Close

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jul 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 3
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You are welcome Markus!

QUOTE QUOTE #302

2. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    Two masters on stage! Great...
    Dan.
    QUOTE QUOTE #303

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    And you are the third one, Dan!

If the upper half was requiring some tooling, it was more economical with silver soldering: only the end flanges to be riveted at the side of the rail were added. It was a different matter with the lower part: no tooling, but the parts is an assembly of 9 pieces. The pictures are attached showing the various steps.
    The lower "legs" were adjusted by removing excess material until the frame rails were square. This cross member is very rigid, adding a lot of strength to the frame.
    Logically I would now do the second cross member, but I will do indeed the first one. The reason is that when the first cross member is ready, it will be easier to locate the second one as I have the length of the engine and transmission. The second cross bar is indeed the support for the transmission, it must be positioned correctly!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-158-third-cross-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-159-continue-cross-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-160-continue-cross-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-161-cross-ready-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-162-cross-ready-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #304

4. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    "And you are the third one, Dan!"

I would like... But I'm far to the quality of your work, both of yours.
    Dan.
    QUOTE QUOTE #305

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Tss, tss! Don't underestimate what you are doing!

QUOTE QUOTE #306

6. happyfreddy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    freddy
    It is not relevant to claim any title like master or so.
    The only thing which is important is that everyone is doing itīs best with the workingtools and ideas
    he ownes.
    Working with simple tools like small lathe or milling machine never is the same if anyopne uses a 4 axle
    professional CNC milling machine. Maybe the second one is still perfect in maximum, but You never can say
    I have done it with my own hands.
    Iīll think that`s the important difference

So I only can say CHAPEAU ROGER MARKUS DAN and the others ............
    QUOTE QUOTE #307

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You are right Freddy. Scale modeling is not a competition, it's here to keep people busy with things they like. Some "end products" are almost perfect, some not. Who cares? The one who did it must be happy with it!
    To me, modeling with 3-D printing or CNC machines are more for kits sold in quantities. There is always the question about equipment. Some are really needed: how can you do a wheel without a lathe? Doing it with a 3-D printer? To me it's no more modelling, the skill is not needed. Only competence in programing.
    This is a subject which can go on for pages; at the end, no matter if the tools are primitive or oversophisticated, it must please the person who is "at the wheel"!

QUOTE QUOTE #308

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    As I anticipated, the first cross member is far from easy. I gather all pictures I had which were in relation with that element, just to notice that I had nothing clear showing the underside of the cross member. That part is not a single stamped element; a second thick piece of stamped steel is riveted to the top one. Fortunately, a member from the AACA forum provided good photos from his V-12. Thanks Alex!
    Many element from the frame were available separately as listed in the parts list. Can you imagine the work required to remove a damage cross member by grinding each rivet, removing the part, adjusting the new one and installing it with new rivets?
    Anyway, with all the pictures, I could begin. But with what? the front? the rear? I opted with the rear because it represents a rather large single element. With that, I could continue towards the front. What you see, temporarily inserted in the frame, is constituted with 6 pieces silver soldered. I expected to reduce the number of elements by doing the front flange in one piece. After grinding, cutting, hammering, I realized that it's just a no go. Therefore, I cut the front flange (in the front at the picture) and will adapt it and silver solder to the existing sub-assembly.
    Both pieces of brass soft soldered on the frame are just there to stabilize the frame the time I'm doing the first cross member.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-163-front-cross-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #309

9. happyfreddy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    freddy
    Roger ,
    again old Murphys law ...........
    If You donīt have any work make it happen
    Even mistakes have the right to exsist.......so donīt worry
    ( be happy to have learned something new again )
    QUOTE QUOTE #310

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The upper part from the front cross member is ready. With the four integrated nuts at the front (they could be for the front fender attachment supports), 13 parts are silver soldered together. Some stampings were done: 2 round ones in the front for the radiator, two indentations at the almost vertical "tower" and 2 further rear for the engine supports. The tools to perform the indentations used much more time than the pressing!
    Most holes as provided by the factory were done too; of course, the ones for the rivets (more than 20) will be drilled together with the side rails before the definitive assembly.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-165-front-cross-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-164-front-cross-jpg

The next task is to do the reinforcement element located under the radiator. This part will be assembled with 4 additional rivets at the upper part, which seems not a lot. I don't know if some welding were performed to attach more securely both parts; mines will be soft soldered, plus the rivets.

QUOTE QUOTE #311

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Not as simple as the Continental?

I wonder how much the actual part weighs?

You make this look easy!

Good work!!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #312

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Don!
    No, it's more complex than the Mark II frame. Lot of compound curves, especially the first cross member; lot of castings for the suspension's brackets. What a little bit more than 20 years can do!

QUOTE QUOTE #313

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    And a world war!

A lot of new ideas about how to make things were developed in that war.

And, after the war, all those machines were put to better use.

Making Continental Mark II’s and eventually Avantis!
    QUOTE QUOTE #314

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Sure the war had a great input on many aspects of manufacturing and technical improvements. However, the thirties saw a lot of changes with IFS, hydraulic brakes, automatic transmissions (OK, it was 1940) and so on.

QUOTE QUOTE #315

15. DominiqueBeerts's Avatar Avid Belgian
    Name
    Dominique
    I am still reading and following in silence (and in awe ...).

Great work!!
    Best regards,
    Dominique.

Feel free to browse through my photo albums
    QUOTE QUOTE #316