Close

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 5
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks for the suggestions. Shaping a tube is not a realistic solution as the attached picture can reveal. Most probably, as Don is suggesting, a large brass piece can be shaped to get the result. As there is nothing circulating into the tube, it must not be hollow.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-2013-10-04-12-41-10-jpg

Don: I see you have Swiss money! According to some details, it could be a CHF 2 coin. The quarter I'm using now was found in my "new" '72 Cadillac coupe de Ville I have now since a bit more than 1 year; the car came from Florida.

QUOTE QUOTE #527

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Wow! That coin was found in my Hispano-Suisa!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #528

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    just kidding!
    QUOTE QUOTE #529

4. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy

Now on forums or on Facebook, usually results like these are shown as they are: results. No explanation about how all of this was done, achieved; simply the result of hard, long work. Those who read that are all in awe and will say 'incredible work, unbelievable that you can do this', not knowing all difficulties encountered and solved. My problem with that is, while it's glorious for the builder, it can scare off modellers. They tend to think "I'll never be able to do this" and I know cases of fine modellers having stopped the hobby because of an inferiority complex.

By describing the whole process, you make it clear that all of this is a matter of 1) patience; 2) technique; 3) that you can learn; 4) while using the right materials; 5) and tools; 6) with lots of experience. I have always thought this method of reporting of one's build is a benefit to our hobby.

And even though I said all of this, I am still thrilled to see that remarkable result... six beautiful completed wheels with very challenging spoking.

As you see I only got to page 5 of this topic but am enjoying it as much as I did studying the Continental one.
    QUOTE QUOTE #530

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Roy is right! This forum is almost alone in having so many excellent step by step examples, and in so many different methods, and materials! -And Roger has been central to all of that.

Thank you Roger! Thank you for showing all of us!
    QUOTE QUOTE #531

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You are welcome! No funny explanation this time: just file and file until the part is more or less right...
    Finally, the water pump cover is ready. Maybe not ready for paint, but there will be only cosmetic improvements, if any. The "long" tube was done with a full bar; the end on which the rubber hose will be attached is a short tube silver soldered on the bar. That assembly was then silver soldered on the cover you saw recently. Other small details were soft soldered.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-260-water-pump-cover-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-261-water-pump-cover-jpg

It's now the turn to the main body for the pump. Again a battle to get it, but not as bad as the one in the Capitol.

QUOTE QUOTE #532

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Three details, the Drain at the bottom, the Square head plug on the side, and the "Thumb screw" on the top.

Obviously your local hobby shop is very well stocked!

I wish I could just buy what I need!
    QUOTE QUOTE #533

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    That hobby shop has almost everything I'm needing!

QUOTE QUOTE #534

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    QUOTE QUOTE #535

10. Roy vd M.'s Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Roy

(Post 337)

What a clever solution!

These are true learning moments for me. Thinking out of the box.

23 of 36 pages done now
    QUOTE QUOTE #536

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Either one has the machines or ideas! Roy, thanks for your comment and you patience to read all my posts.

QUOTE QUOTE #537