Close

Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (4 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 7
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    So much time for so little! In fact, I spent 3 afternoons to install the front seat into my '72 coupe, scale 1:1 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine . Even if it was only 5C, I did not felt the cold temperature because those seats are not easy to handle, especially alone!
    In between, I could do the tortuous parts between the starter motor and the transmission. I began the parts attached to the starter motor, going forwards. At one time, I had to begin the adapter which is part of the transmission's case, hoping that no major flaw would appear when all is assembled. I'm making no illusion: the assembly is looking similar to the real one, but not exactly identical.
    Some details must be added like the flange for the operating lever. As most of the readers don't know how that starter motor is operated, a short description may be useful: when the driver want to start the engine, he is pushing a pedal located at the right of the gas pedal. With some levers and rods, this action has two consequences: first the pinion is pushed forwards to the flywheel and second, the lever is pushing a contact on a switch installed on the top of the starter motor, connecting the battery to the motor. With some chance, the engine will start. As I never experienced myself such a starting procedure, owners for car dating from this time will correct me if I'm wrong.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-276-starter-motor-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #572

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The last details were added to the starter motor: the switch, some ribs and the flange for the lever pushing on the switch's button. Now that the assembly is completed, I can do that lever.
    I gave a light coat of primer 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine to avoid further oxidation.
    The apertures at the commutator's end are just here for the fun. They should be wider to be correct. Anyway, a large cover band will be added later, similar to the one for the generator.
    On the pictures I have from Johan, there is another bracket welded on top of the switch for a different actuating lever. On the '32 V-8 photos album, also from Johan, there is no bracket. Therefore I skip it.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-277-starter-motor-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-278-starter-motor-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #573

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    There are still a myriad of small parts do do to declare the transmission "completed": the clutch lever, the upper cover with the shaft for the hand brake, the adapter on the left side with the shaft for the clutch and brake pedals, and son on. I elected to continue towards the rear for a good reason: to be able to finish the frame. Transmission and frame? What is the relation? Easy: there are 6 supports for the engine and transmission: 2 at the front, which are done. Two at the rear of the engine, attached to the frame and finally, two at the end of the transmission attached to the second cross member. I need the complete engine and transmission to do this cross member!
    The next part needed was the housing for the main shaft of the transmission (sans shaft on the model). This part is an assembly of a "hat" and a lower housing. I had the stupid idea to do the lower housing in one piece. The end result was not so good, therefore is did it in two bits assembled with silver solder.
    On the picture, the "hat" has a hole. This was needed to remove the shaft from the idler gear in case of trouble with the transmission installed in the frame.
    The next element will be more complicated with my simple equipment: creating the ball seat, ball assembly and rear support. The ball assembly is needed to allow the drive shaft's tube to follow the movements of the suspension. As my suspension will be active like my other models, I cannot escape this provision.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-279-added-details-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #574

4. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Modelling at its best. I like the details. Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #575

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Markus! Yours is not bad either...

QUOTE QUOTE #576

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    When a scale model is just a push mobile, some liberties are possible. As mentioned in my last post, the torque tube for the drive shaft is attached to a ball. This element is looking like a bell with an outside shape like a ball and the inside shaped in a similar fashion. That ball is pushing on a ball seat and the transmission support is the third member of the assembly. There is a procedure to minimize the free play. That complex set-up is not really suitable for a scale model, so I simplified it. The ball seat in my construction is indeed a ball; the ball as designed by the manufacturer is resting on it. As in reality, the support is closing the assembly.
    At first, I intended to have the ball pushed against the transmission support with a spring, however, as the assembly must prevent the rear axle to go forth and back, I modified my design.
    The first picture is showing the "ball seat"; the ball and rear support are on the second picture. The third one is showing the assembly. I have some free play (maybe 0.2mm - 0.008") which will not be detrimental to the model.
    The rear transmission support is a nice casting 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine which took more time to build as the ball and its seat. Now, I have the total length from the engine and transmission; I will begin the second cross member soon; I may have some other details to do.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-280-ball-seat-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-281-ball-rear-support-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-282-assembly-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #577

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thank you for sharing Roger!

Your posts make me want to get back to the workbench!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #578

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Then, Don, go, go!

QUOTE QUOTE #579

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    As a preparation for the cross member, I assembled the transmission with 3 screws to the engine and put the assembly into the frame. The transmission's supports are about at mid-distance of the frame! The "usable" space is indeed rather small compared to a modern car. No wonder that they offered a longer wheelbase! My model is on the short one, 143".

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-283-frame-engine-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #580

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Beautiful chassis Roger!

I will act upon your suggestion! -But- This last week, at my "day-job" , our "Self taught" machinist has left, and I now have access to our Bridgeport milling machine! (And that has dominated my thoughts!)

It's in very good condition, but is set up for 70's vintage G-Code operation. And though I am pretty familiar with it's use, I have been spending my time studying its many different functions, and how to bypass the operating system, to allow me to work manually. -Of course it has DRO, and somewhere in our storage containers, I know there are a few more vises, and a rotary table! I need to organize all the related tooling, . . . . (I'm good at organizing shops!)

My employers are accommodating, and maybe even anxious to see what I can learn?

I'll keep you posted
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #581

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Could be that when you are confident with that milling machine, you will have two jobs!

QUOTE QUOTE #582

12. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Wow. I think the transmission is very difficult to build.
    QUOTE QUOTE #583

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You are right, Markus. It's not yet complete but, for the moment, I'm busy with the second crossmember.

QUOTE QUOTE #584

14. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Very nice. Your soldering of all those parts on such a small base is impressive.
    QUOTE QUOTE #585

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Paul! Usually it went well, but sometimes there is an incident!

QUOTE QUOTE #586