Close

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 6
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Looks like a lot of thought and work went into that! -I have some small carburetors in my future that will probably be made in a similar fashion! Thank you for showing the way!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #557

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Yes, a lot of calculation based on drawings and pictures. That's what I like, even if the end result is not 100% true!

QUOTE QUOTE #558

3. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    Relief looks good, I look forward to seeing what components will be attached.
    QUOTE QUOTE #559

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    On the left side or the transmission, a large bracket will be attached. This bracket is the pivoting point for the clutch and brake pedals! Another casting 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine part for which I have few details...

QUOTE QUOTE #560

5. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Roger, have you seen this image
    1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-fullsizerender-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #561

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Super picture! All the ones I have are taken from rather near, making difficult to estimate the position of the reliefs. Is that picture from eBay? If yes, I'll have to look at the ad!
    Anyway, thanks for the search.
    The case is identical for all transmissions, V-8, V-12 and V-16. However, the cover is different. This one is really for the V-16 because on the V-8 the gear lever is more towards the rear.

Last edited by Roger Zimmermann; 02-13-21 at 04:10 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #562

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The last details were added on the main body of the transmission. On the LH side: drain and refill plugs. On the RH side: 3 attaching points and the vertical surface for the locking yoke pin plate. On the V-12 and V-16, both front attaching points are used to attach the ratchet for the hand brake lever; on the V-8 cars, the two rear attaching points are used for the ratchet.
    Now, I "just" have to attach the case to the flywheel cover...

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-273-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-274-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #563

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Interesting refinements
    QUOTE QUOTE #564

9. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Okay, good. The email address is in the top of the picture. www.2040-parts.com but it was the only photo of that trans in that listing. The site had other parts for sale.
    QUOTE QUOTE #565

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I saw the address on the picture. I entered it to get a long list of various brands and parts. Probably I did not get deep enough to see that transmission...

QUOTE QUOTE #566

11. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    This v12 is on EBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/17460750295...BoCKAEQAvD_BwE

and this is a new link that did not appear in the previous search https://images.app.goo.gl/9VJKzrC7YnCbicD46

The link I gave you previously did not show up in today's search. Crazy sometimes how these searches give such different results.
    QUOTE QUOTE #567

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Paul to search for me! From the V-16 for sale, I copied some pictures as the ones I have are from a different perspective. I saw on this for sale engine that the shaft between the generator and water pump is just missing.
    Of course, I searched myself with Google with mixed results. There are subtle differences between 1930 engines and 1932 ones. Anyway, thanks!

QUOTE QUOTE #568

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The main case was silver soldered to the flywheel cover. This operation was critical as the transmission must be in a good alignment with the engine.
    Now, I'm two steps away to have the transmission's case ready: the provision for the clutch lever on the LH side and the one for the starter motor on the RH side must be added. As I neglected to measure in detail both elements, I will have to rely on the many pictures I have to do something decent.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-275-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #569

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    If the provision for the clutch lever went not too bad (I have much more time to design and "place" it on the transmission than to do the part), it's another story for the installation of the starter motor. Finally, I began with the motor, working towards the transmission. As I had the length and diameter of the motor, I have the impression that it will be easier to adapt the assembly to the transmission than doing the contrary.
    Just to show you why it's difficult, I'm adding two pictures from the original assembly. You will notice that all elements after the starter motor are at odd angles and not in line with the motor because there was a reduction gear. No picture about what I did because a starter motor is just a cylinder, nothing spectacular.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-starter6-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-transmission-found-9-jpg

The first picture should be turned 90 to be more logic...

QUOTE QUOTE #570

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Roger, you always have such fun!

That looks like a solid weeks worth of just looking and making plans! Maybe more?

Good Luck!
    QUOTE QUOTE #571