Close

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 3
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    There were some additions made to the LH spring support: the bearing and a fin connecting the upper leg to the bearing. Some minor additions are still needed to complete the first support.
    When I drilled the 4 holes at each support, I noticed later to my dismay that 3 were at the wrong place, due to a wrong reasoning! I closed the holes and drill new ones at the right place.
    To continue with the positioning of the support to the frame, I had to disassemble it (once more) because I cannot drill the necessary hole from inside, the other frame rail in on the way. Then, with a lot of R & R, the holes at the frame for the support could be done.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-172-support-front-spring-jpg

When that LH support will be finished, I will do the same on the other side.

QUOTE QUOTE #332

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Both rear supports for the front springs are ready. To facilitate the future assembly of the frame, the supports are soft soldered at the first cross member. All the holes you can see on the side of the cross member are for the rivets. There will be 30 rivets for that assembly, but not all will be effectively riveted because the access at the rear of the rivets is just impossible.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-173-soldered-supports-jpg

I will do now the recess on the frame rails for the front brake cable; I added a picture of the real recess. I could not do it before because the relationship between the recess and the rear supports must be exact.
    On the real frame, that recess is stamped. I cannot do it that way, it will be a separate element soft soldered.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-support-chassis-v8-28-jpg

Last edited by Roger Zimmermann; 07-23-20 at 11:09 AM. Reason: missing word
    QUOTE QUOTE #333

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    It is a "skill" to assess a design feature, and then decide how best to proceed!

I too often will stubbornly try to do too much "as it should be" forgetting that I am making a model, and as long as it is accurate in appearance and function, -it is less important, how I got there!

This sub-assembly of yours has more parts to it than many model kits!

Thank you for sharing!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #334

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You are welcome Don!
    Yes the number of elements to constitute this subassembly is impressive for just 60 x 70 mm!
    The way to proceed is conditioned by 2 facts: the lack of a real blueprint (like I had for the Toronado's frame and underbody) and my own limitations with tools. Many years ago, I would have proceed differently to have a mess at the moment when the subassemblies are put together!

QUOTE QUOTE #335

5. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    I've read that every part of a model is a model of that part. Your work illustrates this beautifully.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #336

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Buck! We can say also a bit differently: by imagining the number of parts needed to do one model (no matter which one), the first reaction is discouragement. However, by taking each sub-assembly as a model for it, it's manageable.

QUOTE QUOTE #337

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    First, I did the aperture in both frame rails

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-174-aperture-jpg

and then a modified half cylindrical insert was soft soldered. Not a big deal, but it was needed to have functioning front brakes.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-175-completed-jpg

I'm going now further to the front with a small reinforcement which will be installed after the first cross member is riveted to the rails. I'm also attaching a picture from that part.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-crossmember1-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #338

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Question?

When your finished, will you be replicating the same paint finish?

Or improving on it?
    QUOTE QUOTE #339

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Certainly not that green which is almost black when the light is not strong. What will I do for a paint? No idea, but something lighter, like yellow, light bue or what ever I will like at the right moment!

QUOTE QUOTE #340

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Both small reinforcements are done; thee holes for the rivets will be drilled with the rails when it will be time to assemble the whole frame which will happen soon.
    I also did and soft soldered the large nuts for the front shock absorbers. Two are hidden behind the tower; they had to be attached before the assembly. The rear nuts had to be modified a bit: the rear of the tower should be more vertical. That's the kind of errors which are discovered late and cannot be corrected unless the whole sub-assembly is discarded and a new is made.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-176-reinforcement-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #341

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Lately, I'm trying to do on the frame rails all what I can before the definitive assembly. The holes for the engine support, steering gear and idle lever for the shock absorbers are all done; even if I don't have the precise location, those holes should be more or less at their correct place.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-178-holes-jpg

There is also another small part added: the bracket for the hood fastener at the front; after the assembly, it would not have been possible riveting that small part to the frame rail.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-177-bracket-hood-jpg

Another check at the lose parts and the assembly will begin!

QUOTE QUOTE #342

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The cross members # 1, # 3 and # 4 have been soft soldered on the RH side rail.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-179-half-frame-jpg

The small reinforcement at the front is also soldered but the holes for the rivets not yet done. I could rivet # 1 and # 4; the rivets for the # 3 will be fake because I should do about one tool for one rivet and the chance that the outcome will be good is far from garanteed. The rivets will simply be pushed into the holes and soft soldered. The other side is hardly visible. I'm adding a picture showing most of the tools I need to rivet the cross members.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-180-riveting-tools-jpg

I will do now the same treatment with the LH side rail. The last cross member will be installed next.
    As I stated earlier, the cross member # 2 will be done and adapted to the powertrain/frame once the engine & transmission are done.

QUOTE QUOTE #343