Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  Thanks: 2
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger, I had sold Dremels for 19 years, and for most of the last 20, I have always had a few handy.

Not a perfect tool but useful.

I have used them for cutting, grinding, drilling, and in any and every material, known to me.

So intent have I been, that on more than one occasion I have had to adjust my grip as the DREMEL 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine was on fire!

Again they are not perfect, but they are useful.
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 12-01-19 at 10:29 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Oh! Your rims look great!

Plated 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine or painted?
    QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I see that I'm not alone with Dremel 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine 's failure! Anyway, as you wrote, they are useful. More than the old flexible shaft I have on my first Unimat lathe!

The wheels will be painted. Don't know yet what for a color; I have time to choose!

QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Suggestion Roger: Old dentist machine to the delicate work, like mine.
    There are lots of drills and more on ebay.de
    The white motor is from a sewing machine with footpedal.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-bor1-jpg 
    Last edited by Egon; 12-02-19 at 02:34 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Too late, Egon, too late! I got the Dremel 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine 8100 yesterday. Somewhat less handy than the Stylus, but it will be useful too.You had a good find, especially with the flexible shaft and the white motor.
    Honestly, I'm no good at all to find such treasures...

QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The front axle is what I will do next. Usually, live front axles have a section like a H (turned at 90°), but, as it's a casting 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine , the ends towards the wheels are thicker. I'm beginning that simple, but not so easy to do part, with a flat piece of brass. I will add the needed elements more or less like for a Christmas tree 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine (good timing, isn't it?).

QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Dremel 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine 8100, what a colossus handpiece wow.

Take a look at this site: https://www.foredom.net/product-category/handpieces/ and on ebay for dentist equipment, you could be lucky.
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Interesting! Who knows, I may buy something from this company, depending if I can manage the colossus!

QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    How to silver solder bushings at the end of the axle with a hint of precision? I solved the problem by including tabs at each end of the axle and milling a groove into each bushing. The tabs are entering the groove without play, allowing to adjust the correct angle and position before silver soldering.

On the picture, both knuckle pins are ready to be put in service; they are at the right diameter to be without play in the bushings.

I can continue now by putting more "clothes" to the axle.

QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    This front axle may not be very exciting, but I must do it! I first trimmed the part

to be able to silver solder the upper flange of the H (or I) and gave its almost final shape.

Now, I'm preparing the parts which will be silver soldered on each side to have the correct thickness. If my explanation is obscure, the picture which will come soon will explain better.

QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I can now show what I tried to explain recently. 4 filling pieces were more or less correctly adjusted to the existing axle.

To help for the right location during the silver soldering, the pieces were riveted to the axle.

Now, I have to trim the assembly to the final shape; the second flange forming the H will be the last part which will be silver soldered. There will be several minor details which will be soft soldered as the are just for the fun.

Due to the intense heat needed, I'm glad that the bushings were mechanically stabilized.

QUOTE QUOTE #72