issue to login in that forum. Sometimes it takes a long time, sometimes not.

The number of accessories to this kind of engines is incredible... After the oil filter, it was time to do the construction holding the bracketry for the starter motor and the activation of the chokes. They are activated be a lever at each side of a long shaft supported by a tube. As drilling a hole of 1 mm in diameter into a piece about 30mm (1.2") long is not possible with my tools, I ordered a tube 1.5 OD/1.1 ID which will arrive next week. In between, the activating system for the starter motor kept me busy for some time. Thanks for the various pictures I have, I could evaluate the dimensions of all elements.
    Probably most of you don't know that the starter motor is activated by a pedal pushed by the driver; the pedal is located almost in the middle of the car. This pedal is not yet done; dimension wise, it's also a guess as I forgot to clearly photography it.
    As you can see on the first picture, the actuating lever is away from the motor's switch; on the second picture, it's pushing the round button. A spring will be added to hold back the actuating lever.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-385-starter-motor-activation-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-386-starter-motor-activation-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #786

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Roger, I am so glad you took on this project!

Your work is such a wonderful lesson in perseverance!

I pour over every posted picture and I learn and relearn so much!

Thank you!

-Don
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-14-22 at 02:48 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #787

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Question? When you were making your notes and taking measurements, had you measured all these details? -or do you concentrate on the larger and then use photographs to help you scale proportionately the smaller?

The gathering of measurements and recording them in a useful way is itself a very daunting task.
    QUOTE QUOTE #788

8. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Roger, always a pleasure to view your progress.
    QUOTE QUOTE #789

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Don & Paul!
    Well, Don, I took many dimensions when I was in Germany. However, when I was standing next the that frame/engine, I was more or less discouraged: so little time and so much to do! The result from that situation was that I took dimensions as much as possible, but way not enough. I did some pictures, trying to be square with that element or assembly. Here too, I took not enough pictures; I assume this is like a training: after doing that for 5 vehicles, you know better what to do!
    Fortunately, the guy in the Netherland who restored the frame and engine took many pictures (he had more time!), probably for his customer. All that, plus some drawings from the shop manual are allowing me to get decent dimensions for the parts I intend to replicate. Sometimes, I have to improvise; the pictures are helping me to evaluate if I'm right or not. For each new part, it takes sometimes hours to determine the "right" size. When a part or an assembly must go together with something else, some feeling is required.

We continue with the engine's accessories. One which is not in plain view is a tube or conduit for the spark plug wires. This conduit has 2 studs on top of it to attach the long cover hiding most of the ignition system. Two ignition wires are emerging at each oval holes; the four last wires are exiting at the rear of the tube.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-387-conduit-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #790

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    It's going to be magnificent!
    QUOTE QUOTE #791

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The logical continuation was to do the valley's cover. This part is indeed just a styling element with the benefit to protect the spark plus and wiring from the dust or debris. Anyway, this part is a nice complement to the valve covers.
    The original part is stamped, a process I cannot do. The various elements are soft soldered on the main plate. The curious shape at the rear was probably necessary for the first V-16 generation, but not for this one. With so few cars sold with that engine, some cost cutting was a necessity!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-388-cover-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-389-cover-installed-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #792

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Even if this not the place to tell it, I have a deep concern about the situation in East Europe. How will that end? (this comment can be removed by a moderator; it had to come out.

The ordered material arrived, so I could finish the starter motor's lever which is inside the car. He is probably not the exact replica, but I'm satisfied with it. Next to that, I did the levers going to the throttle levers, the lever for the hand throttle and the one which will actuated by the gas pedal. All those elements are free to rotate but, as the throttle levers at the carbs are fixes, everything from gas pedal to carbs will be static.
    I did also both knobs attaching the valley's cover. Unfortunately, these are too small; I cannot engrave the Cadillac emblem on them!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-390-throttle-levers-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-391-throttle-levers-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-392-throttle-starter-levers-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #793

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    You are most certainly not alone in your anxiety. It is insane.
    We are all being held hostage by a reckless madman!
    QUOTE QUOTE #794

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Your model looks amazing! Do you have any idea how many parts you have made?
    QUOTE QUOTE #795

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    Your model looks amazing! Do you have any idea how many parts you have made?
    Thanks for your comments about the politic...
    How many parts? I have really no idea! A lot, that's for sure. And almost each part is constituted with tow or three or more, silver or soft soldered. I assume only a fool can do that; the people who did (or do) models for a living could simply not or their model would be too expensive.

QUOTE QUOTE #796