Close

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (4 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 8
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Markus! No, I don't work at that model day and night, but on a regular basis. That's the privilege to be retired!

QUOTE QUOTE #662

2. happyfreddy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    freddy
    @ Roger Your post is perhaps not the complete answer

Everyone talks the whole life : when Iīm retired I will have plenty of time to realize anything always
    wanted to do.

But the truth is sadly : There is no extra time spared , in other words :

When retired You have less time than before beeing retired.

So the regular basis only can be :

work when You want to work and donīt worry if itīs at daylight or at night.

Roger itīs no secret :Your work is simply OUTSTANDING PERFECTION
    QUOTE QUOTE #663

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Freddy!
    About the time/retired situation: you are absolutely correct, the time management when retired is different. It's not unusual when you are meeting somebody who is retires; he often will tell you "I have no time"!

QUOTE QUOTE #664

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    For the moment, I cannot continue with the brake system: for that, the axles must be under the frame (or the frame above the axles); for that, I must first do the springs. I will have to buy spring steel, I don't have enough material presently.
    there are enough element missing at the engine to be busy for a long time. Recently, I did the breather. This part will be aluminum color at the bottom, the part above the base will be black and the cover will be chromed.
    To drill the necessary holes into the crankcase, I had to remove various elements. The engine will stay that way for a while as I will do now the fuel pump, located just before the breather.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-324-breather-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #665

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    This week, I resumed the construction; I'm not after the fuel pump. As it will be seen, I'm trying to make as few shortcuts as possible. I'm attaching a picture showing the unfinished upper part of the pump.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-325-fuel-pump-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #666

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The lower part from the pump is ready. Have a look at the previous picture; you will see what I added. There are 14 pieces which are silver soldered together, one after the other. With that syringe for the silver solder paste, no rework is needed to remove the excess solder. This task would be impossible with a soldering rod.
    Now, I can begin the lower part with the flange attaching the pump to the engine. There will be less tiny parts...

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-326-fuel-pump-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #667

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I'll have to get a syringe!

Your an excellent salesman!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #668

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Are you applying it between parts? -or just at the edges?
    QUOTE QUOTE #669

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Not sure if at scale 1:4 you will have a lot of usage for that product. I'm applying the paste at the edges. With the heat, the solder will flow at the right place (usually!). If you are applying the paste between the parts, at one moment they will be swimming and not stay at the foreseen place.

QUOTE QUOTE #670

10. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Very nice!
    QUOTE QUOTE #671

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Paul!

QUOTE QUOTE #672

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The second half from the pump is ready. I also added the vapor dome to the upper part. As you can see, the upper part got a thin coat of primer 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine ; during it's handling, the paint of the edges is gone!
    To complete the pump, I still have to do the "glass" bowl for the fuel filter. I also have to do the provisions to attach the glass on the first part; there are often small needed details which are easily forgotten.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-327-fuel-pump-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #673

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    "Easily forgotten details?"

I bet you have nightmares worrying about these details! ()

Your attention to details, dimensions, contours, edges and hardware, are what create your modeling integrity! In your latest posted photo, I see counter-sunk holes for Flat-head screws, and through-holes, assuming that you'll be using Flathead screws, Hex-head, and maybe some Buttonheads, and a Rivit or two.

The "Glass" reservoir will have a clip or cradle to hold it in place? -I'll never forget the springs you created on the undersides of the windshield wipers you made for the Continental! And those window switches!

I'll bet there are very few details that you can ignore! Maybe some refining of "as cast" surface details, but nothing structural!
    QUOTE QUOTE #674

14. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Odd coincidence. I broke the little fuel inspection jar on my Cat starter years ago. After scouring the place - the engine won't run without the jar, a model paint bottle bottle replaced the 1:1 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine Cat bottle perfectly.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #675

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    @ Don: thanks for the comments. In contrary to the Mark II, I have less pressure because there is an open end. Very practical and it allows me to do details I would skip otherwise. Yes, there will be screws, but read my new post (nobody is perfect).
    I intend to make the clip or cradle to attach the bowl. Will be rather tiny but it can be done. Would be easier at 1:4!

@ Buck: interesting "misuse" for that paint bottle!

The provisions for the fuel bowl were added (tiny cylinders soft soldered) and both halves were glued together. Glued? Why? Just because I did an error: I intended at first to attach both halves with .5mm bolts; when I was ready to drill the necessary holes, I switched to 0.6mm because I had tiny screws which heads are more in line with the original screws. Unfortunately, I had only 6 or 7 such screws and during all those years, I never found equivalent screws again. I decided to revert to the first decision, but now the holes are too large. To modify the lower half with silver solder would be hazardous, therefore I will put the 0.5mm bolts as intended, but glued.
    I attached the pump at its location, well hidden behind the front engine support. The upper part is turned at about 45°, otherwise, the fuel bowl would interfere seriously with the frame.
    I will do now the fuel bowl in plexiglass. I could machine that part in brass and paint it, but I have a remaining bit of plexiglass I can use for that.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-329-installed-fuel-pump-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-328-installed-fuel-pump-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #676