Close

Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (4 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 8
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The fuel bowl and its retaining hardware are ready. Man, that is small! Fortunately, the fuel bowl will be protected by the frame, so no fat finger will fiddle with it when the engine is installed.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-330-fuel-bowl-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #677

2. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    My brother and I retrieved a 1937 Hudson Terraplane Sedan with a flathead six from a field with the intent of restoring it. It had a similar glass bowl but it was on the carburetor if memory serves me correctly. I managed to get it to start and run for a short while but never got further with it than that as I went off to university. We eventually sold it to a guy who was rebuilding one for his dad and needed the front half of the body as he was building a coupe version. Incredible work Roger!
    QUOTE QUOTE #678

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Larry! As I'm not too familiar with the Hudson cars, I cannot tell if that bowl was at the pump or at the carburator...

After I did tiny parts with the fuel bowl, it was time to go to large parts: the intake and exhaust manifolds. I choose to begin with the exhaust parts; indeed, the intake manifold would be easier to do and would help to locate the exhaust with more precision. I began the job by drilling the threaded holes to attach the manifolds to the heads. Then, as I did not know how to proceed, I did the flanges for the exhaust tubes at the head. With that, I'm not very far...I wanted to begin the front tubes; did something just to realize that I'm going nowhere with that. Therefore, I decided to do the middle part (the picture from a real pair of manifolds will give the needed explanation). As my pictures were not good enough, I searched for exhaust manifolds with Google. I found very nice pictures from a company who is recasting those manifolds! Sure, they cost almost the price of a cheap new car, but they are there!
    The pictures I found will help a bit, but even if I'm looking at them the whole day, the brass will not be magically shaped...Anyway, here is what I have up to now...

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-331-exhaust-manifold-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-repro-manifold2-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #679

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Always interesting!

I remember your work on your Continental very well (Half the work, of this)

The people who are making the new castings? -are they creating Printed Molds? A relatively new technology,

As always, thank you for sharing your process and progress!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #680

5. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I was mistaken about the Hudson fuel pump. The glass bowl was right next to the diaphragm similar to yours but the bowl was on the underside rather than on top. It was quite some time ago and I took no pics. This shot is from eBay-which didn't exist when I had the car!
    1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-terraplane-fuel-pump-jpg
    Last edited by JunkGTZ; 07-29-21 at 10:15 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #681

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    @ Larry, the pictured pump is very similar to "mine"! The engine was upside down when I did the picture, if you did not see that, the bowl is effectively on the top!

@ Don: that company could get blueprints from Cadillac (what I could not achieve...) I just put in Google "exhaust manifold Cadillac V-16" and got some pictures; among them the manufacturer of those manifolds. The state that they had an hard time to find a foundry which could do the parts. I believe them!

QUOTE QUOTE #682

7. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    A trivia question if I may. Was any model kit other than the 1/8 scale Heller Citroen issued with a "glass" fuel bowl?
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #683

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Buck, you will not get an answer from me as I don't have it...

Indeed, I'm not much further with the manifolds. I added a flange for the carburetor to both central parts and did some holes. As I did forget the formula to make parts by looking at the pictures, I had to do something concrete: attach the central manifold on a temporarily basis to go further. This is what I did the last few days; the central RH manifold is not attached to the engine using the holes attaching the block to the crankcase. I also installed a flange to the head. I "just" have to make two tubes joining the flange and the manifold...

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-332-center-manifold-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #684

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I really enjoy your progress!

Still have that Twenty Dollar Bill?
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #685

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Don! The $20.00 bill? Oh, I certainly must still have it, as this is not locally a payment possibility. It's however way too early to put the engine on it!

QUOTE QUOTE #686

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Those tiny "tubes" (I made them from a solid bar) were rather labor intensive because they had to be adjusted with precision. To complicate the task, they are not perpendicular to the heads, they are slightly directed towards the rear. Anyway, both sides are now ready at more or less the right position. Now, it's the time to make the front manifolds.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-333-center-manifold-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-334-center-manifolds-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #687

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The logical continuation was with the front manifold. The center one is a nice guide for the right position of the main tube. Both rear outlets near the center manifold were soft soldered on the main tube when it was assembled to the engine.
    Now, I will do the LH front manifold.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-335-front-manifold-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #688

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The rear manifold is not an easy one: there are indeed 3 parts merging in one place. I began the tube connected to the center manifold and realized that I cannot go further. Then, I did the tube going down and the flange where the exhaust tube will be attached. Then the idea: with that flange, I can attach the tube to a fixture screwed to the engine. From there, I will be able to continue with the smaller tube coming for the head and finally adapt the horizontal tube. All three elements have a different diameter, you can see on one picture from the repro manifolds that the tube going down is more or less flat to conform with the other parts.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-336-rear-manifold-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #689

14. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Markus
    Attached Images Attached Images 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-images-jpg 
    Last edited by markus68; 08-16-21 at 05:10 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #690

15. happyfreddy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    freddy
    Oh, I see Markus Your thumb is still okay again since Your hammering - days in 2015

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-274_markus-jpg

Roger , excellent work again
    QUOTE QUOTE #691