Close

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (3 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 5
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    A pictorial review?

...and I worry about those who for unknown reasons have stopped posting.
    That's right, Don. Over the years, there were a lot of people posting, making comments on topic from others; all that went down on a regular basis. Some people are no more on this planet; other have other interests or no time or no envy. That's life! By the way, this is about the same with other forums.

QUOTE QUOTE #437

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Crankcase finished for now, -what color does it become? Did Cadillac have a dedicated colour for their engines?
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #438

3. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I'm not sure if they painted the crankcase but the ones online all seem to be raw aluminum.
    Last edited by ScaleMotorcars; 11-03-20 at 07:03 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #439

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    That's correct: crankcase and oil pan are cast aluminum; they stayed that way. On restored cars, those elements are mostly painted aluminum to hide the stains on the metal. Engine blocks and valve covers are painted black, with some ribs polished at the valve covers. Many elements from the engine were chrome plated 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine .

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-1932-engine-jpg

Last edited by Roger Zimmermann; 11-04-20 at 03:33 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #440

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    As I had some elements already done for the generator, I decided to continue with it before I'm going to the oil pan. A generator is a stupid round cylinder with some small details. Regarding the details, I did some: the screws to attach the pole pieces (they are fake, a word used frequently those last 4 years), the oiling funnel, also a fake, at the back cover, the small retaining plate for the bearing at the back cover, held with 3 screws. The difficulty I had was to determine the angular relation with each other. I think I'm not too bad.
    Another detail which cannot be overviewed: the air outlet tube, which is screwed on the generator; the inlet conduit will be done when I have the blocks and exhaust manifolds. Here too, I had to guess its position; it's not vertical but inclined towards the exterior. This why I cannot do it now, I have to wait for the other parts.
    There are still details to come: the cover over the slots at the back of the generator and both oiling cups (fakes) for the front and rear bearings in addition to the air inlet tube.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-228-generator-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #441

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Interesting detail.

There is nothing "fake" about your modeling.

This is "real" modeling.

Your a modeler's modeler!
    QUOTE QUOTE #442

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Don, you asked recently for a picture with what's already done. Here it is!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-229-sub-assy-ready-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #443

8. gbritnell's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    George
    Still following along Roger. Great work as usual! When making my model engines I use some 'fake parts' also. Sometimes I get asked, "does the alternator work?"
    Just trying to be diplomatic I reply "no it's just part of the engine."
    gbritnell
    QUOTE QUOTE #444

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thank you Roger!

And; "WOW!"

You are my kind of craftsman. No boasting, your work says it all.

You must get a lot of satisfaction from this kind of work. -to those of us who know what's involved in it's making, it does "speak" to us and tells us something about it's maker.
    QUOTE QUOTE #445

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks George and Don for the messages!

QUOTE QUOTE #446

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    As the oil pan is attached to the transmission, I had first to continue with the transmission's flange. I had to "repair" it, by silver soldering a bit brass because I removed too much metal...It's not the first time, and not the last one!
    Now that the points for the lower attaching bolts have been set, I began the oil pan. The location for the starter motor is not yet set ; it will be done later when the oil pan has more details done.
    For the moment, I have two separate parts: the flange and the pan. Both will probably be soft soldered as such long thin stripes are very unstable when heat is applied.
    I'm adding also a picture from a real part.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-229-oil-pan-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-oil-pan-fitted-2-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #447

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    After your Continental? -this looks easy. (I know it isn't, long thin pieces can slide and warp under the flame, and Murphy hasn't been seen at my bench for a while, so be careful, he might be on a Swiss vacation!)
    QUOTE QUOTE #448

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    He was just here yesterday when I silver soldered the curved piece on the flange! One "rail" got distorted during the process (I did not saw it); the other side soldered at an unwanted place. I could rescue the matter, but Mr. Murphy is certainly not far away!

QUOTE QUOTE #449

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The pan itself was continued by closing the front end. Before it was soldered to the assembly, I milled some slots to help positioning the cooling fins. After that, I silver soldered the fins and trimmed them.
    The first pictures is showing the pan and the prepared fins; the second picture is self-explanatory. Further additions will be soft soldered.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-230-oil-pan-fins-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-231-soldered-fins-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #450

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Diamond wheel ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #451