Close

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 6
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Ha Ha
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #542

2. PaulPK's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Paul
    Perfect!

Now that you finished the pump, a new photo of a pump, with missing detail information will become available.
    QUOTE QUOTE #543

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulPK View Post
    Perfect!

Now that you finished the pump, a new photo of a pump, with missing detail information will become available.
    It would not be the first time that's happening!

QUOTE QUOTE #544

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Now the water pump could begin to work as I added the three water "tubes" which are indeed solid. Even if those tube are looking easy to do, they were not: the flange must be aligned to the block and the pump; the radius must be tight (I did them by cutting slices into the material and silver soldered the tube) and the length must correspond. The long tube at the LH side should be parallel to the block at both axis; unfortunately, when looking at the picture, you will notice that it's not exactly parallel to the block but, from above or under, it's perfect. When the exhaust and intake manifolds will be installed, this flaw will be unnoticed.
    To do the tubes, I removed the pump's cover. I will now do the shaft with the joints between the generator and pump.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-268-water-tubes-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-267-water-tube-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #545

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Sometimes the initial idea is good and then the realization not so. I wanted to do the flexible joints between the generator and the water pump. In fact, it's simple: two discs with "fingers" and a bit rubber in between. It would be easy to do them at a 1:8 scale, but at 1:12, the end result is so, so. The Dow Corning rubber (An ivory and a black thick liquid are mixes together; my product is about 40 years old!) is nice to do tires but for very small elements like that flexible joint, a reinforced rubber would be more appropriate, but I cannot machine that kind of material. Plus the fact that the "fingers" from the discs are not spaced exactly the same.
    The whole assembly (the shaft between both joints is still to be done) must be under slight pressure, otherwise the joints will not stay together!
    Anyway, something is not bad: I added the "gland" for the lubrication of the water pump shaft; it's not bad looking. The gland, the joints and the shaft will be chromed. A lot of chromed parts were used on this engine.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-269-flexible-joints-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #546

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger,

It looks pretty good to me.

Had you considered black rubber sheeting, an old innertube? 3M makes a double sided tape, sold in auto supply shops, that is black and squishy? Sharpen the edge to an appropriate Brass tube, to make a disc cutter, and you can make as many as you want. -the adhesive can be used to advantage or defeated with several methods.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #547

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    If it should be just a disc, no problem. But it must have 8 slots for the "fingers", this is the complication!

QUOTE QUOTE #548

8. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    I have the same problem with the flexible drive on the 1/8 Alfa - but in this case the edge of the rubber disc looks like a wavy line. Can you mount the two drive pieces at the correct distance and fill with silicone? Then turn the excess rubber off in the lathe? Perhaps a solid shaft through both sides would help with machining, it's difficuclt to turn something "floppy"....
    QUOTE QUOTE #549

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Jo, it was the process I used, but with the more or less liquid silicone rubber. The assembly was put into a cylinder to keep the product where I wanted to have it.

Finally, those flexible joints are not too bad. I cleaned a bit more the flashes from the silicone rubber; once installed, the joints are decently looking. They even do their job as you can see at the water pump: the pump is not exactly aligned with the generator and looking at the joint, the upper "rubber" is thinner 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine than at the bottom. If necessary, I can rotate the shaft but, as I had to make some compression at the joints, there is a lot of friction. Nevertheless, this is a static model and, when the carb will be installed, there will be no possibility to play with the shaft.
    To accelerate the process with the silicone rubber, I heated it with the mold at about 100C or more. The excess product took about two days to polymerize at room temperature!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-270-installed-shaft-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #550

10. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    I'm up-to-date reading this topic. Amazing, just amazing work -again-.

So happy that you decided to do one more model! Every part, every detail you manufacture I consider as a bonus that we can learn from!

The engine looks great so far.
    QUOTE QUOTE #551

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Roy!
    As you can see, the engine is not yet complete. However, I decided to go rear with the transmission to change the task.

QUOTE QUOTE #552

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The pictured parts will be the transmission. The "thing" at left is the main case and the other one at right should be the junction between the case and the flywheel case. Some hammer blows are still needed as well as some more work. Like all elements, the beginning is sometimes rather crude.
    No, the engine is not ready but I wanted to do something else.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-271-transmission-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #553

13. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy
    Parts look a bit rough indeed, but we know that will get refined.

The right part was made by hammering over a round shape and then drilling the hole?
    QUOTE QUOTE #554

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The hole was drilled first. Then hammering on a body doll. I could not get the depth I wanted, therefore I cut a slice and silver soldered. Maybe is not deep enough, this is why I began the main case.

QUOTE QUOTE #555

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The last few days saw some improvements at the parts from the transmission. Elements were added at the main body; some more will come next. At first, I intended to adjust the main body to the flywheel cover; finally, I inserted the body into the cover. With this move, it will be easier to control distances and alignment. Both elements are not yet soldered; I will first add details on the RH side of the main body.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-272-transmission-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #556