Close

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (4 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 8
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks to both!

QUOTE QUOTE #692

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Roger looking great as ever! Don't you just love building engines; I just finished this Hispano-Suissa SE5a engine kit for Model Expo which should be available later this fall in 1/16 scale.
    Keep up the great work you are doing.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-wolseley-44-jpg
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #693

3. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Yes it is. :-)
    QUOTE QUOTE #694

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks for your comments, Ken!
    You also did a nice engine; somewhat older as the V-16...(I could read the date: 1917; was probably used during WWI.)

QUOTE QUOTE #695

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Roger, yes this one is going to be in a SE5a British fighter plane from WWI 1/16 scale model kit. It was also used in Wolseley race cars after the war. Some of which could be great as scratch built 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine subjects.
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #696

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Ken, thanks for the info!
    I expected difficulties with that rear manifold and I got them! When the lower tube was done, I did the tube for the last cylinder, going down towards what was already done. However, the diameter from both parts is not the same. I did a tail at the upper tube and adjusted it at the lower one. When I was satisfied, I could silver solder both elements. Then, I silver soldered the flange at the cylinder head to the upper tube. This operation was delicate: if the assembly is crooked, the tube will be pointed in the wrong direction. By chance, that soldering went well, even if I had to "massage" a bit the tubing assembly. Then the more delicate job: merge the horizontal tube with the vertical one. I did not remove too much metal at once, looking if the job was right. After a while, I came to the conclusion that the horizontal tube was too short. Not wanting to do another one, I cut it and put a spacer about 2.5 mm wide (.1"). When it was done, I had a better vision how both elements could merge, removing metal here and there until I was satisfied. The next question was: how to assemble both? with silver soldering or soft soldering? To silver solder it, I should create a jig; I could however soft solder both elements when they were assembled on the engine.
    I now have to shape and solder the two last tubes for that RH manifold.
    I noticed that there is an interference between the tube coming from the water pump and the exhaust manifold ( the second picture is showing it well). I will have to solve this issue before I can go to the other side which should take less time to build

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-337-rear-manifold-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-338-rear-manifold-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #697

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    By bending a bit the elbow at the last exhaust outlet, I could get the needed clearance. This will also help for the exhaust routing near the gear box. There is also not much space between the rear manifold and the water pump; according to the various pictures, the distance is really short.
    With that issue solved, I could solder the remaining outlet tubes on the manifold. The LH rear manifold will be (I hope) easier to do!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-339-exhaust-manifold-ready-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #698

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    It sounds like your keeping busy. -I hope you took time off for your birthday? (Happy belated birthday Roger!)
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #699

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thank Don! Oh yes, I did not a lot that day and had fun in the evening with friends! (I was thirsty the next day, I wonder why...)

QUOTE QUOTE #700

10. happyfreddy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    freddy
    Happy belated birthday from me too, Roger
    QUOTE QUOTE #701

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Freddy!

QUOTE QUOTE #702

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    With the exhaust manifolds done, I had two possible paths to continue: the carbs or the intake manifolds. I choose the later possibility. The intake parts should be less complex to do; I will see...For the moment, I did the distribution boxes which are sitting on top of the center exhaust manifolds.
    I did a small error when I did the holes for the attaching screws: they are a tad too much towards the exterior. Because of that, I could not do the countersunk holes large enough to allow the regular brass bolts I have, their heads are rather large. The stainless bolts have the ideal heads, but are way too short. Therefore, I silver soldered a threaded shaft (cut from screws) to the stainless steel bolts. Another alternative: mill the brass heads at the same dimensions than the stainless steel ones. Making the bolts longer was quicker done, this is why I choose this solution.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-340-beginning-intake-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #703

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    It has massive proportions, any idea how much the real engine weighs?
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #704

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Sorry, I don't know! Don't forget that many elements like the crankcase are made with aluminum.

QUOTE QUOTE #705

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Even if the intake manifold is simpler than the exhaust one, it took some time to complete the RH side. Now, I just have to do the other side!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-341-intake-manifold-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #706