Close

Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (4 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 7
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    That second cross member took a long time to build. And sometimes I'm not very productive...Also, it's always a bit difficult to show something at the "right" moment; some may be bored to see some brass bits before the part is looking the way it should. Now I can show it and the way it will be in relation to the transmission: I "just" have to add the brackets to the cross member! You'll probably noticed that the supports at the transmission have bushing made with rubber, more or less like the original. The goal here is not to avoid to transmit vibrations to the frame but to facilitate the installation of the bolts as the bushing/brackets may not align perfectly.
    The cross member is also not yet ready to install in the frame: the brake system is attached to it. I have to begin the supports for the actuating tubes; once the supports can be screwed on that crossmember I will solder it to the frame. After that, any drilling at the front or rear will be impossible. Therefore a good planning is the key to the lack of failure!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-284-cross-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #587

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    As I would like to have operative brakes (a dream from youth: when I first began my Avanti model, I wanted to have...hydraulic brakes. I did not even had a lathe then. Needless to say, they were stillborn), the system must be reproduced as well as possible. However, if you are looking at my own picture, it does not look like the original system. What am I trying to do?
    I'm attaching also a picture from a real chassis.
    The answer soon!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-rear-support1-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-285-brake-system-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #588

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Well, maybe some had a sleepless night not knowing what I intended to do. The solution is here: it's a special tool combined with an element which will be used. The picture below is giving some light, as well as a picture from the real bracket for the rocker shafts.
    For a long time, I had no idea how I could position in the air a bearing, a flange and the links attaching them. Not only both brackets should be identical regarding the position of both bearings but the rocker shafts must move without binding.
    The solution I found was to make a long strip with both flanges, add on that strip two brackets to held the shafts at the proper distance.
    When the brackets will be ready, the excess material will be removed.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-286-special-tool-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-rear-support5-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #589

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    THANK YOU ! ! !

Now I can get to sleep!

-craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #590

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    A bit more to add to this sub-assembly?

The cylindrical part that has a bend in it, is to clear the drive shaft? That is a moving part? Part of the parking brake system?
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 03-23-21 at 02:24 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #591

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Yes, Don. This is the rocker arm for the front axle, moving of course. On the bottom of the picture, you can see the arm which is pulling the RH front brake. The bend is exactly what you wrote: to clear the drive shaft. The other shaft on the left is the shaft for the rear axle. As he is at an higher position, it's straight.

QUOTE QUOTE #592

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    With a lot of guessing and silver soldering, the brackets for the rocker shafts are done. I also added the thread to attach the exhaust support.
    My first guessing was not right, the first shaft was too near from the cross member (or the shape from the cross member is not quite correct). I had to tilt up the special tool and add a spacer on the bracket's flange. With that, the second shaft was much too high (it would have been above the frame); I had to modify the tool to have it at the "right" place. Then the job was cut, adjust, solder, let cool to handle it, verify that both shafts are still free and so on, and so on.
    There are still two holes at the cross member to be drilled; they could be done with the cross member installed in the frame. The holes are for the brake booster bracket; I'm sure it's better to drill them when I have the lateral position of the booster.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-287-amost-ready-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-288-supports-ready-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-289-supports-ready-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #593

8. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Looks good. Nice way to handle the alignment issue. This is where aluminum would have helped with alignment rather than risking soldering your brass alignment tubes to the mounts.
    QUOTE QUOTE #594

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Paul!
    I toyed with the aluminum shafts, but discarded the idea: too much heat for that metal! When I had a similar situation with the Mark II model, I used aluminum; the end result was not nice as the aluminum cannot withstand the temperature. A better solution would be stainless steel, it's harder to get silver soldered.
    Anyway, with the dispenser I'm using for small parts (and not a rod), I had no accident!

QUOTE QUOTE #595

10. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    I always enjoy watching your brass parts. Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #596

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    And me, your wood work!

QUOTE QUOTE #597

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Finally, the frame is ready: I fabricated the supports for the transmission and silver soldered them to the second cross member. With that done, it was rather easy to put the cross member into the frame (thanks its elasticity, I had not too much trouble to insert and remove it several times times) and soft soldering it. The rivets are not yet in place as you can see.
    The rubber bushings at the rear transmission was a wise decision, with my construction's variations, the holes in the supports are not perfectly aligned with the bushings.
    That second cross member is giving a significant torsion's resistance to the frame, but I'm sure that those frames are not very rigid and the road behavior was certainly miles away as what we have today. As almost all cars were made is a similar fashion, it was considered as "normal".

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-290-engine-frame-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #598

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I am so very glad you did not retire after the completion of your Continental.

This is beautiful, and should be a Center Spread in some modeling magazine!

We here are privileged! And grateful for the show!

Very nice Roger!
    QUOTE QUOTE #599

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks for the comments, Don! Now, I don't know with what I will continue. Maybe I may finish the transmission by adding its top cover...

QUOTE QUOTE #600

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Don, you wrote: "Radiator"? (however, this message does not appear here.

The answer is no. There are still so many parts to do at the engine and transmission; I have to concentrate on those 2 elements and not disperse my efforts too much.
    A more logical approach would be the springs. With that, I could attach both axles and do the torque tube. As I don't have the proper spring steel (either too thick or too thin), I will add the missing parts at the engine and transmission.

QUOTE QUOTE #601